Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange issue

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Evilcon666

Evilcon666

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:26 AM

Hey all new to the fourms, but hoping I can get some answers. I've been encountering a few strange issues lately.

So just a few days ago, I have been encountering a strange problem. I can log on to the computer, using my keyboard at the sign on screen. But that's about it, I noticed the keyboard doesnt work in any of the Micorsoft apps. For example, the sticky notes.. browser windows, the search function in start menu etc. But, I am able to type in apps that are installed such as the Discord app, and able to type in the search bar on Steam and use the keyboard to logon to Origin app. 

I went into device manger and tried removing the device from device manager and rebooted the computer, when it came back on it still does not want to work and when I got into my device manager, it is now showing that my keyboard is registering as a mouse...

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not a total idiot when it comes to computers but bare with me if I can't make heads or tales from your answers/respones

Thanks in advance.

I've been using a Razer Deathstalker keyboard, and a Razer Naga 2014 Edition mouse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:32 AM

Try another mouse and keyboard to narrow the issue down (borrow from a friend or family member to test)

#3 Evilcon666

Evilcon666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:35 AM

They keyboard works fine on other computers, problem seems to be isolated to windows programs

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:57 AM

Sorry I meant try another keyboard and mouse on your computer.

Have you tried some of the things mentioned here?

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/64757-keyboard-does-not-work-windows-store-apps.html

#5 Evilcon666

Evilcon666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:01 AM

Sorry I meant try another keyboard and mouse on your computer.

Have you tried some of the things mentioned here?

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/64757-keyboard-does-not-work-windows-store-apps.html

Oh I have not, let me check that too. Glad to know it's not only me lol

#6 Evilcon666

Evilcon666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:19 AM

I can't do some of those steps, keyboad don't wanna run lol And currently don't have an extra keyboard laying around. I can't do the Win+R > taskschd.msc > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > TextServicesFramework. Right click MsCtfMonitor and choose Enable. Reboot your PC.

any way I can access the task scheduler elsewhere?

Correction, I got into task scheuler but I am not able to find MsCFTmonitor it's an empty box

Edited by Evilcon666, 01 April 2018 - 01:25 AM.

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:24 AM

Does the on screen keyboard work for you?

Settings..ease of access.. keyboard

#8 Evilcon666

Evilcon666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:29 AM

It works if I am not typing in a Windows related program. I tried it in sticky notes just now, and nothing but am able to mesage my friend on Discord.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

This keyboard has a lot of options, like programmable keys.  Have you tried resetting the keyboard back to its' default settings?

Have you tried a different USB port?

When you went into the Device Manager and opened Keyboards there may have been more than the one keyboard listed.  Did you make sure that you were uninstalling the driver for the correct keyboard?

Another possible repair would be to reinstall the drivers that came with the keyboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Evilcon666

Evilcon666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

When I tired the different port it didn't fix the problem but instead now it's detecting the keyboard as a mouse in device manager.

I did notice that it's showing a bunch of HID keyboards under the keyboard section in device manager.

Tried uninstalling/removing the keyboard and drivers from device manager as well with no luck

#11 Evilcon666

Evilcon666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:09 AM

Anybody have any suggestions? I tried the one opera said and couldn't locate what I needed in the task scheduler

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

How to open the OSK (On-Screen Keyboard)

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

Sellect Ease of Access, then click on Keyboard.

Under Turns on the On-Screen Keyboard slide the switch to the right to open the OSK.

You can turn off the OSK by clicking on the Close icon (X) in the upper left portion of the screen.

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 Evilcon666

Evilcon666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

The sfc scan did not find any issues. I tried that as well, I found that suggestion elsewhere but no issues were found.

#14 Evilcon666

Evilcon666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:22 AM

Anybody with some clues or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm at wits end

#15 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:38 AM

Hi, use your on screen keyboard to press the win + r keys together, in the run dialogue box copy paste:-

c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe (press enter). Turn off on screen keyboard, and try the keyboard now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users