Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home-built Win10, recently 'reset' but still getting random reboots with no BSOD

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ldn_pc

ldn_pc

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

I have been getting random reboots and some BSOD for a while now (about 4 - 6 months), but until recently it didn't appear to be so regular.

Last weekend I ran the Win10 recovery and reset but kept my files. I can do a full reset if needed, only i'm not sure if i need keys or anything as I updated it from Win7 a while ago - and I have no idea right now where that key is! It was Win7 that I updated to Win10. No real issues with it at all until this started.

My PC is home built my me, with attached specs (LDN-PC.zip)

I've ran SysnativeBSODCollectionApp twice, once a few hours ago, did a little fiddling after reading some advice on here and since then it has been stable. Played Factorio (and left it paused, running for about 3 - 4 hours). Shut down the game and walked away from my PC and when I came back about 10(?) minutes later it had rebooted. No BSOD and I've checked Blue Screen Viewer to check. (SysnativeFileCollectionApp_1 and _2)

Also attached is my Administrator Custom Logs from Event Viewer (Admin_logs.zip)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

I should mention, and i'm unsure of the timelines!

In the last year I've had to replace my ATI GFX card which blew, this was replaced with the Nvidia 1060. And the PSU went a while ago, over a year ago which was replaced with a Corsair 550watt. 

#3 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

I've had the PC freeze a few more times. Twice this morning whilst I was sat at my desk working my laptop and went back to the PC it was frozen whilst it was idling!

I ran the HDTune which shows (C7) Interface CRC Error Count - attention

Current 97

Worst 97

Threshold 0

Data 2474

I then loaded Samsung Magician which I have used many times, and still shows no errors in SMART. But this time it allowed me to update the SSD firmware.

But I do keep getting this in my Windows Administrator Custom Logs

Error 05/04/2018 13:13:57 atapi 11 None

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0. 

#4 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:09 AM

Another freeze today. Always seems to be when Chrome is idling in the foreground. 

#5 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:59 PM

Been away from PC for a few days. Powered it on today and had ~20 rapid beeps at BIOS post. 

Unseated and unplugged everything then bit by bit put everything back in. Nothing obvious but possibly reseating the RAM could fix it? 

Since then though, I get random freezes in Windows which last about 30-60 seconds, nothing shows in the Event Log though, my Task Manager is pretty clear and my temps look OK too. 

Any help at all? 

#6 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:02 PM

I've realised my SSD wasn't running in ACHI so i've enabled that.

But i'm getting random reboots again. PC just stopped and reboots. Nothing obvious in Event Viewer. Temps might be a touch high though, idling at 73C on my core(?!). No BSOD and Bluescreen view shows nothing either.

I'm running out of ideas! 

#7 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

I'm now getting sudden reboots within about 5 mins of starting up. I'm not running browsers or much else when it goes. The last one i was running SysnativeBSODCollectionApp  and it suddenly rebooted. 

Edited by ldn_pc, 08 April 2018 - 05:21 PM.

#8 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

re-ran the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and attached. So far running about 10 - 15 minutes with no reboot

Attached Files

#9 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:22 AM

No more freezing. Just random reboots. 

This morning i've tried the following

- Running for approximately 1 hour with just SSD - no issues

- Running for approximately 1 - 2 hours with SSD and 1st HDD - few random reboots

- Currently Running with SSD and 2nd HDD - nothing yet.

It looks like the connection to my 1 HDD has been damaged. Could this cause a random reboot? 

I ran StressMyPC for a while too - both Stress and Aggressive CPU. Watched the temps and fans speed up, but no reboots. 

Any help would be great

Edited by ldn_pc, 09 April 2018 - 06:23 AM.

#10 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

Can anyone help with this? 240 views and not a single reply!

It has been really stable since removing the HDD with a busted SATA power connection but then in the last hour it completely froze up and had a sudden restart too.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:22 PM

Because this was an upgrade from Windows 7 I would recommend a clean install. Because this was an upgrade your Windows 10 license is stored on Microsoft servers tied to your hardware ID and will auto activate once online. Backup your data first including any browser bookmarks. You may also need to download any wifi driver if you use wifi. Detach the HDDs when installing Windows to the SSD and after the install is finished run it for awhile to determine if the HDD was at fault.

Follow the below guide to do a clean install. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/?p=4419457

Looking at the MB manual the BIOS looks like it's not UEFI therefore in the guide you would use the convert MBR command. 

I would recommend using a clean all command on the drive but because it's a SSD only use the clean command as shown in the guide. Clean all would zero out the drive.

#12 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:56 AM

JohnC_21 - thank you for the reply!

I was hoping not to have to do a full reinstall but i'll do it! 

Just to note 

Looking at the MB manual the BIOS looks like it's not UEFI therefore in the guide you would use the convert MBR command. 

The BIOS does support UEFI, currently I have it set to "UEFI and Legacy". I'll try to get a shot of the options

#13 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:01 AM

I've attached 2 pictures taken from the BIOS settings

Attached Files

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

That's definitely UEFI. From your spec text file I got Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-DS3. I downloaded the revision 1 manual and not the later revision, sorry. 

You would indeed use convert gpt using the diskpart command. In the future I would recommend you create regular disk image backups, the interval depending on programs installed and updates using a program like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper, or Easeus Todo Backup Free.

#15 ldn_pc

ldn_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:02 AM

That's definitely UEFI. From your spec text file I got Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-DS3. I downloaded the revision 1 manual and not the later revision, sorry. 

You would indeed use convert gpt using the diskpart command. In the future I would recommend you create regular disk image backups, the interval depending on programs installed and updates using a program like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper, or Easeus Todo Backup Free.

JohnC_21 - thank you again!

I'll have to wait for the weekend to give this a go but thank you for the assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users