Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 PC experiencing bluescreen crashes and now cpu fan wont spin up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adamjedgar

adamjedgar

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

Hi guys,

one day my pc was fine the next it wasnt.

Over the weekend it started experiencing blue screen crashes. I shut it down and pulled the cpu heat sink and fan off and vacuumed motherboard to get rid of dust build up. I removed cmos battery and then reset cmos.

I managed to get pc to restart (including the cpu fan). When my cpu fan doesnt run the system wont go through the boot up process...it simply restarts again (i believe this is a safety feature in the bios).

Once i got back into Windows, i noticed Windows Defender was Off...so i turned it back on. System crashed again shortly after.

I rebooted system and low and behold the cpu fan would run again. Went through the process again...removed battery and then reset cmos. System started up with fan working again so i logged back into Windows.

I decided i would download malwarebytes and run a virus scan using that program as Windows Defender said there was no action required to be taken at this time. Google would not download Malwarebytes. I then opened Microsoft Edge and downloaded it using that browser instead, however it was painfully slow (took a long time to download). 

I then ran the Malwarebytes installer, however before the install completed the system crashed again.

I then decided to run a system restore by hitting Shift + Power at the Windows login screen then going through the menu prompts Windows 10 provides during the restart. I restored the system to an automated backup from the 26th March. This did not seem to make any difference.

I am wondering if i have some kind of virus in the system bios?

I went through the process of resetting cmos again this morning...remove battery and RAM then reset it...on reboot the cpu fan is working fine however now my mouse and keyboard are not working....a second reboot appears to have them working again so this may just be a random event unrelated to the actual problem.

Also, when battery was removed and cmos reset, i note that bios clock time and date is still correct. Should this be the case?

If i start the system up and go directly into BIOS and let it run for half an hour playing around in the BIOS everything seems fine.

considering the windows 10 problems earlier...ie i couldnt download malwarebytes or install it using google chrome, and if i attempt to run a Windows Defender scan it also crashes very quickly, i am very suspicious

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA Z77-UD3H rev 1.1

CPU Intel 2700K

Windows 10

Using the Onboard Video (my video card stopped working a year ago and i havent bothered to replace it)

PSU 1000W Cooler Master Silent Pro M2

RAM 16 GB Ripjaws XL

BIOS verson F20e

Edited by adamjedgar, 02 April 2018 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChaNicolsen

ChaNicolsen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:15 AM

How about restoring your system point and roll back to the good condition?

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

did you apply new thermal paste to the heatsink before you put it back on?

you can't pull it then just put it back on, you could be potentially burning up your processor and your computer is going into a thermal shutdown mode.

if that's not the problem then next would be the power supply itself.

#4 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

Have you tried it in safe mode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users