Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should users of third-party AV disable WD 10 manually to avoid conflicts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

Hi all!

Lately, more and more users of Windows 10 have started to experience conflicts between their paid or free third-party AV and Windows Defender 10.

Ideally, if users install a paid or free third-party AV, then WD should automatically recognize it and disable itself, so as to not create any conflicts, except for the option to manually enable Limited Periodic Scanning, however, this is not always the case.

There is, of course, the recommendation to uninstall the third-party AV and automatically re-enable WD, but there are also users who actually want to keep their third-party AV, especially if it is a paid version and even more so if it is a subscription.

And hence, my question is as follows;

Should users of third-party AV disable WD 10 manually to avoid conflicts?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

This is a serious question:  Which 3rd party antivirus/security suite products are not disabling Windows Defender as part of their install process (and, conversely, re-enabling it if they are uninstalled)?

I have never run into a single antivirus/security suite product that doesn't do this.

There are some antimalware products that don't, but these are designed to run alongside Windows Defender and really target a different class of item than antivirus scanners do.

Even when its realtime scanning features are disabled, Windows Defender does remain available for manually triggered scans.

Edited by britechguy, 31 March 2018 - 09:13 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Hi again, britechguy!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

The point is not specifically which AV or security suite that does not automatically disable/enable WD upon install/uninstall, but to be absolutely sure WD also is permanently disabled if one disables the AV to install for example Malwarebytes, which recommends users to disable their AV while re-installing to avoid conflicts, for convenience reasons, because every new version of Malwarebytes now wants to re-install and now one even automatically gets the 14-day trial of the Premium version, without asking for it (I have the Free version, and have to manually deselect the trial upon re-installing).

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 31 March 2018 - 02:32 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,826 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

I am still at a loss as to why you would want to permanently disable Windows Defender in the scenario you present.  One can temporarily disable it to allow the install (which, by the way, I have never done or needed to do while installing Malwarebytes, and I ignore that proviso in all cases unless I have a problem installing, then I try again with WD temporarily disabled).

In any case, there are scads of tutorials out there on how to temporarily and permanently disable WD that turn up in any web search on same.  Here's a short but sweet one:  https://ccm.net/faq/45163-how-to-disable-windows-defender-in-windows-10

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 10 Anniversary update includes Limited Periodic Scanning which allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection. Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update, Windows Defender is called Windows Defender Antivirus and Microsoft has said it operates in different modes depending on whether it detects other anti-virus products or if you are using Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP)...see here.

When using a third party anti-virus solution, the state of Windows Defender is Automatic disabled mode. Organizations enrolled in Windows Defender ATP using a third party anti-virus solution, the state of Windows Defender is Passive mode as explained in Windows Defender Antivirus compatibility.

By default, Malwarebytes automatically decides whether or not to register itself with Windows Action Center settings based on your system. You can override this behavior in Malwarebytes > Settings > Application tab and choose to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Centre"

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Hi, britechguy & quietman7!

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

Of course, it is great that Microsoft by default provides Windows Defender 10 Antivirus to all users of their newest OS, so that they have a free built-in security solution which like third-party security solutions, consists of multi-layered protection modules against malware.

However, it is optional for users as to whether or not use it, and in the latter case rather choose third-party security solutions if they so wish, even if these are commercial and personally, I happen to belong to this latter kind of users.

Because, on my first, second and current computer I always used and continue to use third-party security solution(s), and right now I am using Emsisoft Anti-Malware (also a third-party security solution).

IOW, I have never really just relied on Microsoft's security solutions, and despite that I know the quality of their now-called Windows Defender Antivirus is steadily improving with every new major version of their newest OS, there is actually no chance whatsoever for me to change from a third-party security solution back to Microsoft's, and besides, I will continue to keep all my other third-party security programs mentioned in my signature.

And, after all, the reason why third-party security vendors exist and continue to do so, is that they specialize in their business.

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 01 April 2018 - 11:30 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:40 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,826 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

midimusicman,

The following is not meant to be snarky, but is sincere:  What issue has been solved?

The products you mention using, which are fine products and I am not in any way trying to dissuade you from using, do turn off Windows Defender (if necessary, some are now coming out with versions that work well alongside Windows Defender and just need to disable the realtime scanning component).

What I'm trying to understand is what triggered your question to begin with?  If one is installing a third party security suite/antivirus that does not work well alongside Windows Defender it has been conventional, for decades now, for that third party product to disable Windows Defender, permanently, so long as it is installed on the machine and to reenable it if one were to choose to uninstall it.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

Hi again, britechguy!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Sorry, I should not have included the last sentence, as I realize it is now too late to remove it, but anyway:

What triggered my question in the first place, was a statement by another BC user in another BC Forum, pertaining to the relationship between third-party AV, the automatically disabled WD 10 AV and Microsoft's unofficial role in the AV business as being educating users of third-party AV to get rid of it and thus to re-enable WD 10 AV. And, just for the record, in any case, I have already disabled WD 10 AV permanently with a .REG-file, but it would be nice to know for sure whether or not it is reasonable to do so, even though there is actually no chance for me to ever re-enable WD 10 AV again, as I like to be in full control of WD 10 AV all the time. And BTW, I have said that I do not directly disagree with the said BC user on the above-mentioned statement.

So with this information, could you now please answer my question in the topic headline?

Thank you! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 04 April 2018 - 02:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users