Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD A4 5300 or Intel Core 2 Duo. Please help,which better buy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

Hello Sir,

I'm buying a used computer (prefer save money), both have older processors. Please help, which better. I don't know much about computer stuff.

The AMD A4 5300B run at 3.40 GHz processor speed.
The Intel Core 2 Duo run at 2.93 GHz processor speed.
Both are 4GB memory.

I heard AMD is better for gaming, but I'm not buying it for that. I'm just using it for the daily normal computer stuff.
Part of me said go with Intel Core 2 due to no gaming.
But then part of me said go with the AMD A4 because of the higher GHz.

Please may I know your opinions/viewpoints on this. Thank you very much.

eta to clarify that the AMD A4 is 5300B (I don't think the B make much difference).

Edited by ThankYouSir, 31 March 2018 - 02:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

Hello ThankYouSir,

It is not just the CPUs that you need to consider here, you mention that both computers have 4GB of RAM but what speed is the RAM on each computer, the AMD CPU is compatible with 1600MHz RAM but as we do not know the exact Core 2 Duo CPU we cannot check to see what speed of RAM it is compatible with, if only 1066MHz or 1333MHz it makes going for the AMD computer an easier decision.

Other considerations are the capacity and speed of the hard drive, the condition of each computer and the price.

NB: The version of any OS that may come with either computer also needs to be considered, anything previous to Windows 7 and you would be looking to have to upgrade in the near future.

#3 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

Thank you Sir PhillPower2 for your help me.

I'm sorry my English is not very good. What I'm buying it a used computer but they said it refurbished, so it actually upgraded to windows 10 (both desktops were windows 7, but upgraded to 10).

This is the spec of 2 PCs, base on what they said in the sale item.

Condition: Both Refurbished.
Operating system: Both Windows 10
RAM memory: Both 4GB
Processor speed: The AMD A4 5300B one they said it run at 3.40 GHz speed.
The Intel Core 2 Duo one they said it run at 2.93 GHz speed.

It didn't said which Core 2 Duo, but from Google at the 2.93 GHz, it only can be the Core 2 Duo E6500 or E7500, no?

And by MHz, you mean the Data Bus speed? If so, it didn't list it in the item.

Right now I have a HP Windows 7 desktop that I been using since 2011/2012 and it AMD (I never have experience with an Intel before). The HP windows 7 AMD I have it still run good (not broken or anything) considering it been 6-7 years already, and I always been using it ridiculously since day one and every single day nonstop. I'm surprise it still working, it just run slower now.

I just want to buy a windows 10 one since it new window you know, but I want to save money so I go with the used/refurbished.

um.. maybe go with the AMD? since I been using AMD?

You know how I heard people said AMD is more expensive, but that two refurbished listed sale above, the Intel Core 2 Duo one the price it actually more. That I'm actually confuse because AMD A4 5300 come out "after/later" than the Intel Core 2 Duo.

Anyways, maybe I should just stop being cheap and buy a new unopen windows 10 desktop then, sigh.. but I'm just cheap, habit die hard :-)

Edited by ThankYouSir, 31 March 2018 - 11:50 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

What is your budget?

It is possible to get manufacturer refurbished machines, both laptop and desktop, with much better processors than either of these two for under $500, often well under $500 (US).

I'm a big believer in buying refurbished and the computer I'm typing on is an HP refurbished laptop that came with an A12-9700P processor and a 2TB HDD for just a shade over $400 US.

If you're buying for the long haul, and it sounds like you are (and I was, too), you're far better spending the most you can afford to spend to get something that has some "room to grow" over the coming years as Windows 10 gets feature updates.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

FWIW:  Some Refurb Systems Available.

Core 2 Duo systems...are pretty much out of date in the seller/buyer market, IMO.  I have an Optiplex 755 system (Win 7,Core 2 Duo) refurb which I purchased a couple of years ago and I use it as a backup/second system with no problems.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 April 2018 - 09:49 AM.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Hello ThankYouSir,

My replies #2 and #6 are only in answer to your question of which is better an AMD A4 5300B 3.40GHz or an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 GHz, now that we have the additional info of the two processors the AMD would be better, faster, more recent and compatible with 1600MHz RAM as opposed to the older Intel CPU being limited to 1066MHz memory.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

Out of these choices i would go with the AMD.

However what is your budget?

As suggested there are plenty of good cheap computers out there both refurbished and not.

Its just a matter of looking.

We can point you to a good machine that is cheap, compatible with modern tasks and fairly fast.

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 March 2018 - 12:59 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

Thank you so much Sir PhillPower 2, Sir britechguy, Sir hamluis, and Sir MadmanRB for help me.
I'm really behind in technology so I don't know much about new CPUs/processors stuff. As the only computer I have is the window 7 AMD one I got back in 2011/2012.

