Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bookmark Overload! Suggestions welcomed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MicroMac

MicroMac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:18 PM

Hi,

So I'm a little bit of an information hoarder who incidentally has not had the best luck at keeping organizational systems and tools from working as I wish they would. Bottom line, my question/issue (and I can't imagine it's a novel one) is that across browsers and browser profiles I have quite a few bookmarked URLs that, at one point were very well organized into appropriate folders and such, but with Google essentially ruining my organizational life I have had to spend a lot of time consolidating bookmarks, have finally gotten close, but now have SO MANY DUPLICATES (to the point where bookmarking extensions just crash when I attempt to sort them out). Is there any advice or any suggestions I could get about maybe migrating all these to a place (program/app/whatever) that could actually handle a large-scale full bookmark duplicate deletion process because trying to do it just with browser assistance is just not doable I have concluded. Thanks.

Edited by MicroMac, 01 April 2018 - 08:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

From the mention of Google ruining your organisational life am I correct in thinking you use Chrome ?

The only thing I know that might help you is the 'bookmarks manager' which you can access by RIGHT clicking on a blank space on the bookmarks toolbar. This gives you quite a usable way of seeing all your bookmarks. I know of know automatic way of de-duping but someone else may.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

Well...you can dump them all into one folder...the duplicates will alert you when the same-name file is noted.  That will eliminate the duplicate names.

You could then put them into any file menagerie that you desire.

Doing anything by URL would prove a waste of time and energy...the same URL may reflect various bookmarks.

There is also a small utility called Bookmark Wizard, which I use for ready reference to over 1500 links which I use for various informational purposes.  It will list by name.  http://www.tucows.com/preview/193619/Bookmark-Wizard .

There is also a utility titled AM-Deadlink that you can use the eliminate any filed links which are no longer valid.

Louis

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

Chrome being the best Browser out there IMO is still horrible at keeping and organizing Bookmarks!  You can do things to Mitigate the issue, like not complicating the bookmarks that you save.  I try not to have to many Folders Tiered.  I also use many computers and sync them all, so when I make a change in one, I try to boot the others to get them up to date.  If not, they will get messed up by all the complicated changes that have been made, chrome if just not good enough to keep up.

I did use a Bookmark manager at one time, but it is not supported anymore...Xmarks!  It was quite good, and had many Tools to fix bookmarks in the cloud.  I read that it was not supported anymore, but they are still noting it in reviews.  Do a google search for "Best Free Bookmark Managers" and see what you can find.  Just remember to back them up first.

Here is one HERE.  Also, remember to  turn off Chrome Bookmark manager if using a Third Party one, or else you will be into Duplicates up to your neck!

You can also look in Chrome Extensions to find more.  Xmarks is still available there for some reason, perhaps it is still supported for a short amount of time?

hamluis has some good ideas with using some kind of file to find duplicates, wish he would elaborate on that. 

I would research those bookmark managers and find one that will suit your needs.  I'm stuck with Chrome for now as I just don't have the patience to find a new one that works the way I want it too.

You may want to clarify a little more because as bad as Chrome Bookmark Manager is I've got along with reasonably well.

(to the point where bookmarking extensions just crash when I attempt to sort them out).

I assume you mean Bookmarks just crash when attempting to sort them out?  I don't know why this would happen, other than you have way to many and the structure is way to complicated for Chrome to handle.  I had 2500 at one time, but think I have about 1500 now.  Luckily I'm so sick of the situation I don't care if I loose them all LOL.  I will endorse Xmarks as being very good, but you may want to find out how long it will be supported.  You could use it just long enough to sort your stuff out, export and start over with Chrome.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users