Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot seriously slow after installing CPU liquid cooling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mwabaartmans

mwabaartmans

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Hi all!

Just today I upgraded the standard air cooling on my Alienware Aurora R7 to a liquid one, the Masterliquid M120 Lite. My choice for this cooler was mostly space driven, as the Aurora's case provides VERY little room inside.

I installed the liquid cooler, which is working properly: I ran Intel's stress test and the Intel burn test and the processor if performing fine with temperatures never exceeding the 85C mark. However, booting has become massively slower: my system used to be up and running within 20-25 seconds, that is now 4-5 minutes. On top of that, during start-up I get some warning signs from my on/off switch: it flashes either once (which might indicate system board failure) or five times in succession (which indicates CMOS battery failure). However, after the entire process my machine runs smoothly as ever, including games, and tests provided by Dell and PC Doctor are not showing any errors at all. I think I should mention there is no monitor output whatsoever during 95% of the start-up. Only thing that is flagged is a fan error, which is probably due to the cpu-fan no longer being connected (as it is now replaced by a pump fan).

Is there something I forgot or should do when adding new (aftermarket) hardware? I tried the usual: double checking all cables on the system board etc.. Hope somebody can help me!

My specs are:

CPU: Intel i7 8700 up to 4.6 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

RAM: 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz (2X16GB)

Case: Alienware 850W EPA Bronze PSU

Cooling: Cooler Master Masterliquid M120 Lite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

85c is pretty hot!  how much thermal paste did you apply to the cpu and heatsink?  a small pea size drop on the center of the cpu is all you need.  if you used more then that then you can be creating a new problem and actually insulating the cpu from the heatsink and then the cpu is not able to transfer heat to the heat sink.  this will put the cpu in a slower mode of operation to cool itself down.

you really need to check temps in an idol state of operations to see if it's dropping below 85c if it's not then double check the heat sink.

#3 mwabaartmans

mwabaartmans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

Hi Mightywiz,

Thanks for your advise. During the stress tests my CPU heats up to a maximum of 85C, which is all cores running at 100%. During gaming it is roughly 65-70, and idle it is in the low 30s. I think the thermal paste was applied correctly but I will double check nonetheless.

I dont see how this would effect my boot time though. I thought maybe my BIOS is not yet recognizing the new cooling system or somethinf but I really have no clue. Do you know if that could be checked?

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:06 PM

if your in the 30c in an idle state then that's not your problem.

have you replace the cmos checked the voltage of the cmos battery for 3v?

if is 2.8 or less you need to change it.  if this is the case then your bios could be causing this issue.  especially if it has to rescan your sata bus for drives everytime.  it could really slow down boot times and other things.

#5 mwabaartmans

mwabaartmans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Mightywiz. I did not change anything on the CMOS end so I will have to check. Do you think a hard reset on the system board by changing the CMOS pins might also help?

Just to be sure: 70C while gaming is not an abnormal temperature? I figured these i7's get pretty hot and the thermal throttling doesn't kick in until 100C (although 100C would get me worried). 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:27 AM

Max operating temp for that CPU is 100Celsius, http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7%20i7-8700K.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users