Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update and disk defragmenter

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 lycogan56

lycogan56

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

Hi,
Neither of these Windows tools work. I was wondering how to speed my computer back up when I was trying to use the update tool and the defragmenter. Windows has never been updated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

Which OS? How long has the computer been used without updating?

Give the size of the hdd....size of used space.

Give the manufacturer and specific model of the computer.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

Install Windows Installer 4.5 https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/942288/windows-installer-4-5-is-available

That will probably solve the updating problem.

Note Check the  table to find which file to choose for your operating system.

#4 lycogan56

lycogan56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

Total Hard Drive Space - 268 GB

Free Hard Drive Space - 164 GB

Gateway NV52 laptop

Windows Vista 64 bit OS.

Laptop is old,  When I went to the windows updater, it says, "never has been updated".  I had Norton Antivirus 360 for a long time.  I was wondering if I never uninstalled the program correctly now that i think about it.  I have Avast Antivirus.  The program has a clean up tool that told me about the windows problem. 

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:49 AM

Windows Vista support ended a year ago.

It would probably be best if you installed a FREE Linux OS. Generally, Linux only drawback would be games that are Windows platform only.

As far as surfing the Web, email, etc. would be much more secure than Vista. You won't have to install any security programs, either.

If you would consider that then check out BC's Linux & Unix Forum - BleepingComputer.com

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:41 AM

Hi lycogan56:

Please see the FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates in the VistaForums.

Many Vista SP2 users are currently having problems where a manual Windows Update (Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Windows Update | Check for Updates) will hang on "Checking for updates..." for several hours (or even days) without throwing an error message. There is also a thread here in the Vista board of bleepingcomputer at Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates" that started back in April of 2016.

If you want to ensure that Norton 360 is completely removed from your system, note that the old Norton Removal Tool (NRT) is no longer supported by Norton.  Instead, use the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode as instructed at https://www.norton.com/nrt.  You will likely see a pop-up window with instructions for re-installing Norton after the tool runs and your system re-boots that you can safely ignore.  Just be aware before starting that using the NRnR tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode will also remove other Norton products installed on your system like Norton Family, Norton Utilities, Norton Ghost, etc.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.7.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.12.1.15 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.3.1

Edited by lmacri, 02 April 2018 - 08:45 AM.

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:31 PM

... When I went to the windows updater, it says, "never has been updated". ...The program has a clean up tool that told me about the windows problem. 

Hi lycogan56:

... and further to your comment about Windows Update reporting that your last successful Windows Update was "Never", have you ever run a Windows repair tool  (e.g., your Avast cleanup tool, Tweaking.com's Windows Repair All-in-One, etc.) that deleted / renamed / purged your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder to try and fix a problem with Windows Update?  If Windows Update is forced to re-create the cached updates in that SoftwareDistribution folder then Windows Update will report your last updates were installed "Never" and your Windows Update history (Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Windows Update | View Update History) will be empty.  However, your listed of installed updates at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates should still display the list of your installed Windows updates.

Just FYI, I would not recommend renaming or clearing your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder if you are affected by the problem described in the FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates since it will only make it more difficult to get Windows Update working again on your Vista SP2 computer.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.7.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.12.1.15 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.3.1

Edited by lmacri, 02 April 2018 - 01:37 PM.

#8 lycogan56

lycogan56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:34 PM

I bought Cakewalk, a DAW, for sound recording.  It came with a Boss music recorder.  I looked and Cakewalk is Microsoft and needs to run on a Microsoft system.  I would like to switch to a different OS but now I want to stay with Microsoft a little bit longer. 

I did do some research on my own before posting and I did rename my system folder, C:\Windows\SoftwareDistributionOld.  I still have the folder. Does that help?

I will have to look further into the software patches mentioned.  I am not even sure how to download manually.  Do I have to extract something from the files into a specific place?  My OS has to read these things somehow?

My computer seems to be running :guitar: .  I do have a HD video camcorder and I can't video edit on this computer. I'd assume it is an old video card or not enough memory.  I tried KM Player and the computer can't keep up so far even with non-windows video software.  I was hoping this machine would be fast enough to edit audio.  If not I will have to buy new or upgrade.  Is updating hardware worth it when all the software on the machine is out of date?

My Boss comes in the next 5 to 7 business days.  I guess I can wait until then to see what happens but i would like to figure out how to at least get this machine running a little bit better. 

#9 lycogan56

lycogan56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:37 PM

I went to the web page again.  I see at the top of the Vista Forum there is a recommended fix at the top.  Is that an ad or is that what I want to do?

Thanks for your graciousness and all your help. 

#10 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:53 PM

I did do some research on my own before posting and I did rename my system folder, C:\Windows\SoftwareDistributionOld.  I still have the folder. Does that help?

Hi lycogan56:

If you run a manual Windows Update (Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Windows Update | Check for Updates) and the initial phase of Windows Update gets stuck on "Checking for updates..." for more than 20 or 30 min without throwing an error message then I'd suggest renaming that folder back to the original C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.  Post back if you see an error code when you run your manual Windows Update.

