Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lcd Choppyness

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bballjoe

bballjoe

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

i get slight choppyness when i plsy computer games like hl2 and counter strike source and it isnt very bad but i notice it and it bugs me now is there a way to get rid of this my computer is brand new im usre its not the computer so is my monitor but it was about 180$ lcd.

my specs
amd athlon 3800+
1 g ram
160 g hardrive
nvidia geforce 7600 gs
and my monior is a viewsonic wiht 8 ms responce time and when i try ro go over 75 fps the montor says its out of range

so is the prioblem somehting i cna fix or is it the monitor
\

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:47 PM

I don't think its the monitor, it may just be your eyes.

If what I'm reading is correct, then you're probably like me and your eyes can not stand to look at LCD screens. Unfortunatly, if this is the case, I'd stick with a CRT monitor if I were you if what you're seeing is ghosting and the low refresh rate.

I spent around $250 or so on an Acer 19" LCD monitor with a 8ms response time and I sent it back the second day cause I was feeling sick even after a short amount of gaming time on it.

Edited by Wizdabest, 04 October 2006 - 09:49 PM.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:19 PM

download and install the latest chipset driver for your board, download and install the latest video card drivers for your nvidia card as well.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 bballjoe

bballjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

well ithink its because of the low refresh rate i msotly runs around 62 66 fps so oyu think its the monitor cnat be anything wrong with pc

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:41 PM

yea, a refresh rate that low really puts a strain on the eyes.

#6 bballjoe

bballjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:21 AM

well how mutch can lcd refresh rates go up mine is 8ms response time but can only go to 75

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:31 AM

They can only go up to 75 I believe.

#8 bballjoe

bballjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

bleep that sucks so do oyu think the choppynes is caused by lcd di you get this problem or did it just hurt yor eyes

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

I'm not sure about like choppyness, unless it was just from how a refresh rate of 75 looked, but I do recall the 75 refresh rate and 8ms caused extreme strain on the eyes and I noticed lots of ghosting.

Also, I also think it depends on the games too cause Counter-Strike (1..6 and CZ) caused a lot more strain than Battlefield 2.

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

I find low refresh rates hurt my eyes? anything under 70 bugs me. Make sure your refresh rate is 75Hertz.

I'm pretty sure FPS and the refresh rate are alot diffirent, I just forgot exactly what they are.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#11 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:17 PM

wow. I can only do a refreshrate of 85 or higher without feeling the strain.

lol, it sucks that for my classes, we have to use macs with big LCD monitors. Ugh, it drives me insane after an hour. Even worse, its my major too.

#12 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:42 PM

Don't worry too much about the refresh rate - the 60-75Hz for LCD is normal, and should be alright.
Do you find that the 'choppyness' is when you are moving around (the arena/game area) and not when you are still?
If so, it is most likely your LCD response time (the 8ms). For gaming you really need 5ms or less. The choppyness is the individual LC's trying to catch up with the new image. Also called ghosting I'm pretty sure, and it will mess with your eyes somewhat..Let me know if I'mn on the right track!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#13 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:12 AM

Don't ever try and make your monitor do somethign that's not in it's range. It'll just messe up the image.

Response time is diffirent for people, some may notice it. A high response time won't make a difference whatsoever in the frame rate, but really fast objects may be a bit blurred with a slower response time.

I don't think 8ms would be bad. And the diffirence between 3 mili seconds is completly un-noticeable by the naked eye.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#14 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:39 AM

I don't think 8ms would be bad. And the diffirence between 3 mili seconds is completly un-noticeable by the naked eye.

It was quite noticeable when I had my LCD and it was only 8ms. It varies with the person cause I went around trying to find a new CRT monitor and when I told the sales people at computer stores about why I was looking for a CRT monitor, they looked suprised.

#15 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:56 AM

You can't trust the advertised refresh rates, they lie, they all lie. I read an article a while back and it turned out the Viewsonic was the only company who actually could do the the refresh rates they claimed they could.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users