Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable Updates on Windows 10 version 1703

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xelnaga

xelnaga

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:02 AM

How to disable Windows 10 updates permanently?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

I don't recommend doing this as you will not be getting security fixes. That being said see the Microsoft thread and post by jonnie45 page 11.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/how-to-turn-off-windows-updates-permanently/603be1d3-b4c5-415a-9094-db0e9d3fc9ab

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

disable the windows update service in msconfig

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

disable the windows update service in msconfig

This is how I used to do it, but now it just gets re-enabled on reboot just to start another windows update, how do I permanently disable it?

There have been reports when the service has been disabled it will re-enable on reboot but I can't confirm it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 April 2018 - 09:56 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

And I am going to repeat John's very wise admonition that it is a terrible idea to permanently disable feature updates under Windows 10.

Each of the Versions of Windows 10 has a far more finite support life than earlier Windows when the service pack philosophy of updating was in place.  That support life is approximately 1.5 years from introduction, so Version 1703 will officially fall out of support and receive no further updates in approximately 6 months.

If you cannot accept the Windows as a service model that's part and parcel of Windows 10 then another operating system is your best, and most appropriate option.  Those who create and maintain any OS know better than any one of us here what's necessary to keep that OS running smoothly and securely.  Using an out-of-support OS, including an out-of-support Version of Windows 10, is madness if you use your machine to interact with cyberspace in any way.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 xelnaga

xelnaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

Thank you all.

But Windows annoys me every time I reboot my computer. It requires to download 5GB updates and I prefer not to.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

If you are being annoyed "every time I reboot my computer" then something is wrong that needs to be fixed.   This is not normal behavior and what you're proposing to do is not a solution in any meaningful sense of the word.  It's not even a bandaid, since you will fall out of support in a couple of months.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

even if you disable updates, windows will still update after 45-day of no updates.  you can't turn them off permanently!  you can only delay them for a short time.

so would you rather do a few updates at a time or several all at once?  your choice........

#9 xelnaga

xelnaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

If you are being annoyed "every time I reboot my computer" then something is wrong that needs to be fixed.   This is not normal behavior and what you're proposing to do is not a solution in any meaningful sense of the word.  It's not even a bandaid, since you will fall out of support in a couple of months.

What is wrong is Microsoft's update enforcement. Computer works fine. I set my Wifi as metered connection and Windows reminds me to update every day. I click later.

Edited by xelnaga, 11 April 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:56 PM

There is nothing wrong with Microsoft.

Windows as a service has been explained here and elsewhere over and over and over again.  It is part and parcel of Windows 10 that users, all users, including enterprise users, will be expected to apply feature updates to keep their systems current and keep security patches coming.

Windows 10 versions drop out of support far more rapidly than earlier versions of Windows did due to this new method of delivery.  See the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet.

If this delivery method is unsatisfactory then it is incumbent on you to find an OS that you are comfortable with.  Microsoft is simply trying to warn you that you need to update your system in order to stay current with Windows 10 itself and ongoing security updates.  All a metered connection does is prevent the updates from downloading over it.  That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be notified that one is required and that you might want to connect via an unmetered connection in order to receive it.

#11 xelnaga

xelnaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

I eventually clicked Update button yesterday. Update crashed and recovered to old version.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:28 PM

I eventually clicked Update button yesterday. Update crashed and recovered to old version.

And, one more time:  Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file

It's either that or, after backing up all your user data and doing an inventory on your software so you can reinstall it, Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.

I'd definitely try the ISO method first.  I have yet to have it fail and use it on machines such as yours which have some sort of "fatal flaw" in the existing Win10 installation.

#13 xelnaga

xelnaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users