Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make files run from my second hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Bubbaspiff

Bubbaspiff

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

Hello! I have 2 drives, and SSD and a hard drive. I want to have windows run on my SSD so that it is quick, but I want my other files to run from my hard drive. My SSD is almost full, to with in megabyte range, and I have all my files cloned to my Hard Drive. I was wondering if somehow I could just remove windows from my hard drive, and leave it on my SSD, and then delete all my files o my SSD except windows. Could really use some help here, because it seems as though I bought a $70 hard drive for nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

You could just turn the larger hard drive into a storage drive, label it "D" or something for windows.

But i guess you used disk cloning here? just format the hard drive and just move your files to it.

It should be dead simple to do.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Bubbaspiff

Bubbaspiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

You could just turn the larger hard drive into a storage drive, label it "D" or something for windows.

But i guess you used disk cloning here? just format the hard drive and just move your files to it.

It should be dead simple to do.

I have my hard drive set as "E" and it is formatted and it has all my files from my SSD on it already, but everything is still running from my SSD. thats the issue.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

Well as long as your files are copied to the secondary drive then you should just be able to remove them from the SSD.

They will still work as long as they are copied to the larger hard drive, windows will run them like normal.

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 March 2018 - 08:57 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Bubbaspiff

Bubbaspiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

Well as long as your files are copied to the secondary drive then you should just be able to remove them from the SSD.

They will still work as long as they are copied to the larger hard drive, windows will run them like normal.

I have been trying to do that too, but there is always something that says "You can't delete this, it is running somewhere" or something like that. Sorry if I'm being dumb, not the best with this sort of stuff, but this bleep is really annoying. 

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:03 PM

Hrm are you running steam or anything like that?

Or trying to copy over your user folder?

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 March 2018 - 09:04 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Bubbaspiff

Bubbaspiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

Hrm are you running steam or anything like that?

Or trying to copy over your user folder

Steam was actually one of the only things that i removed form my SSD, yet for some reason beyond my comprehension, it is still trying to download updates to a file that does not exist in my SSD, even though it is not on there and in my hard drive.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

AAH, well that would explain things.

You may wish to reinstall steam as just copying the directory tends to spit out errors.

Ensure the games library is set to a new folder on your larger hard drive.

If you have game save files, well sorry not much to do as steam will just cough up issues no matter what.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:10 PM

You can move the library files like my documents, downloads,  my videos, my pictures ...ect. to the hdd from your sdd so you'll be able to save the space on your ssd. you can also move the location of your temp internet files to be stored on that hdd too

By default, Windows stores your personal folders like Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos in C:\Users. If you want to move them to a secondary drive—say, if you have an SSD that can’t house all your files—you can do so with a simple menu option.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/moving-your-personal-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the-easy-way/

Edited by Joe C, 31 March 2018 - 09:12 PM.

#10 Bubbaspiff

Bubbaspiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

AAH, well that would explain things.

You may wish to reinstall steam as just copying the directory tends to spit out errors.

Ensure the games library is set to a new folder on your larger hard drive.

If you have game save files, well sorry not much to do as steam will just cough up issues no matter what.

Ok, so reinstall steam. Got it. But what about my other files that won't let me delete them? It's practically all of them. If I re-format my SSD, then will windows still run from that, or my hard drive? Tbh I'm thinking about giving up an buying a decent high storage SSD cause I'm done. 

Edited by Bubbaspiff, 31 March 2018 - 09:14 PM.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

No need to go drastic, there are ways around this.

I myself store windows on my SSD and my games and files on the second platter drive.

Windows and steam are well just... dumb, but we can train them to take advantage of the space you now have.

Is windows set to fast boot may I ask?

https://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

If its set for fast boot disable it, that is where I would start

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 March 2018 - 09:16 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 Bubbaspiff

Bubbaspiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

No need to go drastic, there are ways around this.

I myself store windows on my SSD and my games and files on the second platter drive.

Windows and steam are well just... dumb, but we can train them to take advantage of the space you now have.

Is windows set to fast boot may I ask?

https://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

I do not have fast boot turned on, so now what?

Edited by Bubbaspiff, 31 March 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

Well that's good now are you using any special tools to copy files over to the new hard drive?

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 Bubbaspiff

Bubbaspiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:25 PM

Well that's good now are you using any special tools to copy files over to the new hard drive?

The files are already copied, and I used Acronis True Image to clone my SSD to my Hard drive

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

So you did use a disk cloning tool, well that would explain why you're having issues. In this case underneath your new hard drive I will just reformat the entire disk don't reformat the solid state drive that is fine but do reformat the standard platter Drive as long as you know the drive letter and it's name you should be fine to do this that's probably the main reason why you're having some of your issues

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users