Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power options being changed automatically by another program?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 breMapug5dur6Peser_p

breMapug5dur6Peser_p

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

I'm trying to benchmark my PC using UserBenchmark. On the results page it told me that my CPU was being capped, and gave instructions on how to change the maximum processor state in power options to 100%, as this may be the issue. I was fairly certain that my processor wasn't being capped in this was, as I usually have it set to 'High Performance'. However, when I went to edit the power plan, it was capped at 63%, despite being labelled 'High Performance'. I set it to 100% and reran the benchmark. I wound up getting a worse result, so I went back to the power plan settings and found that the CPU was again capped, but this time at 47%. The plans themselves seem to be renamed to have '+ MW' at the end. I can even watch the plans be changed if I wait a few seconds at the power options screen. I've attached an .mp4 that demonstrates this. Any ideas on how to find out what's changing the power plans? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

How old is your machine, it is possible that above average temps may be partially throttling the processor.  Check your temps!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 techiegeek12

techiegeek12

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:36 PM

How old is your machine, it is possible that above average temps may be partially throttling the processor.  Check your temps! and fans 

#4 breMapug5dur6Peser_p

breMapug5dur6Peser_p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:11 AM

I discovered what the issue was; as it turns out it was power management software I installed a year ago out of curiosity that I never ran after initially trying it out, but neglected to uninstall. The software in question is called 'Granola' and was developed by 'MiserWare', which explains the '+MW' added to the power plan names. The software never mentioned (to my knowledge) that a daemon of sorts would be created just by installing the software. No process with or related to the names Granola or MiserWare could be found in Task Manager, but sure enough uninstalling solved the issue. 

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

Great sometimes the simple forgotten things can drive you a little crazy.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users