Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC has power and boots when bread board but shows no signs of life in case.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MattJ143

MattJ143

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

I built my first gaming computer the other day with the help of a friend. the PC ran great, I shut it down for the night and the next day it didn't turn on. I unhooked all my connections reconnected them and made sure all the components were in there place completely. It ran again great no issues until I shut it down again. The next day it again didn't want to turn on. this brings me to where I am at now. I have taken everything out of the case and bread boarded all the components. The PC runs fine every time I bread board it but each time it went back in the case it would show absolutely no signs of power. All my stand offs are in the correct spots. there are 9 in total, 8 of them are brass and one is a substitute one my friend had that is black( a screw got stuck in the other brass stand off so it was unusable and had to be replaced). I have been on a million websites and forums looking for an answer to the problem. I was really hoping someone here could help me. All my components work nothing is dead I tested each one. Which leaves me to believe it could be a short. I also noticed that my graphics card doesn't sit perfect in the pcie slot, a few times when I bread boarded I had to push it in on the left side. I have tried the same thing in the case with the graphics card but it didn't work still no signs of life. If there is any more info you may need please let me know. Any help is appreciated thank you.

My PC:

DIYPC Chamelon rgb case (3 fans, fan controller)

Cosair 550w 80 plus bronze

MSI B350 Tomahawk plus

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (stock cooler)

G.Skill Trident Z rgb 16gb ram 3200 ( x2 8gb)

MSI Geforce gtx 1060 6gb gaming

WD Blue m.2 250gb

Crucial MX500 2.5 500gb SSD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:05 AM

I expect that something is in connection with case. Could be motherboard or something connected to motherboard.

And did you try to start PC with screwdriver when inside case?

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:03 AM

Be aware that DIYPC does make "economy" cases, could be as simple as a funky power button, or a case usb short

Edited by Joe C, 02 April 2018 - 08:04 AM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

Be aware that DIYPC does make "economy" cases, could be as simple as a funky power button, or a case usb short

Indeed, I mean dont get me wrong not all DIYPC cases are bad but they are prone to QC issues.

Looks like you got one of those ones with fancy RGB and tempered glass ones, its still DITPC who has a rather mixed reputation.

May have wanted to settle for a non tempered glass RGB case instead.

Looks are not everything, and those things come at a premium for a reason

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 April 2018 - 09:17 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

Had that happen to a pc I built for a friend, after a few months of working fine it would no longer power on. Bread boarded it worked fine, still dead in the case. Turned out to be a bad reset switch, just disconnected it. Install it into the case and do not connect any of the small wires (power switch, reset, hard drive LED, power LED) but DO connect all of the necessary power and fan connections. Now very carefully short the power on pins on the motherboard with a screw driver and see if it powers on, you just have to connect 1 wire at a time and retest now to find the culprit.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:06 AM

Presumably a short detected on any of the front panel ports (USB, Audio) could also cause it to fail to power on.  The USB/Audio connector modules on cheap cases can be poor quality.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 MattJ143

MattJ143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Thank you for the advice,  so I put everything back into the case. I disconnected every wire that going to the front panel of the case. that is the power switch, reset switch, hdd led, power led. I also disconnected the usb and the audio that was connected to the case. I tried to short the power pins with a screwdriver but I got no response from any of the components ,still no power.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Then the culprit is probably the case.

Tough luck, if you need suggestions for alternatives we can give them.

Sure many may not offer you the looks of your current case, but form over function does have its drawbacks.

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 April 2018 - 10:52 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

Look at the I/O plate? I've installed boards just to find one of those stupid tabs for the usb or audio, even a video cut out has a tab on that I/O panel and that can get into the motherboard port when you install the board if your not careful (sometimes even if you are careful)

#10 MattJ143

MattJ143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

If possible I would like to get this case to work as it has worked three times for me and ran for a few hours each time but I am open to suggestions for a new case as well since I rather have it function then look really flashy and not work. A case with a side panel window and decent fans would be nice for a decent price.  as far as the io shield there are two larger tabs on it for the Ethernet port and one USB port all the other port have small tabs that look like the just rest up against the ports. the two larger tabs have gotten in the way and I had to bend them towards the ports. I wast sure if they rest on the outside of the port or if there is a specific way they need to go.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

The big tabs go on the outside (they just rest on the housing)

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

Yeah ensure that its not the IO shield that is causing this, never know

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 MattJ143

MattJ143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

I fixed the io shield but i am still getting the same results. I noticed around the standoff holes of the motherboard there is a silver ring with silver dots around it. Some of the holes seem to have been scraped by the screw and standoffs I was wondering would that cause the motherboard to short and not turn on. One of my friends suggested plastic bushings between the motherboard and the case. could the be a viable solution and where would i get them?  

#14 MattJ143

MattJ143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:17 PM

Is this case able to be saved or should I get a new one. There is a microcenter near me and I was debating whether or not to buy a new case and see if that will fix this issue. Unfortunately the DIYPC case is out of the refund period so now its a loss but at this point I just want to get my PC up and running. Can anyone suggest a case i should get that has good airflow and will good for a gaming rig with the parts I stated above?

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

I say get a new one.

What Microcenter are you near? Perhaps i can suggest a good one.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users