Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a Bootable Linux USB in Snow Leopard ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OCT8

OCT8

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

The time has come for me to say goodbye to Snow Leopard  for online use since Firefox pulled the plug last year in it's support of Snow Leopard  for me to look to other operating systems where becasue of prior experience of Linux, well Linux was the logical way forward given my computer a white early 2008 macbook won't run anything more than Lion of which is also not supported by just about everything.

So Linux it is but I have a problem, the CD drive has long ago ceased to function for me to have to consider the creation of a bootable Linux distro USB of which I am not finding easy as all the guidance on the web appears to be for later operating systems for software that doesn't work with Snow Leopard.

Has anyone any ideas or at least a solution to this problem of creating a bootable USB in snow leopard ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

Three possible ways.

If it runs then use UnetBootin for a Mac.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

If UnetBootin does not work use the dd terminal command but this can be dangerous if the command is not inputted carefully. Make sure you have the correct devices in your command line. I do not know if the dd command is available in Snow Leopard.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/06/05/copy-iso-to-usb-drive-mac-os-x-command/

Using Etcher. 

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-macos#0

#3 OCT8

OCT8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Thanks , though I have to say, of your links the only one I have not tried is the command line of which I have been avoiding where of the other two, neither work for Unetbootin to not be able to find my USB and Etcher doesn't work with my version of OSX.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

Then you will need to use the dd command to write the iso to the USB flash drive. If you get the command wrong it's possible you could dd to the hard drive and not the USB so it's imperative the correct devices are and their order are used in the command.

#5 OCT8

OCT8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

Alas that is not working either, to find this ;

unount(/Volumes/FAT32): Resource busy -- try 'diskutil unmount'

Where this is why I have been avoiding the terminal function for the rabbit holes I can perceive opening up because I don't know enough about coding to know what I am doing.

And then there's this;

How I installed Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS on an old MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo (T7200)

To at least have an idea of what doesn't work and what does, on a Macbook of this age, where there is one option open to me and that is to buy a bootable Linux USB off ebay.

But thanks anyway.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

Do you have a library that has access to the internet and the ability to download? All you would need would be a Windows computer and Rufus which can be run as portable.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I believe on the unmount command it would be 

sudo unmount/dev/<your device name>   

device name being found using the diskutil list command

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:21 PM

Just keep in mind that it's possible that your MacBook is beyond hope with Linux as Linux and Mac books off and don't get along unfortunately thanks to Apple's crappy proprietary Hardware bullbleep, as for getting Linux install discs there's always https://www.osdisc.com

Hopefully this will work my suggestion for you if you're new to Linux is Linux Mint as it will be very friendly to you if you're familiar with the windows environment mint is more targeted at Windows users but it should suffice

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 OCT8

OCT8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:36 AM

Just keep in mind that it's possible that your MacBook is beyond hope with Linux as Linux and Mac books off and don't get along unfortunately thanks to Apple's crappy proprietary Hardware bullbleep, as for getting Linux install discs there's always https://www.osdisc.com

Hopefully this will work my suggestion for you if you're new to Linux is Linux Mint as it will be very friendly to you if you're familiar with the windows environment mint is more targeted at Windows users but it should suffice

Thanks though I am not that new to Linux through having used Mint Rebecca and Qiana in both Cinnamon and XFCE formats dual booted, even treble booted on a windows desktop also running win 7 of which I never went near for a year to be horrified at the updates when I finally did log in. LXLE on another ex Win XP laptop with broadcom wireless and yeah I have tried Ubuntu before.

What I have not done was what I have been trying to do on a Macbook with a knackered cd drive to replace or maybe dual boot with snow leopard to use Linux online and snow leopard for my apps one of which I cannot do without given the learning curve for Gimp is far too steep for me and yes, I have given it a good go. But if not dual boot just install Linux complete and run SL and my apps via an external drive of which is what I am sort of doing now given reinstalling on another drive from a Time Machine backup killed my Photoshop installation - a problem with Adobe I understand, but I have the original installation on an external drive to be using it that way. And am not worried about losing SL if something should go wrong as I have the Time Machine, a bootable SL install USB and I even have two cloned drives.

So, what have I done, well I have for now bought and already installed bootable Ubuntu 16.04 LTS USB from ebay that supposedly can be used on an old Mac, so we'll see when that turns up and take it from there, but one thing I have learned from this exercise is that I do really need to get away from clicking windows and learn a bit of coding to at least understand what I am seeing in the terminal function to not run for the hills every time I try to follow online instruction that does not do what the online says it should do.

But I will be surprised if Linux does not work to reasonable satisfaction on this 10 year old Macbook given the Linux boast of reviving old hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users