Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC keeps hanging up in somewhat regular intervals

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Netch

Netch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

Hello!

The nature of my issue is as follows:

My computer has those hang-up periods where it refuses to "process" (don't know if I'm using the right word here) anything. It won't launch any programs, be it Chrome, Windows photo browser, Notepad or any games. When I try to open something, the loading wheel appears for a few seconds and disappears and nothing follows. If I had Chrome already opened before the hang-up, websites won't load in, they will just keep loading. When I open a New Tab, it also won't load in.

The PC won't execute tasks such as opening the Task Manager - when I press CTRL+bleep+Esc, nothing happens. I open the Windows menu and choose the Shut Down option, same story, no reaction. I can open folders and do stuff like creating a new folder or renaming folders.

What I've noticed is that the hang-up stops my internet connection from working on some sites and on some it doesn't. For example, I have Facebook opened and the hang-up kicks in: the connection with Facebook will get interrupted and I'll appear offline for however long the hang-up is in effect. Or say I'm watching a stream on Twitch, through Chrome - the stream will pause and start buffering as if I had no internet connection. However, if I'm watching a Twich stream through the Twitch desktop app, the hang-up seems to have no effect on it at all. Or when I'm watching a YouTube stream on Chrome, no effect either.

The hang-up doesn't last indefinitely, luckily, as it will usually take around 2-3 minutes to go away. Then my PC works flawlessly for about 20 minutes before another moment of weakness. I actually used a timer for over an hour and it seems the breaks between the hang-ups are somewhat regular, as the title says. I started the timer at Windows start-up and it went like this:

22 min 18 s - functioned properly

03 min 08 s - hang-up

20 min 24 s - f.p.

02 min 36 s - h.u.

21 min 26 s - f.p.

01 min 30 s - after this hang-up I stopped the timer.

I've had this problem for quite a while now. Started back in February, when after some googling I was led to believe that some sort of malware was at fault. I scanned my system with Malwarebytes which seemed to be the recommended program. It found some adware but nothing serious, certainly not the cause of the issue. I had been planning to format my PC for a while at that point, so I did just that. Fresh install of Windows and everything was running beautifully for about two weeks. Then out of nowhere it started again. I'm at a loss as to what could've caused it to come back (or to start the first time around) because I didn't install any suspicious software, I didn't download anything untrustworthy. Maybe it's a hardware related issue, I really don't know.

I will appreciate any and all help.

Edited by Netch, 04 April 2018 - 07:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netch

Netch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:38 AM

UPDATE: I have found the culprit of the problem. It was avastsvc.exe (Avast antivirus services process) which would periodically use over 100% of my CPU capacity for who knows what, rendering my computer unable to process anything else. I have since eliminated the issue by switching to a different antivirus.

Edited by Netch, 04 April 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

Glad you found the issue, thanks for the update!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users