Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden "System Idle Process" ~95% CPU

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 numinous510

numinous510

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

Hello everyone,

Process Explorer shows me a Process (that Task Manager does not) with around 95% CPU usage called "System Idle Process".

I've reinstalled Windows several times the last few days being more careful each time making me very certain that it must be some malware on another HDD (or maybe a rootkit in the hardware I honestly don't know and am quite desperate right now).

I have 130 GB music and 1,77 TB movie files from torrents that I would rather not delete since I always overworked the tags on every song and while I wouldn't really mind a new start since that always makes me kind of happy because everything is newly organized the fact that my maximum download speed is 1.2 MB/s gives me some bad thoughts.

Is there a way to pinpoint where this Process originates from? Or any other idea? I'm very thankful for anything and am happy to provide logs or anything that could help you help me.

Another thing I noticed is a file called "GatherNetworkInfo.vbs" that is supposedly a regular windows file, but doesn't automatically get verified by Autoruns.

Thanks in advance and best regards

numinous510

Attached Files

Edited by numinous510, 01 April 2018 - 11:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

Right the Task Bar click on Start Task Manager then on Performance then on Resource Monitor.  It should show what is hogging resources.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 numinous510

numinous510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

Right the Task Bar click on Start Task Manager then on Performance then on Resource Monitor.  It should show what is hogging resources.

I'll look for strange things in there, thanks for the idea!

The thing that's been bugging me is that this process somehow hides in some programs, like here it is only visible in autoruns.

https://i.imgur.com/FQmmbN1.png

Edited by numinous510, 01 April 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:11 PM

System Idle Process...is an indication of unused/idle system resources.  A high percentage for this...is a good thing.  It's been around in every version of Windows that I am familiar with, not sure why the category was created by Microsoft...it confuses many users.

Google.

Louis

#5 numinous510

numinous510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:22 PM

System Idle Process...is an indication of unused/idle system resources.  A high percentage for this...is a good thing.  It's been around in every version of Windows that I am familiar with, not sure why the category was created by Microsoft...it confuses many users.

Google.

Louis

Just noticed that it shows up when tskmgr shows processes from all users, this aleviated a lot of bad thoughts aswell.

Thanks a lot for clearing this up for me!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

:thumbsup2:, easily done :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users