Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Boot Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fargoan3

Fargoan3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

Hey I'm having really big big freaking problem.

I have built new system about two weeks ago.

AMD 64x2 4200+ AM2 socket, Windsor
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Seagate 320gb SATA
Corsair XMS2 ddr2 800 2gig (1x2)
BFG 760GT 256mb <--- 2 of them and use SLI

ok now. here is the problem.

First it worked. I installed XP Professional, and it worked fine. For a week it worked perfectly.

Then, not it is having problem.

It shows BIOS page, and it recognizes every components. (well it shows what's connected into MB)

then now it should show XP loading page with black background. but it doesn't.

it just shows blank page before it gets to XP Loading screen.

plus the FANS work, and no beep sound.

These are things that I tried.

1. I did everything with the ram. wipe the golden pad, tried to put only one of them. tried every slot

2. I tried to use only one VGA, tried to wipe the golden pad as well

3. I upgraded BIOS Version using USB flash disk.

4. tried to boot from CD with Windows XP CD, but it shows blank page after it says "Press any button to boot from CD..." (normally it shows blue screen for installation)

Haven't touched CPU and HDD

Jeez... I think I tried everything that I can think of... Please help me out...
It worked for a week. Why now??? Jeez...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

It's possible that your drive or your motherboard has died. Do you hear the drive spin up when you start the computer? Does it make any strange noises?

In order to troubleshoot this, you'll have to strip the system down to the minimum components needed to boot - and then try to boot from a DOS diskette. If it works, then the problem is elsewhere (in the stuff that you took out). If it doesn't work, then we'll have to troubleshoot what's left.

If that works, then add the hard drive back in and try to install Windows. Same thing as before - if it doesn't work (but worked with the DOS disk), then it's either the drive or the CD (and we presume that the CD is good since it never even got to it.

Here's what to do:
1) Run MemTest86 (free from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ ) to verify that your RAM is good.
2) Unplug the system from the wall
3) Remove the side of the case
4) Ground yourself to the metal frame of the case
5) Take out everything but the following:
- Case
- Power Supply
- Motherboard
- CPU, cooler, and fan
- Memory (presumed good)
- 1 video card
- Keyboard
- Floppy drive

If it boots to DOS, then these components are presumed to be OK. Then add the pieces back in until it acts up on you. THe last piece added is probably the culprit.

If it doesn't boot to DOS, then the problem's in the list of components above. Since you've got another video card, try it first (swap them out) - after that it becomes a matter of trying different components until you find the faulty one.

Don't forget to check your motherboard for bad caps ( http://www.badcaps.net )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:15 PM

So just before the XP GUI loads, the screen blanks out...

That's classically a video driver. Boot to safe mode and check the resolution on it. Also I have seen new systems that someone has connected both the SVGA and DVI cables into the back; If so, just use the DVI.

-Lazarus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users