I never play game, so I really don't need a gaming computer.
I just need a basic computer where I can read world news like CNN, BBC. Browse around forums, listen to music watch DVDs, and that pretty much it.

My windows 7 AMD one I rarely download any software, all I download is the Microsoft window 7 Security updates and monthly Rollup, a CCleaner, a VLC media player, and Norton. That it.

Well, my budget is $400 that counted tax (which you can't barely buy a desktop with these days inflation, and I live in a very HCOL state) but I do see a new 2017 HP Windows 10 computer, that at the regular price of $349.
It this one: HP Slim 270-p043w Desktop, Intel Core i3-7100 Processor, 8GB Memory.

Maybe I should get that? since it brand new unopen box.

oh, and one more question if you can help me. The refurbished AMD A4 5300B run at 3.40 GHz speed.
And the refurbised Intel Core 2 Duo run at 2.93 GHz speed.
Both of that refurbished they sale at about $130 (like couple dollars difference).

Processor wise, I think Intel Core 2 duo released date was like 10 year sago.
And AMD A4 5300B released date was 5 years go.

The Intel Core 2 Duo one is 1TB HDD hard drive.
And the AMD A4 5300B one is 2TB SATA hard drive (AMD one hard drive is double in size).

I always heard that Intel is better than AMD. But then I heard that Hard drive wise SATA is better than HDD.

These two refurbished ones, the price of the Intel Core 2 Duo it more (however it two different sellers, so maybe it just that seller price it higher or lower).
Anyways, if that is the only two options I have, the AMD one clearly is better right? But part of me said isn't it too good to be true for a 2TB at that price? I  mean I hope they don't ship me a broken refurbished computer or something.

If you were me which would you buy in that two refurbished choice?

I'm sorry I asked too much questions, I just have anxiety and I'm super confuse when it come to CPUs stuff. I only ever use AMD though, so I do want to try Intel (as I keep heard it better), but with that two refurbished choice and price, the AMD one better right?

Edited by ThankYouSir, 31 March 2018 - 01:54 PM.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

Let me break my response down for you:

As the only computer I have is the window 7 AMD one I got back in 2011/2012.

Interesting, have any idea on what you are running now outside of the processor.

Like a model number perhaps?

I never play game, so I really dont' need a gaming computer.
I just need a basic computer where I can read world news like CNN, BBC. Browse around forums, listen to music watch DVDs, and that pretty much it.

My windows 7 AMD one I rarely download any software, all I download is the Microsoft window 7 Security updates and monthly Rollup, a CCleaner, a VLC media player, and Norton. That it.

Cool, basic needs are fine and practically any machine can do that right now. I can cook up a few suggestions based on this.

Well, my budget is $400 (which you can't barely buy a desktop with these days inflation, and I live in a very HCOL state) but I do see a new 2017 HP Windows 10 computer, that at the regular price of $349.
It this one: HP Slim 270-p043w Desktop, Intel Core i3-7100 Processor, 8GB Memory.

Maybe I should get that? since it brand new unopen box.

Eh slimlines are very limited, what if in the future you wanted to upgrade something?

Its better to get a full tower.

For your range you can buy better, even if its another refurb.

oh, and one more question if you can help me. The refurbished AMD A4 5300B run at 3.40 GHz speed.
And the refurbised Intel Core 2 Duo run at 2.93 GHz speed.
Both of that refurbished they sale at about $130 (like couple dollars difference).

If the core2duo is cheaper... well its okay but the AMD model is more current then go for that.

At that price point the AMD would kick the pants off the core2duo, its faster and more current.

The Intel Core 2 Duo one is 1TB HDD hard drive.
And the AMD A4 5300B one is 2TB SATA hard drive (AMD one hard drive is double in size).

Then the AMD is worth it, that is a steal actually.

keep heard that Intel is better than AMD, but then I also heard that Hard drive wise SATA is better than HDD.

Nope, wrong.

yes often times a intel processor is better but in this case the AMD will be better.

Granted compared to its competitors the AMD A4 is not all that great but there we are talking about core i5's or i3 processors.

For example the Core i3 3220 would have been its closest competitor and it would have been better.

The core 2 is older thus falls behind, it will be inferior for your price point.

These two refurbished ones, the price of the Intel Core 2 Duo it more (however it two different sellers, so maybe it just that seller price it higher or lower).

Anyways, if that is the only two options I have, the AMD one clearly is better right? But part of me said isn't it too good to be true for a 2TB at that price? I  mean I hope they don't ship me a broken refurbished computer or something.

Well that hangs off your marketplace.

Is this ebay or amazon? Or some other online retailer?

If you were me which would you buy in that two refurbished choice?

