Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No Bootable Device" error. Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John_Howard

John_Howard

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

So, my daughter-law's HP dv7 laptop started giving the "No Bootable Device" error.  Now, I have seen this error many times before, and it has always mean that the HDD was bad.  Of course like most people, she had not backed it up and was upset when I told her I thought the HDD was bad because she would lose a ton of pictures. So I took the HDD out and stuck it in my external docking station to see if I could get it to read.  It did.  I copied about 120 GB of data off it with no problem. So, now I am like, "Humm...  The HDD is not bad.  It must be something else."   Now I had a brand new laptop HDD that I had pulled out of another HP laptop when I cloned it to an SSD.  It was ready to go.  So I stuck it in her laptop and booted it up.  Same error, "No Bootable Device". 

Now I was getting worried.  It seemed the only logical answer was the motherboard HDD control was bad.  But, I was not ready to give the laptop the death sentence yet, so I tried a BIOS reset, just in case it had some how become corrupted.  Still no good.  So I was like, I wonder if the BIOS can even see the HDD?  So, I booted into the BIOS routine and looked at the Boot Order to see if the HDD was there.  BOOM!  There it was plain as day. I ran a RAM and HDD check from using the BIOS system diagnostics and both passed. So Now I am confused.  The BIOS can see the drive, but can't boot from it.  So, I tossed in a copy of Puppy Linux on CD and booted the laptop up to check and see if it could boot at all.  It did just fine and there was the HDD again.  I could access it and go through the files.  There was an error though.  Puppy said that the "3G driver for the HDD could not be found.  An alternative driver has been used, but the HDD is Read Only".   Of course, I have no Idea what the 3G driver is, or if it has anything to do with the problem or not.  

So, here I am scratching my head.  I know the HDD is good.  I know the BIOS can see HDD and it can also be accessed from the Puppy Linux environment, so that must mean the motherboard control is working. I know the laptop can boot up from the CD drive and has full function. But the computer cannot boot from the HDD. 

This is a first time for me seeing this error.  I have no idea where to go from here.  I am hoping someone else has some Ideas.   Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

if you have everything saved off the drive then try to re-install whichever OS you had on there

#3 John_Howard

John_Howard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

if you have everything saved off the drive then try to re-install whichever OS you had on there

Tried that.  No good.  Just got the "No available hard disk" error.    I just booted the laptop from the original HDD via USB using my external docking bay. So the HDD or the operating system is not the problem.

Edited by John_Howard, 31 March 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

I'm assuming your are using a Windows 7 install disk. If you can get the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk   You should see your hard drive listed as disk 0

select disk 0

list volume

Post a screenshot or copy and paste the output to a USB flash drive.

Edit: Can you access the advanced boot options by tapping F8 at boot?

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 March 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#5 John_Howard

John_Howard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

I'm assuming your are using a Windows 7 install disk. If you can get the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk   You should see your hard drive listed as disk 0

select disk 0

list volume

Post a screenshot or copy and paste the output to a USB flash drive.

Edit: Can you access the advanced boot options by tapping F8 at boot?

No good.  I installed the original HDD back in the laptop and tried to install windows 7 from a DVD disk.  This is the screenshot.  Never seen this before.

The site is not allowing me to post a picture (Gerrrr!), so here is a link to it.   https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Gl2aXHzbOMQPYsU2

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

Before you get to the Windows you posted an image of you should have gotten a screen asking for language. Press Shift + F10 at that screen and do the diskpart commands. 

windows-7-install-5-58070cd23df78cbc28be​

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 March 2018 - 03:53 PM.

#7 John_Howard

John_Howard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

Okay.  Got it fixed.  I went into the BIOS and enabled everything there was regardless of what it said.  None of it had to do with with HDD Access, but it did something and the computer stared trying to boot from the HDD.  I went back and did a BIOS reset to defaults and it still could see the drive. The windows installation was damaged to the point that I could not do a system restore from the HP restore partition, so I ran a system repair from the Windows 7 DVD, which took a long time, and then the HP Restore option became available.  I ran that and now I have a function laptop, with an 8 year old operating system on. It.  I am wondering now if there is a way to  get a fully updated of  Win 7 and use that to upgrade the current windows installation in one fail swoop, instead of downloading and installing 8 years of windows updates, which is sure to cause problems.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

People have posted that Windows 10 is still free even doing a clean install with a Windows 7 key. Before doing this though I would create a disk image to a USB external drive using software like Macrium Free. If Windows 10 did not activate then you could recover the image of Windows 7 without a problem. You can get your Windows 7 key from either the COA sticker on the side or bottom of the computer. 

Create a Windows 10 install DVD or USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool. See the below guide for a clean install guide and also the thread about Windows 10 still being free. Some people were able to upgrade to Windows 10 and have it activated by selecting Upgrade this PC Now from within the Media Creation Tool. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/671974/10-still-free-here-is-how/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

If you do not want Windows 10 then you will need to go through the updates.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 April 2018 - 01:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users