Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU upgrade on a HP ENVY h8-1437c Desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MagnusKain

MagnusKain

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:14 AM

Hello,

I have owned a HP ENVY h8-1437c Desktop PC (i5 3470, 12gb DDR3-1600) for years and a few months ago upgraded to a new video card (PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb) and it greatly improved my FPS performance.  I just recently started to notice with some newer games (specifically Assassins Creed Origins) I wasn't getting a playable FPS. So I was wondering what good would a new processor be to aid in my frame rate issues. Would I be able to play at or around 60fps or would I not even notice a difference with a newer i7 seeing how I have an older Motherboard and am limited on my upgrade? 

Here is the processor I had my eye on.... "Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770"

If it is worth getting could anyone tell me why I can find some on Amazon for $300 and some for $150... Should I avoid the cheaper one for some reason?

Thanks everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Here is the information on your computer, telling you what kind cpu you can use :

HP ENVY h8-1437c Desktop PC Product Specifications

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03517380

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:08 PM

Actually I don't think the processor upgrade will be all that worth it your FPS will not increase too much and the graphics card is already going to do most of the job for you. Your core i5 is just fine.
If anything I would invest in a solid state drive if you haven't done so already as that will improve gaming performance as well because operating system will be on the solid state drive and not bog down your games while stuck on a platter Drive.
If anything this will help performance of your system as standard platter drives do have drawbacks

Also ensure that your game settings are going to be correct as there are certain game settings that can slow down even the best processors or graphics cards.

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 April 2018 - 10:16 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:00 AM

It seems that is a very demanding game in terms of hardware requirements - http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/assassins-creed-performance-origins-likes-8-or-more-threaded-cpus.html

So yes the i7-3770 would likely help in that particular case.  However bear in mind the CPU tests were done with a 1080 Ti.  The GPU tests underneath show it's very demanding of the GPU too... 

If it is worth getting could anyone tell me why I can find some on Amazon for $300 and some for $150... Should I avoid the cheaper one for some reason?

It's not a current production model.  Manufacturing discontinued a number of years ago.  It's possible there are a few examples of "new old stock" around and perhaps these would justify the higher prices.  But really people charge whatever they think they can get for them.  Prices of rarer (but still useful) CPU's can actually go up after they've been discontinued (try getting hold of a rare Broadwell i7-5775C for a reasonable price, for example). But for sure, most of 3770's around now will be second hand.  Check out auction sites, classifieds etc.

Edited by jonuk76, 05 April 2018 - 12:15 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:25 AM

Better and cheaper plus can be clocked to 4.10

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3770-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

Better and cheaper plus can be clocked to 4.10

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3770-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K

Now that may be a better idea, going to a core i5 3570K so they can get some processing power on hand without breaking the bank too much.

They will need a cooler but it can be done.

But this is rather typical for a Ubisoft game, Ubisoft is terrible at making optimized games for the PC

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

Can it be overclocked in a HP Envy though?  Serious question, I don't know??  HP machines are not renowned for their overclocking options, in general.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:15 PM

according to my search the motherboard offers the Intel Z75 chipset, so yeah it would work

It is capable of overclocking 

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 MagnusKain

MagnusKain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

Nice! Thanks for all the advice. I will shoot for a SSHD primarily and the i5-3570 if I can swing it. I will try post the results in a week or so. Thanks MadmanRB, jonuk76, and OldPhil!

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

Don't forget the k 3570k, it will if wanted for you to overclock it to 4.10. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

according to my search the motherboard offers the Intel Z75 chipset, so yeah it would work

It is capable of overclocking 

The HP Bios apparently does not support overclocking.  It's possible a different (e.g. hacked) BIOS would allow it.  It still may be possible via something like Intel Extreme Tuning Utility but you'd also probably want to upgrade the cooling over standard beforehand.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:38 AM

true, it will take some trickery but its possible.

Nice! Thanks for all the advice. I will shoot for a SSHD primarily and the i5-3570 if I can swing it. I will try post the results in a week or so. Thanks MadmanRB, jonuk76, and OldPhil!

SSHD's are not worth it, if you are worried about space as in GB and TB you can use a SSD for the OS and the HDD for applications.

SSHD's dont offer much over HDD's like SSD's do.

Its more than possible to get a 250GB SSD for cheap, thats enough for the OS and maybe a game or two.

If worried if it wont fit into your setup there are adapters.

SSHD's only have limited space for its SSD component, and while faster than a standard HDD it still lacks behind a SSD

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 April 2018 - 08:51 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users