I'm sorry I asked too much questions, I just have anxiety and I'm super confuse when it come to CPUs/computer stuff.

Again I personally go for the AMD in this case.

And no need to worry about questions, that is why we are here.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

AMD in this case, as others have already said.  That AMD is simply faster and allows for faster RAM to be run.  That is the better and newer cpu.  I prefer Intel, but have AMD also.  Mostly  like to have the Intel for Laptops, but for a Desktop either is fine.

I put all my used computers through all tests to prove that they are in good working condition.  If it were me I would ask it they have done an extensive HDD Test?

If you say what country you are in someone here will be able to look at more used computers for you, but that is your choice of course.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

Rehi hello, I'm sorry I'm back. Sir MadmanRB or any other Sir, please if you can help me with a technical problem, I not sure if I should post this in the Windows 7 section (please let me know if it should go there), but since I have this thread so I continue it here.

The computer I'm using for the past 7 years is the desktop HP Pavilion p2-1124 (500 GB hard drive, AMD E-300 processor, 1.30 GHz, 4 GB). Windows 7 ofcourse.
I bought this computer in late 2011/early 2012, and I'm still using it now in 2018, which amaze me given how "Slow" the processor is (AMD E-300). I guess it lasted this long due to it an pavillion, I always heard pavillion desktop do last a while.

Everything with this old computer was all fine and dandy until the past week, now I have a system error, and this happened EVERYTIME I installed Windows updates and restart. For example, like usual I always installed the Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 you know, (never was a problem before. And I have this computer since 2011 till now, so I know it not related to Windows updates), until now when I restart and I get the system error.

The system error symptoms is super slow boot up time (it takes forever to get to the welcome screen), And once it able to boot up, you know how the Windows Aero transparency taksbar, It suddenly change to a Windows 98 greyed taskbar (which it scary to me because I know for sure I have Windows 7, so why am I seeing the Windows 98 taskbar?).
And then at the greyed tasked bar it show a lock and it give this error message:

[[ Failed to connect to a windows service.
Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond. ]]

Error.png

Yes, and this error happen everytime, literally everytime I installed any Windows updates, like those security monthly patches from Microsoft (those important updates, that I must update, it not giving me a choice).

If you cut and paste the error message above to Google, there actually tons of threads on this error (from Windows 7 to Windows 10 itself), but so far there None actually way of really fix this error.

Anyways, yes, I got panic when I see the error message plus a sudden Windows 7 taskbar transparency turned into a Windows 98 greyed out taskbar, I do a System restore (I guess that remove the Windows updates), and then it back to normal, so system restore is a temperatory fix. But the thing is you know how Windows 7 keep force you to instal those "important" security updates from Microsoft (like the Security Monthly Quality Rollup), so if I instal it again, the error happen again.
I'm at the point where I'm scare to instal any Windows updates, but I know it needed for security.

Anyways, I been frying my brain, spend hours and hours online search Google on how to fix this error, and what I get was an 'Edit registry' way how to fix it. Which I'm scare to try this (mess with the registry) because I don't know anything about computer so I'm afraid if I edit the registry I won't be able to start my computer again.

I did further research and another way to fix this was: Get to Services. Find Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 and "disable" it.
I have not try this, but should I try it? It still better than edit the registry (which something I have no clue how to do).

Please Sir help me, how to fix this system error? I really love Windows 7 and this HP Pavilion, it been with me since 2011. Is this like a signal telling me my computer about to die soon, that it time for me to get a new computer now? The thing so weird is for the past 7 years I always installed those "important" Microsoft security updates, and NEVER see this system error, until now, until a week ago. So I don't really think it the Microsoft Security Monthly Quality Rollup caused it, it something else causing it. But why not happen earlier? But wait till 7 years later after I have this computer and now cause it?

Please help me Sir.

eta: And I'm sure it a system error, not a virus. I always have Norton and Norton do a very good job on live updates running in the background. Norton full scan show zero virus. Same with Eset online scanner, and Trend Micro Housecall online scanner, ALL show zero virus.
And if you Google search this error message, alot of other people have it, and it not virus related.
There just really isn't any way of really able to fix this error, it all temperatory fix, not permanent fix. And some fix ways works for others, and some not.

oh and answer Sir pcpunk question, I'm in the U.S. (I'm Chinese but living in the U.S.). Buy a Windows 10 computer it not a problem, it just I'm afraid this error will show again in Windows 10, as I do see theads of people who has Windows 10 and have this exact same error message.

Edited by ThankYouSir, 15 April 2018 - 10:05 AM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

You should absolutely put this in the Windows 7 Forum Section.  Copy Paste your text to your new Thread.  Use a good title like "Failed to connect to a windows service"

Good luck, I've never had this problem so won't comment.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users