Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice Please re: Antivirus Program

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Snowydog

Snowydog

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

Hello

We have a Lenovo Desktop, Windows 10. Firefox browser, and I use AOL mail.   We had the set up through Best Buys, and have the Geek Squad membership.  We received an email that our current antivirus, Kaspersky (sp) will be expiring and is no longer offered b y Best Buy Geek Squad package, etc.  

There are two antivirus that they offer, one is WebRoot and the other is Trend Micro.

I have tried looking these up but frankly I'm blonde, old and confused.

we are sticking with the Best Buy Geeks  (please don't groan) but I need advice about what to do for Antivirus.

Please reply in "blond-ese" and non technical wording.

I trust you guys........

Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:42 AM

get rid of all that crap and use windows defender.....its all you need

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

I do not particular care for either Trend Micro or Webroot.

As mikey11 noted...there is always the option to just use Windows 10 Defender (Windows Defender Antivirus) which includes anti-virus and anti-malware protection that provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits (and it's probably easier to use for the novice). Windows Defender Exploit Guard has four components of new intrusion prevention capabilities designed to lock down a system against various attack vectors and block behaviors commonly used in ransomware attacks before any damage can be done.For more specific information about Windows Defender or for other suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Snowydog

Snowydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

Thank you very much!!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

You're welcome and good luck.

#6 STS-1

STS-1

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:44 PM

Again disagree on Windows Defender (and again quiteman if you want to refute me, I welcome your opinion) but in my experience Windows Defender does not stack up in anti-virus... I like to use Bitdefender (available from https://www.bitdefender.com) in conjunction with Malwarebytes (available at 

Edited by Al1000, 13 April 2018 - 01:27 AM.
removed empty space

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:01 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so it is not a matter of refuted that opinion.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

I would say to anyone who has not revisited Windows Defender as now implemented under Windows 10, and is basing their opinions on what Windows Defender was rather than is, that it would be worth their time to revisit it.

Just like the now old ad for the now defunct brand, Oldsmobile, once said:  "This is not your father's Oldsmobile," the same applies substituting "Windows Defender" for "Oldsmobile."

Windows Defender as currently implemented is an impressive product and is stacking up pretty nicely in all the independent antivirus testing (which I also take with a big grain of salt no matter which product is currently the "best").

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

I would say to anyone who has not revisited Windows Defender as now implemented under Windows 10, and is basing their opinions on what Windows Defender was rather than is, that it would be worth their time to revisit it.

Just like the now old ad for the now defunct brand, Oldsmobile, once said:  "This is not your father's Oldsmobile," the same applies substituting "Windows Defender" for "Oldsmobile."

Windows Defender as currently implemented is an impressive product and is stacking up pretty nicely in all the independent antivirus testing (which I also take with a big grain of salt no matter which product is currently the "best").

Ditto.

#10 Snowydog

Snowydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

I appreciate the viewpoints.  I did "click" Defender to be on Windows 10. I can't seem to remove Kaspersky.   Hubby has Windows8.1 on his computer. After a bit he was able to get it downloaded and turned on

We should be all set, correct??

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

If normal removal methods do not work use the Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products (kavremover) - Be sure to follow the How to use the tool instructions provided on the same page which includes a the download link for the tool...

Some errors might occur when deleting Kaspersky Lab products via Start > Control Panel > Add\Remove Programs (Add/Remove Programs). As a result the application may not uninstall correctly or remnants of the application may remain in the system. In order to fully remove the installed Kaspersky Lab product, use the kavremover tool...When you remove a product using the kavremover tool, license information is also removed. Make sure you have the license key or the activation code stored elsewhere so that you can use it again later.

#12 wasdroger

wasdroger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

I hope it is okay to ask a related question here..

What about Windows 7? Is Windows Defender even reliable than the Windows 10 one?

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

I hope it is okay to ask a related question here..

What about Windows 7? Is Windows Defender even reliable than the Windows 10 one?

I've removed the material you quoted from my prior post since it's easy to see above.  Note well that I said, "Windows Defender as implemented under Windows 10," and I'll add Windows 8 as well.

Microsoft did not, in my opinion, do anyone any favors by keeping the Windows Defender name while changing, radically, what it did.

Prior to the advent of Windows 8 Windows Defender was not an antivirus tool at all.  What you used from Microsoft for that purpose was Microsoft Security Essentials (which I did, at least at one period of time) and I really can't comment on what has or has not been done to MSE in recent years as far as any improvements might go.

This wikipedia page on Windows Defender gives a decent description of the history of the product and what it did (and does) in each major Windows release.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:00 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-malware (anti-spyware) program intended to supplement your anti-virus program, not replace it. Although it uses the same name, Windows 8/10 Defender is not the same since it integrates both anti-virus and anti-malware protection.

Further, the anti-malware protection provided by Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time.

#15 wasdroger

wasdroger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

Thank you for the clear and extensive reply @britechguy and @quietman7!

I'm ditching Avast because it got bulky, buggy and gives to many false positives, guess I'm gonna try ESET NOD32 for a while..

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users