Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this new GPU work in my current PC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sakurasanta86

sakurasanta86

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

Hey guys,

So I am not good with tech stuff at all so I need a bit of advice 

I have a PC which was custom built in early 2012 ... it hasn't had any update except adding a SSD and a new HDD storage drive. As much as I would love to get a whole new upgrade at $3000AU I'm a uni student and that price just won't work for me until I'm done with uni in another 2 years. But I really need to give me system a boost, mostly for gaming. I don't have to have the best thing out there, but something that'll perform significantly better. I'm thinking maybe I can add a new GPU to my current set up then maybe it'll tide me over until I can afford a full system upgrade.

Here's my current set up:

CPU: i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz 

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX (LGA1155)

RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 668MHz 

Current GPU: 1023MB GeForce GTX 560

SSD: Samsung EVO 250GB

And I'm thinking of getting something like this maybe: GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X (https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA/64403-GEFORCE-GTX-1060-GAMING-X-6G)

But yeah, I'm terrified it (or one that I pick) won't work with my current CPU/MoBo set up. I had a friend who just had her GPU died and bought a new one and her PC just totally rejected it and refused to work, so I want to avoid that. Hopefully people here who know a lot more about PCs than me will be able to provide a bit of advice! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, Sure it will.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

That works but right now mid to high end video cards are hugely expensive because cryptominers buy all cards available. That may change soon however.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:00 PM

You didnt mention your power supply, if you have a older one or a crap one this may be a factor.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 EMAGDNIM

EMAGDNIM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

Just out of curiosity, how come your running 16 Gigs of DDR3 @ only 668MHz?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:28 AM

Presumably it's DDR3-1333, the base memory specification for the P8Z77-V LX, and hence runs a nominal 666MHz clock rate.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users