Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing defaults by app and not by file type

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:31 PM

Hello! I am trying to remove all VLC's defaults for opening files. This is mainly because I get the VLC icon on every .zip and .rar file in my system and it makes things confusing. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:15 AM

Go to Settings.. select Apps and then select Default Apps which is listed on left hand side of the page.

Go to the bottom of that page and click on Default Apps by file type. This may take a couple of seconds to populate.

Go to the very bottom  (it's all in alphabetical order) where the zip file association is listed and left click on it to change it to what you want to open it with, do the same with your rar file association in that list.

#3 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

Hello opera! Thank you for the response. Sadly that's not what I'm looking for. VLC is not only associated to .zip, but several other unrelated extensions. Also, I don't have another app to open them with, I just want it cleared.

No way to do it?

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

Go to settings > Apps > Default apps and click the "Reset" button to reset to Microsoft defaults.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#5 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

Go to settings > Apps > Default apps and click the "Reset" button to reset to Microsoft defaults.

Hello dmccoyks. Thanks for your reply! I tried that, didn't work :(

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,188 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:24 PM

See the following link
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-set-default-programs-and-file-types-in-windows-10/

If that doesn’t work then have you tried to uninstall vlc then make your .zip file and .rar extensions openwith the correct program as the default? Then you can reinstall vlc.

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#7 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

See the following link
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-set-default-programs-and-file-types-in-windows-10/

If that doesn’t work then have you tried to uninstall vlc then make your .zip file and .rar extensions openwith the correct program as the default? Then you can reinstall vlc.

The link actually helped! Reinstalling solved it (actually VLC lets you select the file associations you want, silly me!).

Thanks dmccoyks!

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,188 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

Okay good to hear. You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users