Before renaming the ...\SoftwareDistribution folder you should always stop the Windows Update Service (wuauserv) and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) first to prevent possible damage to your Windows Update components - see The Windows Club article How to rename or delete Software Distribution folder in Windows 10/8/7.  If you aren't comfortable stopping / starting these Windows services then just leave the folder as C:\Windows\SoftwareDistributionOld for now and we'll see what happens once you get Windows Update working again.

I will have to look further into the software patches mentioned.  I am not even sure how to download manually.  Do I have to extract something from the files into a specific place?  My OS has to read these things somehow?...

I went to the web page again.  I see at the top of the Vista Forum there is a recommended fix at the top.  Is that an ad or is that what I want to do?

If you read the FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates, the first sentence under the heading "How Do I Fix These 'Checking for updates...' Hangs?" states:

"Step-by-step instructions are posted on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum."

Those step-by-step instructions in m#l's thread in the MS Answers forum will explain how to download and run the standalone .msu installers for the five critical "speedup" patches [KB3205638 (rel. 13-Dec-2016); KB4012583 (rel. 14-Mar-2017); KB4015195 (rel. 11-Apr-2017); KB4015380 (rel. 11-Apr-2017) plus KB4014661 (rel. 11-Apr-2017) if IE9 is installed] if they are currently missing from your computer.  Downloads links are included in the instructions, and STEPs #4 and #5 explain that you should save the .msu installers for any missing "speed up" patches to your Windows desktop and then double-click to run.

-----------

Edited by lmacri, 02 April 2018 - 10:23 PM.

#11 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:12 PM

I bought Cakewalk, a DAW, for sound recording.  It came with a Boss music recorder.  I looked and Cakewalk is Microsoft and needs to run on a Microsoft system.  I would like to switch to a different OS but now I want to stay with Microsoft a little bit longer...

Hi lycogan56:

...and you might want to double-check the system requirements for the Cakewalk product you purchased.  Most Cakewalk products require Win 7 SP1 or higher, per their KB article Will Cakewalk software run on my computer?.

Extended support for Vista SP2 ended on 11-Apr-2017 and many programs like Apple's iTunes store, Mozilla Firefox, Norton Security, etc. are planning to discontinue support for the Vista platform on or before June 2018.  If you can afford to do so, purchasing a new Win 10 computer might be a better choice than trying to patch an old Vista SP2 OS that's has reached its end-of-support.
-----------

Edited by lmacri, 02 April 2018 - 10:28 PM.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:22 AM

Also, be aware that Cakewalk has been taken over by BandLab, and the future of various Cakewalk product lines is unclear. Is the Software Sonar? If it's not Sonar you have, then it's hard to say whether it's a good idea to embark on using software that may not have a future.

In that case, BandLab have just notified that Sonar has been re-released as free downloadable software named Cakewalk by BandLab, but you would need a computer of suitable specification (at least Windows 7, 64 bit only) :

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-press-release/

If you prefer to continue to work with the existing computer, a well regarded and modest cost DAW that will work under Vista is Reaper:

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Edited by Platypus, 04 April 2018 - 09:42 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#13 lycogan56

lycogan56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:26 PM

I did see Cakewalk was sold, I didn't know it was free.  I bought a Boss 8 track digital recorder.  I am new to recording.  I did see Reaper when i was looking at how to record and started to buy stuff.  I am really just now starting too explore this stuff.  Do you think my digital interface, Boss, or the eight track digital recorder and Reaper will be able to work as one?  I was wondering if their is compatibility like Microsoft to Cakewalk..  That is why I went with the Boss, it was in the price range and was sold with Cakewalk.  I wanted to try out the software studio too.   

I helped a friend record on a 4 track and mix down onto tape about 20 years ago.  I did that and that was much easier type of purchase.

I guess I will have to continue with the updates tonight and see how it goes.  I'll be interested to see if those updates come in right and if Reaper works with my Boss recorder. 

#14 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:57 PM

...I guess I will have to continue with the updates tonight and see how it goes.  I'll be interested to see if those updates come in right and if Reaper works with my Boss recorder. 

Hi lycogan56:

I might be able to provide a few hints before you start if you open your IE9 browser, go to Help | About Internet Explorer and let us know your current Update Versions as shown below, since the KB number would give us some indication of the last time Windows Update ran successfully on your computer.  A Vista SP2 computer that was fully patched before extended support ended in April 2017 should have Update Versions 9.0.60 / KB4014661 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9: April 11, 2017).

Attached File  IE9 Version KB4014661 April 2017.png   17.66KB   0 downloads

-----------

Edited by lmacri, 04 April 2018 - 02:57 PM.

#15 lycogan56

lycogan56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

H lmacri,

I finally checked by control panel / programs/ installed updates.  There are a ton of updates in there. 

KB318519 is the internet explorer number I have.

I think Avast clean up may have erased the contents of my software distribution folder.  Is that what you had mentioned previously? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users