Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ipv6 no internet access

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Christophe_F

Christophe_F

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

Hi

I recently noticed (when having issues using NordVPN server) I have no Ipv6 internet access.

IPv6 is enabled on my network adapters (all settings set to automatic) but on all network adapters status I see "no internet access" next to Ipv6.

We have 2 laptops connected to the same router/modem, the 2nd laptop has no problems and has internet access for ipv6.

This is what I tried:

- I updated my NIC drivers (sucessfully)

- installed all latest windows 10 updates (also with sucess)

- temporarely disabled Windows defender firewall and avast anti virus

- temporarely disabled and stopped the IP helper Windows service (services.msc)

- in CMD: "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew"

- in CMD: "netsh winsock reset catalog" + "netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log"

- rebooted serveral times the PC

I find it strange that other computers in our home network have no issues with Ipv6.

Are there other network or Windows settings I need to check on my laptop, or does my network card not support ipv6?

My laptop was a custom built laptop from 2016 - i7 cpu with Win 10 pro installed), I don't know if this makes any difference

Thank you in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

I checked again on the network adapter of our 2nd laptop I was wrong in my previous post, both devices have no IPv6 internet access on the network adapter.

This morning I also installed andsucessfully tested NordVPN on a (new) virtual machine with the same windows 10 version as my laptop.

So the conclusion is all our laptops (and VM's) in our network have no Ipv6 internet access, so it might not have anything to do with my VPN problem on my laptop.
I will try to figure out by comparing the settings on my laptop to the other laptop or VM.

I was just wondering if all our PC's have "no ipv6 internet access", can this be a problem in the future? (for example if there's a conversion between ipv4 and ipv6?)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

Does your ISP support IPV6? Is your Router Configured for IPV6?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:43 PM

Hi Sneakycyber

According to some articles I found my ISP (Proximus) switched to IPV6 in 2013 (WAN side), but I don't think it's possible on the LAN side.

This could explain why I don't have Ipv6 internet access on the local network.

About my VPN problem, I'll try to figure it out this week or next week, it must be some configuration on my laptop only.
I think this topic can be closed as resolved, thanks for the explanation!

Edited by Christophe_F, 03 April 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#5 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:30 AM

Hi

Sorry for my late reaction here,my VPN problem is fixed now since I contacted NordVPN support.

It had nothing do to with IPV6 but it was a netbios over tcip setting (under advanced in your ipv4 properties).

On all our devices the option "netbios over tcp ip" was set to default but to solve my problem I had to disable it on 1 laptop (specifically on  the Nord tap adapter, not on my default network adapter)I wouldn't have found it without help from their support team, if the same setting on my another device works fine I did not see any reason to try and change the setting.

The support or helpdesk from NordVPN thinks it could have something to do with a Windows update from last year (fall creators).
They think the fall creators update could have corrupted or broken the Netbios over tcp configuration on only one of my devices.

Apparently many Windows 10 users reported this issue last year (some values in the register were deleted or changed because of this update), so it could be a possible explanation.

Edited by Christophe_F, 09 May 2018 - 03:31 AM.

#6 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:14 AM

There passing the buck of blame Chris......Nord are a dogs breakfast.

Why would a network setting work on one machine, but not the other??? (its just easier to blame windows)

I get the choice to enable/disable ipv6 protocols through my vpn interface, and im guessing thats all they switched.

Check out Mullvad for total anonymity, super-fast speeds, and ease of conflict if you so desire!  :wink:  

I run it on Win10, Kali linux, and our Androids (up to 6 devices), or go open WRT for a dedicated vpn server (router)

Edited by Replicator, 09 May 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#7 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

Hi Replicator

You have a good point, I don't see any reason why the same setting would not work on one machine while it works on the others.

On the other hand we're talking about the exact same application (same version, same install file) on different devices in the same home  network.
Network settings were also identical, so there's not much left to blame it on...

The settings I changed is an IPv4 settings, found under the advanced settings (WINS tab).
I don't think NetBIOS over tcpip works with IPv6, these protocols and services were created before DNS even existed.
NetBIOS evolved over the years and became routable with the NetBIOS over tcip but I don't think it can work with IPv6.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users