Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Windows 10 install crashes frequently without BSOD/dump

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dolgthrasir

Dolgthrasir

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

Hi all

This is my first post here and I tried to do my due diligence - please do let me know if I should provide more info. Also I'm amazed at all the content and the great answers other people are getting, pretty amazing! :)

So, I did my first clean Windows 10 installation some days ago after an update of my Windows 7 (yeah, I know...) failed miserably. Long story short, I wiped the system SSD, installed a new Windows 10 Pro, activated it. So far so good. Sadly, I'm getting a lot of new crashes since the installation.

• Crashes manifest as instant freezes, where the screen remains visible frozen for some seconds (sometimes with the sound looping) and then the machine reboots.
  • Time between crashes varies a lot. Sometimes it runs for hours without crash, sometimes I get one 3 minutes after boot.
  • No BSOD is shown, also I can't find any dump file using tools such as BlueScreenView.

Additional info:

• I checked the Reliability Monitor from Microsoft, but it simply shows "Windows was not properly shut down", without further info.
  • Crashes seem to happen more often (it is hard to say really) when in a game or while watching some YouTube video - but sometimes crashes also simply occur while doing something in the Windows explorer.
  • Crashes have happened before the Windows update also, but only very infrequently (say, once a week as compared to several times daily).
  • Another (probably rather unreliable) observation: it seems that when I get some crashes in a row and keep restarting the system it gets more stable... i.e. runs for some hours afterwards without crashes.

What I have tried so far to remedy this (without luck):

• Checked and updated all drivers (I used DriverEasy for this, also double checked NVidia graphics driver manually.)
  • Ran memory check
    mdsched.exe
  • Reset Virtual Memory
  • Ran disk check on the system SDD
  • Ran system file checker
    sfc /scannow
  • Disabled SSD hibernation
  • Ran just about every Troubleshoot utility that Windows provides

I have read some other topics and seen that posting a Speccy snapshot usually is one of the first ways to provide information on the system, so I went ahead and did that:

Speccy dump: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2K0qy0XcddUALJECl7y0pcE

B/c of the fresh windows installation I have a suspicion that this is a hardware issue - but I couldn't begin to say what kind. Also it seems strange to me that a hardware issue would crash more frequently now than it did with my old Windows installation... I'd love to get some input here before I start shopping for expensive replacement parts.  :thumbup2:

Cheers,
Florian

Attached Files

Edited by Dolgthrasir, 03 April 2018 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Your computer should NEVER crash. The fact that it happened on average of once a week in the past is disturbing. Of course, the fact that it's occurring more frequently now is even more disturbing.

I'm not a fan of ANY 3rd party driver utilities. Once you post the logs requested above we'll get a better handle, but for now please open device manager and see if there are any yellow or red symbols.

#4 Dolgthrasir

Dolgthrasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

I uploaded the Sysnative ZIP in the original post above. I'm also looking into the Carrona tools.

#5 Dolgthrasir

Dolgthrasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

I ran MemDiag for 10 hours today, seems it completed 6 Iterations, all of which passed with zero errors.

Would really appreciate some input.

#6 Dolgthrasir

Dolgthrasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

@Hamluis/Allan: Should I be providing more data still? I'm at a total loss of what to do...

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

As I asked above, please look in device manager. Are there any yellow or red symbols?

#8 Dolgthrasir

Dolgthrasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:52 PM

As I asked above, please look in device manager. Are there any yellow or red symbols?

No yellow or red symbols to be found in device manager. Everything is up to date.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

Please boot to safe mode with networking and try to work / play from there for as long as possible to see if there are any crashes.

#10 Dolgthrasir

Dolgthrasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

I booted into safe mode. Couldn't get any sound though (something like 'No audio devices are installed'), that makes Gaming/Youtube a bit pointless regretfully... Any way I can work around that?

#11 Dolgthrasir

Dolgthrasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

So I tried to work as long as possible in Safe mode and no crashes occurred, but as I wasn't running any Games/Video and that was what most often lead to the crashes so far I don't know if this tells us much...

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

Okay, well here's my suggestion, but it's a time consuming process. If the system didn't crash in safe mode it's possible the issue is something loading with Windows. The best way to find out if something loading with the OS is causing the problem is to disable startup items one or two at a time and then do what you do for a while and see what happens. If the system still crashes, re-enable them and disable a couple more. Continue doing this until (hopefully) the system doesn't crash and you'll have identified the culprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users