Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop suddenly won't power on

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cumputer

cumputer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:55 AM

So, recently i carried my laptop (Lenovo flex 4) from one location to another, carrying it in my backpack's padded laptop compartment.

Well, upon taking it out and trying to switch it on, not even the power light came on; it's entirely dead. I did not fall, trip or bump into something on my way, that pretty much i can assure. I also didn't spill liquid on it in between. Only thing is the chassis screws were removed while carrying it (just in case).

I tried resetting the power, by taking out the battery, unplugging the power cord, then pressing and holding the power button for a good minute, but the thing remains dead.

Oh, and i just tried it with a new oem power adapter, hasn't worked. The laptop ain't that old.

Seeing geek squad or something charges $75 for a diagnostic, i don't find it justified yet. What gives, how can the motherboard have failed simply from carryin the thing from a to b, or what could cause such a power glitch? I did not drop it.

If u happen not to know, where would be the cheapest for a laptop diagnostic, followed by diy? I basically just need to know if it's the motherboard, or something else.

Edited by cumputer, 31 March 2018 - 01:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:10 AM

Which OS?

Was it completely shut down or just hibernating?

When you say you removed the chassis screws  because of carrying it, can you go into a little more detail about that.

#3 cumputer

cumputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:23 AM

Which OS?

Was it completely shut down or just hibernating?

When you say you removed the chassis screws  because of carrying it, can you go into a little more detail about that.

Well, using win 10. It was hibernating, speaking of which the reason the screws were off was due to last time when it simply wouldn't boot up upon waking it up from sleep/hib, but the power led still blinked, unlike now in which even the power led's dead.

Btw, original power brick looked visibly torched by its prongs, hence got a new one, but is it possible that might've damaged the MB? Isn't there some grounding protection against such.

Edited by cumputer, 31 March 2018 - 04:54 AM.

#4 cumputer

cumputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

happen 2 know a computer forum that's more knowledgeable?

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:27 AM

happen 2 know a computer forum that's more knowledgeable?

not really.

However it sounds like there may be several hardware issues.

#6 cumputer

cumputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:44 AM

Well, a medal to you for simply answering. To others who just ogle a post then leave, you'd think a dead laptop would have at least one obvious culprit if not two on a computer forum? E.g motherboard, for crying out loud, me, an amateur could find some possible culprit, but without any feedback it doesn't help much.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

Here is your service manual.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_flex4_1470_1570_1435_1480_1580_hmm_201607.pdf

I have heard of some laptops not booting if the CMOS battery is bad. See page page 65 item 12. According to the service manual your model may or may not have it. This could be the problem or it could be something more serious which would require a good shop to diagnose.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CMOS-RTC-BATTERY-fits-Lenovo-Flex-4-1570-4-1580-Core-i5-i7-Flex-15-5B10L45935/222559620127?hash=item33d1964c1f:g:ZVcAAOSw65FXsWii

I have also read where this computer will not boot if the battery is discharged even if the adapter is attached. The battery goes through a trickle charge for at least 4 hours before the laptop will even attempt to boot. This is to protect the battery. Attach the power adapter overnight and see if the computer boots up.

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

Well, a medal to you for simply answering. To others who just ogle a post then leave, you'd think a dead laptop would have at least one obvious culprit if not two on a computer forum? E.g motherboard, for crying out loud, me, an amateur could find some possible culprit, but without any feedback it doesn't help much.

Its always hard to Diagnose a PC over the Net within Forums and depending on the Knowledge and Skills at the other end. , 

Thats why PC Repairs shops exists , we can tell you everything to try with the info you provide but that takes a long time to implement.

Otherwise best bet is to strip it down , test everything , reassemble , replace any faulty parts , and your good to go , thats what i do.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,748 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

To others who just ogle a post then leave, you'd think a dead laptop would have at least one obvious culprit if not two on a computer forum?

People are looking to see if they can help, if not they move on.  It's not that simple to diagnose a computer this way, you need to have advanced knowledge of electrical components, or at least know how to take it apart and test those components based on a Tutorial, or someone's help.

I think you answered your own question here:

Btw, original power brick looked visibly torched by its prongs, hence got a new one, but is it possible that might've damaged the MB? 

Yes it is, the Power Jack would be next to check, but the MB may be fried.  I would get a new one if it were me, unless you want to tear it apart and try to diagnose the problem. 

I've had MB's die on computers, and feel it is just not worth the labor to fix them.  If someone does this all day long and is good at it then that is another story.  But you may diagnose improperly and then end up buying parts that don't fix the issue.  Other than that, just try a few more things to see if you can get er going.

What do the Status Indicator Lights tell you, they are on Page 29 of the Manual Link John left you.  I'll insert it here if that helps.

WeN5iFe.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 cumputer

cumputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

Alright, thanks a lot for your help, now at least i know that i should focus on a repair shop.

#11 cumputer

cumputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

oh, o punk, there is no status light, the laptop won't power on at all, which seems strange to me, sine it was working just fine an hour before, and it was only carried in a laptop bag in between.

Also john_c, yea, that's what happened last time when it simply wouldn't boot up; it took some charging then it worked, but this time it won't even power on.

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:34 PM

Didnt see it mentioned ? leave the Battery out and plug in the Charger ...does it boot ?

#13 cumputer

cumputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

tried with battery out, still no.

how can them be die 'out of the blue', i did not bump into or trip over something. The laptop isn't that old, it was refurbished thou, but still for the mb to die this fast..

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,748 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:20 PM

I assume some are because of power surges.  We get these were I live all the time, and if you don't have a good surge protector then well, your SOL.  I have a few nice computers with dead MB's in my possession now.  Don't know if I will fix them or not yet as the MB is expensive and if not installed properly then all is wasted.  I hope you get yours working, but I think I would cut my losses and get a new one.  Unless you know a real good repair shop that will do the work well and not charge to much.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 cumputer

cumputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:34 AM

Well it seems diagnostics go for $65 up, that's before any repair. $65 just for my privilege to have their royal ases tell me a repair might be $300..

Then there's the thing about the motherboard, if it fails, what about it fails, unlike say a charger where it's an either or (is there current) question.

Edited by cumputer, 03 April 2018 - 01:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users