Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about sizing and arranging icons

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nopeda

nopeda

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:43 PM

In the old days you could go to any folder and select Help and it would tell you "About Windows" and you could bring up the start menu, right click on My Computer, select Properties... (that's all just basic stuff about trying to figure out exactly what version...)

Now I'm trying to learn about Windows 10 and would like to be able to have small icons in all folders since the new medium icons are so much bigger than "Icons" used to be, and just align them to grid so they can be placed wherever I want to put them. Is that impossible with Windows 10? Or is there some simple way of arranging them the way we want to that I've been too stupid to figure out? When I select small icons it puts them in 2 verticle rows and I want them placed horizontally so I can move them wherever I want to and just have them snap to the grid. And have it that way in all folders. Is that too much to ask of Windows 10?

Thank you for any help with this!
David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:12 AM

Have you tried right-clicking on an empty space on your desktop and selecting 'View'?

#3 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:11 AM

In the past I have had icons displayed both horizontally and vertically so I presume it must be possible but I can't remember how (sorry!). But you might find useful the small utility DesktopOK. With this, after you place the icons how you want them, manually, you can save your layout (or several layouts) and then after a restart click to reinstate it. I have found after doing this a couple of times the layout is remembered and restores automatically. It is not perfect but I have found a good time saver.

#4 nopeda

nopeda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:20 PM

In the past I have had icons displayed both horizontally and vertically so I presume it must be possible but I can't remember how (sorry!). But you might find useful the small utility DesktopOK. With this, after you place the icons how you want them, manually, you can save your layout (or several layouts) and then after a restart click to reinstate it. I have found after doing this a couple of times the layout is remembered and restores automatically. It is not perfect but I have found a good time saver.

Only for the desktop though and not for a folder, much less for all folders. Why does Windows care enough about whatever restrictions they want to place on folder icons to put them in place rather than not? Do most people not care about restrictions like that? 

Edited by nopeda, 03 April 2018 - 11:39 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,829 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:26 AM

I have never known a version of Windows where one could arrange the icons "where one wanted them" anywhere except the desktop, and you can still do that under Windows 10.

If one wants one's icons in File Explorer to be arranged as a grid of icons the "Tiles" view is the only one that will do that to my knowledge.  The following shortcut keys can be used to shift quickly between views in File Explorer:

CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large Icons
CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content

See the webpage entitled, How to: Change Default Icon View in Windows 10 (for All Folders), for full details.   I have been using the Details view for so long, other than for the Photos library, that I don't really think much about the others.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 nopeda

nopeda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

I have never known a version of Windows where one could arrange the icons "where one wanted them" anywhere except the desktop, and you can still do that under Windows 10.

If one wants one's icons in File Explorer to be arranged as a grid of icons the "Tiles" view is the only one that will do that to my knowledge.  The following shortcut keys can be used to shift quickly between views in File Explorer:

CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large Icons
CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content

See the webpage entitled, How to: Change Default Icon View in Windows 10 (for All Folders), for full details.   I have been using the Details view for so long, other than for the Photos library, that I don't really think much about the others.

Windows XP allows you to arrange icons the way you want to in folders just like Windows 10 will apparently only allow on the desktop. Hard to believe from my pov that they deliberately make things worse, but the proof is right here and there doesn't appear to be any way around it as I was hoping.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,829 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

You haven't been able to "randomly arrange" inside file/windows explorer, ever. The arrangement of folders first, folloewd by files, sorted by name by default is ancient.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 nopeda

nopeda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

You haven't been able to "randomly arrange" inside file/windows explorer, ever. The arrangement of folders first, folloewd by files, sorted by name by default is ancient.

I don't know about that, but I know that in Windows XP I can and do arrange files and folders in folders wherever I want them except that they snap to the grid. I can put 10 across the top row in any order I want, then any number in any order on the next row, and leave some rows empty, etc. I can have only 1 or any number in the top row also, no restrictions, the complete opposite of Windows 10.

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:22 AM

Can you give some kind of screenshot so that we know exactly what you are talking about?

#10 nopeda

nopeda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

Can you give some kind of screenshot so that we know exactly what you are talking about?

I am trying to figure it out. I have taken the screenshot but...

Attached Files

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,829 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:02 AM

Click on the Help menu, and take another screen shot with that expanded, then click on the "About" item in that menu, and take a screen shot of the dialog that comes up after you've clicked on "About."

It has been so long since I used XP that I barely remember the details about it.  I know for certain that the default arrangement of icons in Windows Explorer under XP is not as you have them set up in your prior screen shot and I do not know what View settings (or equivalent) one had to select in order to make that happen.  

For myself, I'd go insane if every folder on my machine were presented this way.  I find the conventional arrangement, whether icons or list/details view, with alphabetical arrangement by name with folders being presented first the quickest way to zero in on exactly the item I want.  I often look at my desktop via File Explorer if I've placed new items on the desktop by download since I know exactly where they'll be presented based on their name, whereas looking at the desktop itself they'll be tucked wherever available space is found, which is semi-random in most cases since most of us have bits of "blank space" on our desktops that it will fill.

Edited by britechguy, 07 April 2018 - 09:08 AM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:45 AM

An old BC thread

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/317371/files-and-folders-out-of-order/

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,829 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

Opera, thanks for confirming that my memory is not incorrect.   Until this poster asked this question I had never seen anything vaguely like he described, and the screen shot left me scratching my head even more.

I knew that what was described and shown simply had to be a bug, not a feature.  It's allowing chaos to be created out of any number of different kinds of order that every OS, not just Windows, that I've ever used imposes.  It appears that my memory of the default in Windows 10, sort by name with folders coming before files, being the default in all prior versions of Windows I'd ever dealt with (and that's all of them) is correct.

Nothing has been taken away, the OP has been living, and quite happily, apparently, with a bug in XP that remained uncorrected on his machine for a very, very long time now.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users