Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading SSD drive. Two recovery partitions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WieMe

WieMe

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Windows 10, Asus M51AC, Core i7-4770, 16GB, 256GB SSD, 4TB, 2TB, 1TB internal drives, 4TB & 1TB external drives

I want to replace my 250GB SSD boot drive with a 500GB, but just noticed that I have 2 recovery partitions (and a 100MB unknown partition) in addition to the main partition. I'm thinking all I need is one recovery partition and the main partition, but not sure how to figure out which recovery partition to keep? Or should I just keep what's there?

Running Windows 10 now, but this started as a Win8 Home machine a couple years ago. Upgraded to Win8 Pro before moving to Windows 10. Did a clone when I added the original SSD, but would like to clean up some space now instead of just cloning again.

Thanks for any info or help.

21va0z.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

I believe you need the 300 and 100 MB partitions for Windows but 450 MB seems very small for a recovery partition.

I would clone this drive then pull it out and keep it otherwise untouched, unless you have another use for it. Then write the clone to your new 500GB drive. Then, using disk management or whatever utility you prefer, delete the 450 MB partition on the new drive and expand the one called 'SSD_250GB (C:) to take up all the remaining space which should leave you a C: of about 465 GB, depending on how the numbers work.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

Your best option (imho) would be a clean install, doing those upgrades from one os to another can (possibly) lead to issues down the road. And you won't need tp question those partitions. Please remember that you might want to leave some space at the end of that SSD for over provisioning  

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

The 300MB partition is for the Windows 8 Recovery Options. Because Windows 10 requires more space it creates another partition for the Recovery Options and sizes it to 450MB. I can't say what will happen if you delete the 300MB partition. 

Normally during a clean install the Windows RE is at the beginning of the drive.

How-to-partition-your-hard-disk-shrink-v​

#5 WieMe

WieMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

Thanks. I'll be tackling this in a few days and let you know how it turns out.

I know a clean install would be best, but I'm shunning it for now because of all the time involved as far as program reinstalls and such.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:17 PM

Easiest way to tackle it would be to create a disk image using something like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper, or Easeus Todo Backup Free to a USB external drive. Make sure you create the bootable CD or USB each program offers and test boot it making sure your USB external is detected. If it is not detected do a refresh.

Do any partition deletions or movements with Partition Wizard. If something goes wrong then recover the image from the USB external. In your Disk Management Image I would do the following.

Delete the 300MB RE partition. Move the 100MB partition to the start of the drive. Resize the Windows partition into the unallocated space created by the moved 100MB partition. All steps are virtual until Apply is clicked.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 March 2018 - 07:18 PM.

#7 WieMe

WieMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:13 AM

Makes sense to me, JohnC_21. That's about what I was thinking, especially knowing now that the 450 is the one to keep.

I've got Acronis, and always make a disk image before/as part of anything like this anyway. So if things go south, I can just start over again.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users