Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeping extended setting when closing laptop lid

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bartek1

Bartek1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I have been searching for an anwser for over a week and I am quite desperate now.

I have a Lenovo 120S-11IAP Winbook (ideapad), running Windows 10, and connected it to my external monitor. There I choose the extend option and it works fine. However, when I close the lid, everything from my laptop screen jumps to external screen.

What I wanted to know is: How can I ensure that, when I close the laptop lid, both screens stay independent and that programs do not jump from one screen to another?

Thank you in advance and really appreciate the help.

Kind Regards,

Bartek

Edited by Bartek1, 31 March 2018 - 02:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:40 AM

Have you tried the Power Options  'choose what closing the lid does' settings and setting it to 'do nothing'?

This should work but would leave your machine on  :(

#3 Bartek1

Bartek1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hey Opera,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, that option has been tried out and it does not work. :(.

I will continue to search, maybe there is a software or something that will help. 

Thank you again. Should I get an anwser, I will post it here.

#4 Bartek1

Bartek1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

Hey,

So this is what I came across for Windows 7:

https://superuser.com/questions/88548/prevent-monitor-switching-when-closing-laptop-lid

Should this help some people, I am glad. For Windows 10 ( AT least for me) it doesn't.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

Does good, old fashioned hibernation not work?

If you haven't tried setting the ability to hibernate back to on and the setting for closing the lid to "hibernate" I'd definitely try that.  Your whole system state should be saved to disk for a true hibernation.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 Bartek1

Bartek1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:53 PM

Hey Britechguy,

Thank you for your response. I have tried that as well and for me it just goes to hibernation and I have to turn my laptop back on.

I tried the reg key LidAlwaysOpen = 1 but that didn't work out. If it worked for Win 7 there should be a way for Win 10 but alas, so far no luck.

I know there is a solution :).

I will try tomorrow again and see if anything pops up.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:16 AM

I'm really not understanding what it is you are trying to accomplish here.

Typically, when one closes the lid on a laptop one wants to do one of the following to the machine:  sleep, hibernate, or shut down.

Sleep should keep all of your settings and awake as soon as the lid is lifted (or very shortly after you open it).  Hibernate should keep all your settings but requires you to hit the power button to cause the machine to come back on and load its prior system state from disc (which can be a very rapid process if you have an SSD).  Shutdown, if Fast Startup is OFF, will have the machine turned off and when you power it up it powers up from scratch and, if Fast Startup is ON, should retain your previous system state (all settings) but will not retain your user state (the specific programs you had open).

What version and build of Windows 10 are you using?  You might want to try:

Edited by britechguy, 02 April 2018 - 10:18 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 Bartek1

Bartek1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

No worries, I will explain it again.

So I have my laptop and external monitor connected, and placed it in extend mode. When I close my laptop lid, everything that was on my laptop screen switches to my external monitor. I don't want that. I want to keep my word document, that is displayed on my laptop screen, stay with my laptop and not migrate to my external monitor.

But the laptop is programmed that, when the lid closes, all programs, etc. are migrated/moved to external monitor.

This is the best I could describe it. I guess its not a common thing that people ask.

Thx for the responses anyways.

Edited by Bartek1, 02 April 2018 - 12:53 PM.

#9 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

Bartek1

A possible workaround...

Tap Windows Key + P, set PC Screen Only Close the Laptop.
Tap Windows Key + P, set Extend to resume using the Extend Monitor.

Old Rocker

#10 Bartek1

Bartek1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

Hey Old Rocker,

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't work 

Anyways, sooner or later something will come along. I guess the problem is that the laptops have somewhere programmed that when the lid closes, it is out of function. I will try some things with the registery and see if that will fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users