Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's True...Flat Earthers Are Increasing Since Trump Election

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:12 PM

I've commented on this before....Trump's election is bad for education and increases ignorance in the USA. Another poll

demonstrates the increase in science deniers such as those denying humans are causing rapid global warming. Religion

plays a huge part in whether one thinks the Earth is a flat circle or a globe like our moon and other planets.

The results of this poll even surprise me in just how ignorant and untrusting in science Americans are. The major Creationist

websites...AIG, ICR and Discovery Institute....don't openly promote a flat Earth. They just claim the Bible is without error

and ignore several verses that mention a flat, round or an Earth with corners.

SOURCE: YouGov | Most flat earthers consider themselves very religious

Data from YouGov Profiles suggests a link  Screen%20Shot%202018-03-30%20at%2010.40.between belief in a flat earth and spirituality. For some flat earthers, evidence of the earth’s shape may be found in scripture – more than half of Flat earthers (52%) consider themselves “very religious,” compared to just a fifth of all Americans (20%).

Read more results from this poll here

Learn more about
YouGov Omnibus and YouGov Profiles

Photo: Getty

SCREEN SHOT OF POLL RESULTS

lCtalFV.png

Edited by buddy215, 04 April 2018 - 12:20 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

Just wants to make one............. :scratchhead:

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:12 PM

Reminds me of Jay Leno years back asking a college graduate if the moon revolves around the earth or vice versa.
Answer: "Gee, I don't know much about astrology!" 
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

@r.a.d

I don't know much about astrology either, but I do know that, according to Sir Isaac Newton, the answer to the question is both !  Oh yes, and I believe that both bodies are approximately spherical

Chris Cosgrove

#5 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:46 PM

r.a.d. .....That reminds me of something that took place in 2010....I got a good laugh then and did a search to find the article from Forbes.

It is a rather lengthy article...I'll quote some of the fun stuff.

First....QUOTE a bit of a resolution passed by the South Dakota state legislature:

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the House of Representatives of the Eighty-fifth Legislature of the State of South Dakota, the Senate concurring therein, that the South Dakota Legislature urges that instruction in the public schools relating to global warming include the following:

(1) That global warming is a scientific theory rather than a proven fact;

(2) That there are a variety of climatological, meteorological, astrological, thermological, cosmological, and ecological dynamics that can effect world weather phenomena and that the significance and interrelativity of these factors is largely speculative; and

SOURCE: South Dakota legislature declares that astrology can explain global warming

QUOTE a bit:

Here in the U.S. we have a never-ending competition among the states to see which one can enact the dumbest laws. This past week, the South Dakota House of Representatives passed a law that tells schoolteachers how to present the evidence for global warming. … Interestingly, they used the same strategy used by creationists in their efforts to ban the teaching of evolution: the “teach the controversy” approach, where you claim you simply want children to hear both sides of the issue. But the part that really got my attention was the law’s claim that “astrological dynamics” are one of the driving forces behind global climate change.

The South Dakota bill, which was passed 36-30 (not all the legislators are idiots; here’s the roll call vote), includes a number of delightful errors, which are worth examining one by one. Let’s start with the most entertaining claim: [It’s quoted above.]

The South Dakota legislature has declared, by majority vote, that the ancient pseudoscience of astrology “can effect world weather”! Astrology, of course, is a superstitious belief that the movements of stars and planets can affect our daily lives here on Earth, a belief that has no basis in science. Some people – including, apparently, the South Dakota legislature – still take it seriously, although most view astrological forecasts as light entertainment.

Do the lawmakers in South Dakota really think that the enormous Greenland ice sheet formed in just the past thousand years? The best scientific evidence suggests that the ice sheet is over 100,000 years old. Maybe one of the South Dakota lawmakers is a descendant of Erik the Red, and he just wanted to mention his ancestor in the law.

The “gas of life” – so I guess this means it can’t possibly harm us. A stunning piece of logic. The mind boggles, the room spins about us.

This language is identical to that used by creationists in their attempts to undermine the teaching of evolution. Revealing his true agenda, Republican state representative Don Kopp said to the Rapid City (SD) Journal, “If you’re going to teach science and there are two sides, you need to teach both, or it’s about politics.”

Sorry, Mr. Kopp, but no. Any idiot can take an opposing side on any issue – some people think the Earth is flat – but that doesn’t mean we should teach it.

hlHYajO.png

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

Chris Cosgrove, yep, and celestial bodies in the solar system/universe orbit one another in some fashion, but with a fixed point of reference (earth), the moon orbits us from that perspective.
The humor in the answer pointed out the graduate's not knowing the difference between astrology and astronomy. :)
Yet I find it hard to believe (according to the posted article) that some might actually stil believe the earth is flat, contrary to an abundance of proof otherwise. 

#7 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

As the article at Forbes mentioned....Any idiot can take an opposing side on any issue – some people think the Earth is flat – but that doesn’t mean we should teach it.

I would almost be willing to bet that one day in the not too distant future a politician will offer a bill or resolution demanding that the evidence for a flat Earth be included

in public schools geography classes. Going out on a very short limb....it will likely be a Republican pol...aka...Retaliban pol.

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

This virus is spreading.

Earth is Flat Confirms Cretin After Watching YouTube Video
Satire

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2018/03/15/earth-is-flat-confirms-cretin-after-watching-youtube-video/

Simple logic proves the Earth is a globe.

Earth isnt flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now if it was, confirm scientists
Satire

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2018/03/16/the-earth-isnt-flat-if-it-was-cats-would-have-pushed-everything-off-the-edge-by-now-say-scientists/

Edited by Bezukhov, 04 April 2018 - 07:09 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:24 PM

I may have caught that flat earth virus in an earlier thread (conspiracy theories) or it was a brain fart, which at my age happens frequently, with the saving grace that they make no sound. :)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/640936/whats-the-craziest-conspiracy-theories-youve-ever-heard-of/page-4#entry4335724

Edit: buddy, sorry, I completely missed your post #5 while responding (yet another brain ....), and you're right, one can only laugh, beats crying for sure.
What the heck is 'astrological dynamics'? The signs of the zodiac portending calamity? 
Some people need a dose of logic.

Edited by r.a.d., 04 April 2018 - 08:05 PM.

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

Simple logic proves the Earth is a globe.

Earth isnt flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now if it was, confirm scientists
Satire

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2018/03/16/the-earth-isnt-flat-if-it-was-cats-would-have-pushed-everything-off-the-edge-by-now-say-scientists/

I kinda have to agree with this.

it was a brain fart, which at my age happens frequently, with the saving grace that they make no sound. :)

Yep I can relate and it does happen frequently at my age also. :lol: 

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

Where did the Earth is hollow group go to??  

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Where did the Earth is hollow group go to??  

Trump's administration.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

Lunar Eclipse.  :crazy:

DPkd0YBXcAANi4c.jpg

#14 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

The hollow earth is indeed real, been there recently. We're having Mammoth steaks on the BBQ tonight, Flintstone's style:

F-171.jpg

#15 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

JohnC....I shrunk that image of the lunar eclipse....good one!  :)  

NMBe14Z.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users