Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS Laptop can't update to Win 10 1709. Hassled on a daily basis.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Mhoople

Mhoople

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

I have an Asus ROG GL551JM. I've been hassled by this for 2 months now. Recently I enlisted Microsoft support twice. They took control of the laptop. The 1st one spent an hour and said it was well on it's way. The update failed. Then some weeks later another tried it and said my Bios was from 2014 and had to be at least from 2016. I then tried help from Asus. She walked me through updating the bios but I only seem to be allowed to install version 205 which seems to be from 2015. All the updates say they fail and then restore an earlier version. Today, it just went in a loop and was impossible to boot until I got a tip to press shift and power. I've been unable to turn off the updates.I tried a number of suggestions to turn off updates. Recently one I found here (Latest large Win 10 update won't install (don't want it to :D) - Windows 10 Support). Without luck I tried using the command prompt then entering net stop wuauserv. Any help appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

who are these people who are controlling your computer remotely??.....i would never allow that, seems sketchy, and i don't think they were REALLY from microsoft,

on a side note.....your BIOS wouldn't have anything to do with updates, or causing them to fail

#3 Mhoople

Mhoople
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

It's Microsoft support. You give them permission for a bit to try to do it. They could tell you to do this and that or just do it themselves quicker. When they finish permission is withdrawn. I just tried another way to stop updates that I've tried before. Using the windows key and r to get to services. I turned off updates and a short time later got the update notify again as seen in attached jpg.

Attached Files

Edited by Mhoople, 04 April 2018 - 11:47 AM.

#4 null__

null__

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

What Mikey is saying is there are a lot of companies that claim to be Microsoft that will then ask you for remote control of your computer. Have you tried contacting Asus by chance? They have always assisted when I needed it. Another thing you could do is to load Win 10 onto a thumb drive and install it that way. You should be presented with an option to save your data (however programs installed will be removed).

#5 Mhoople

Mhoople
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

I did contact Asus and the person gave me the link to update the bios. The link indicated a date of 2015 after I had done it. Microsoft person said the bios had to be at least 2016. I couldn't find a newer bios. I would regret having to do that thing with the thumb drive rather than just figure out why it won't update or how to turn off updates. For my level it seems like errors could be made. I'm assuming the update doesn't work for all computers yet. I wish they had waited to release it until it did.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

@ Mhoople #3

That pop-up you show a screen shot of is not advising you of an available update, it is asking/telling you to restart your computer to complete the update install.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

Did you pay microsoft to connect to your computer?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0346-tech-support-scams

7581204627.png

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,039 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

Our great member jenae has provided the best fix for these update issues. Let us know if you have any questions.

Attached Files

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

I did contact Asus and the person gave me the link to update the bios. The link indicated a date of 2015 after I had done it. Microsoft person said the bios had to be at least 2016. I couldn't find a newer bios. I would regret having to do that thing with the thumb drive rather than just figure out why it won't update or how to turn off updates. For my level it seems like errors could be made. I'm assuming the update doesn't work for all computers yet. I wish they had waited to release it until it did.

I will never understand why it's considered a valuable investment of time to figure out why what is likely a "one off" flake out with a cumulative or feature update won't take rather than using a technique to work around it.  The reasons why any individual machine might have some sort of corruption or glitch that blocks an update from taking normally are myriad, while the common workarounds for same are both few and fast.

I have gotten the few computers I've had to work with that wouldn't update around it by using the method to Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  Others have been discussed, repeatedly, on this very forum.

I really don't care to spend hours and hours trying to determine the root cause for something when that cause is highly unlikely to recur.  I just want the fix and to get on with life.

If you have hardware that started out life as Windows 8 or later there's virtually no chance that an update problem is related to the hardware itself (unless it's malfunctioning, in which case you will need to fix what is).  Even the vast majority of hardware that started out life with Windows 7 has no issue with Windows 10.  I have yet to see any instance where the BIOS or UEFI version has had anything to do with an update not taking.

Edited by britechguy, 04 April 2018 - 07:16 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 Mhoople

Mhoople
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

Did you pay microsoft to connect to your computer?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0346-tech-support-scams

I heard something the 1st time about charging after the 1st time but didn't quite catch it. I didn't hear it the 2nd time but maybe because I had mentioned that their attempt the 1st time didn't work.

#11 Mhoople

Mhoople
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

Our great member jenae has provided the best fix for these update issues. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks. I'll be trying to figure that out. On one level it seems to giving info for people like me with basic skills and on the other some stuff I don't have experience with.

Edited by Mhoople, 05 April 2018 - 11:56 AM.

#12 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,039 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

I am happy to walk you through any of it or answer questions.

Another option that might be easier to try first, is to perform a repair install as follows. I recommend creating a restore point and backing up your files as a precaution. Althoguh it is very rare to experience any issues with this procedure.

Windows 10 Repair Install
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085?auth=1

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#13 Mhoople

Mhoople
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

I will never understand why it's considered a valuable investment of time to figure out why what is likely a "one off" flake out with a cumulative or feature update won't take rather than using a technique to work around it.  The reasons why any individual machine might have some sort of corruption or glitch that blocks an update from taking normally are myriad, while the common workarounds for same are both few and fast.

I have gotten the few computers I've had to work with that wouldn't update around it by using the method to Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  Others have been discussed, repeatedly, on this very forum.

I really don't care to spend hours and hours trying to determine the root cause for something when that cause is highly unlikely to recur.  I just want the fix and to get on with life.

If you have hardware that started out life as Windows 8 or later there's virtually no chance that an update problem is related to the hardware itself (unless it's malfunctioning, in which case you will need to fix what is).  Even the vast majority of hardware that started out life with Windows 7 has no issue with Windows 10.  I have yet to see any instance where the BIOS or UEFI version has had anything to do with an update not taking.

Thanks for the reply. Installing from ISO is all new area for me but appreciate how it's laid out step by step. By the way it's that "using a technique to work around it." that I've been searching for. I didn't have problems with updates until this 1709 one.

#14 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,039 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

There are multiple reasons for failed updates. Often they are caused by third party antivirus programs and or bad drivers. For best results I recommend only using Windows Defender and performing updates in safe mode with networking. The next spring update that will hopefully be out soon is suppose to fix a lot of issues so many users are hidding these updates and waiting for this update.

#15 Mhoople

Mhoople
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

There are multiple reasons for failed updates. Often they are caused by third party antivirus programs and or bad drivers. For best results I recommend only using Windows Defender and performing updates in safe mode with networking. The next spring update that will hopefully be out soon is suppose to fix a lot of issues so many users are hidding these updates and waiting for this update.

Many weeks ago I took off the only extra anti-virus I had Malwarebytes but the update still failed. It's just a home laptop so not sure what's meant by installing through networking.. Actually it's going through it's daily ritual of downloading it all again so after this I try switching to safe mode. I haven't tried that yet. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users