Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender Av

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:34 PM

I'm testing trial versions of AV programs. I like BitDefender the best so far, except for one problem that I know will become annoying enough to me, I will choose another brand if I can't fix it. When I use BitDefender, programs often take a considerably long time to open. An example: A lapse of almost 20 seconds can occur between the time I click on my Firefox desktop icon and the browser opening. Other programs do this, too. Once the program opens, though, it functions fine. I don't have this problem with the ZoneAlarm AV trial (my second choice). I'm running Windows XP SP 2 on an HP Pavilion desktop PC. Is anyone familiar with this? By the way, I'm not running more than one AV program at the same time. Lastly, if I may do so politely: I have spent nearly a month doing research. Please do not post simply to recommend other AV programs. Thank you to all who reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:48 AM

A stab in the dark here:

I'm guessing that your applications are opening a bit slower than what you are accustomed to because BitDefender is scanning them for viruses before allowing them to open. The following quote from their website seems to support this theory, bold face mine:

Permanent Antivirus Protection
The new and improved BitDefender scanning engines will scan and disinfect infected files on access, minimizing data loss. Infected documents can now be recovered instead of being deleted.

From: <http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-2145-en--BitDefender-Antivirus-v10.html>

This would be a good thing in my book, and to me, at least, it doesn't seem to be causing a major slowdown.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:14 AM

I suppose that is possible. However, if I use the context menu to scan a specific application for viruses, it takes about 4 seconds or less. Certainly not nearly 20. Thank you for the reply; I hope to hear others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users