Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Bar Not Working ~ Post Windows Defender Def. 3/28 Update

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:16 AM

Hi team, I'm in a pickle and have exhausted my efforts to find a solution to the search bar not working since the Windows Defender definition 1.263.1737.0 update. Thank you in advance for taking a look at what's taking place. Here's the rundown, 

Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, Build 16299.309. ASUS laptop ROG G6VOX (Note, the latest build has not pushed through and I always elect to let those updates take place on their own)

This picture shows what is taking place:

searchnotworking.jpg

What I have done:

*System restore without success, received this error:

system_restore_7-58_pm.jpg

(Note: I turned off Windows Defender, did another system restore and received the same error.)

*Troubleshooting in Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot -> Searching and Indexing -> no problems were identified

*Task manager, Cortana [End Task] no success.

*Ran services.msc, Windows Search was running and set for automatic at startup.

*Ran sfc /scannow (the CBS log means nothing to me.) Here is the Command Prompt result:

sfc_scannow.jpg

*I found a directive from a Google Search which was working in powershell.exe...the list of options to select was so extensive, I exited quickly.

*I have shut down and restarted after the majority of the steps I've done.

I'm stuck and I sure appreciate any direction you can provide me!

Thank you,

Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:24 AM

I would run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth through cmd as admin now.

By the way softeyes I had no zero issues after manually updating to build 334. (selecting 'check for updates')

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:30 AM

Hi opera! Teach me, in cmd do I copy: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth? Thanks (Also...appreciate the 334 build info!)

Self Edit....doing so! It is running.

Edited by softeyes, 31 March 2018 - 12:36 AM.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:38 AM

Open cmd (you must run it as admin..right-click run as admin)

Copy and paste  DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Press enter and let it run ( have a coffee)

#5 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:40 AM

LOL....if I have a coffee...I'll not get my beauty sleep! It's poking along, in your experience, how long might this take?

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:53 AM

15 to 20 mins or so. At times it'll look as though it isn't running. Be connected to the internet.

If you have issues with getting cmd as admin because of you problem just press start.. scroll down to Windows System... click the little down arrow next to it and where you see command prompt just hold and drag it to your desktop.

Then you can just right-click on it and run as admin 

#7 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:55 AM

Done: the report says that the restore operation completed successfully. Search bar is still not functioning. 

#8 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:01 AM

I guess you have done a RESTART of your machine.

You have done quite a bit of good troubleshooting already (and must be tired !!) Perhaps have a sleep on it.

You can always do a refresh of your system where you keep your stuff but install Windows fresh at the same time if no other ideas work.

If you make another account as a test  (you can delete later) and boot into it does search work then?

#9 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:08 AM

Opera, I appreciate your direction this evening. You're spot on about it taking me a bit of time attempting to fix the problem (too bad I'm not getting paid by the hour!) I like your suggestion to create another account, sure can't hurt! This dilima will be waiting for me tomorrow. Thanks again.

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:10 AM

Sleep well !!

#11 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Hi, I turned on the laptop this morning, Search is still not functioning via “Cortana” search, or when I right click on the taskbar windows icon and select search.

Last step I did was to rebuild the search index, no success. Might you have any suggestions for another step to fix this problem?

New problem  :o 

Opera had encouraged me to create a new user account to see if that might help. I set up a new user as an administrator, this new user account is not showing up at the login screen? Talk about an added mystery.

I did a Google search hoping to find a solution, I found the following responses from 2 Microsoft forum entries:

I followed the directions below, however my value is set to “0”.

1) It looks like nobody ever answered this, but I found out it was a registry key by reading the top response in this TechNet question:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a60aba74-af52-470b-a3e2-564032e2a307/windows-10-user-accounts-not-showing-on-login-screen?forum=win10itprosecurity

Here's the answer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\dontdisplaylastusername

Change the value from "1" to "0",

Reboot computer <Moderator added this step>

logout and go to log back in and you should be good.

I didn't do the directive from this Microsoft Technet post, I do not have confidence “changing” registry settings, your thoughts about doing this registry change? Self Edit: [Removed link, I did not test it thus will not not endorse it]

Thank you so much.

Edited by softeyes, 01 April 2018 - 10:10 AM.

#12 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

Ignore post #11, for now topic can close.

After fussing around, I discovered that my administrative account needed a password. Once that was completed I did a restart and at the login screen the two user accounts were showing. I signed into the new user account and with joy, search worked! Great news. Next I signed out of the new user account, signed back into my master administrative account and search worked, incredible! As an added test, I deleted the new user account, did a restart and search continues to work in my master administrative account.

Opera, I'm so grateful for your directive to create a new user account. I have no clue what broke search in the first place, but with your tip the problem seems resolved. Thank you so much.

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:05 AM

softeyes I am so glad to hear all is well for you now :)

Computers are so strange sometimes !! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users