Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Types?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pop7897

pop7897

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

I have been hearing about a lot of different types of Linux and I just wanted to know which other people recommend. I have currently Ubuntu not installed but on cd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

PCLinuxOS :
http://www.pclinuxos.com/news.php
Everything just works...runs as a live cd, if you like it
there is an "install" icon on the desktop.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

I use SimplyMepis. It's pretty user friendly, Debian based, runs off live cd and has an install option. Full root capabilities as well. I also am a HUGE fan of Gentoo, I used it for awhile and I really loved it, it's not the most n00b friendly of distros, but if you wanna learn alot about Linux real fast, that could be a way to go. Another distro that works pretty well for n00bs and is live cd based is KNOPPIX, it's very simple and user friendly, also has an option for installtion as well. Good luck :thumbsup:.
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#4 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

just so you know simplymepis the old ones before 6.0 are debian based.the new mepis 6.0 is ubuntu based.i have simplymepis 3.4.3 and simplymepis 6.0 and kanotix all dual booting.

#5 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:22 PM

I didn't know that the newer ones were Ubuntu based. I have 3.4.3, and I'm sticking with it until I get my new computer. I was never a big fan of Ubuntu, I felt too limited.. What's different between KNOPPIX and Kanotix by the way?

#6 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

yea i dont like new simplymepis because of the ubuntu based.i dont think there is really a big diff between knoppix and kanotix.kano does a excellent job with kanotix.id rather stick with debian unstable/etch like my mepis 3.4.3 and kanotix.ive got a couple of mepis remasters that only use fluxbox and icewm,they run awsome on minimum hardware.so im actually dual booting 2 remasters and mepis 3.4.3 and kanotix.

#7 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:03 AM

I've been using Flux and Ice on my Mepis box, I love it :thumbsup:. Still use some of my KDE apps though..

#8 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

ya you still kinda need kde atleast the libs for some apps.ive only got 128mb for memory so the remasters are a blast.kde is ok if you like all the eyecandy but my flux is set up with yab and conky and rox pinboard for the desktop icons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users