Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting WiFi Network Connection Order & Other WiFi Network Management

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

It's been a long time since I wanted or needed to do this, but it's come up again.

It seems to me that in earlier versions of Windows there was a dialog somewhere that supported this.  If you had WiFi networks Agate, Blueberry, and Capodimonte all set up and remembered, but you wanted to make it that you always connected to Capodimonte first, Agate second, and Blueberry third if all three were within broadcast range you could do it.

I've used WLAN10 (see: http://blog.bertware.net/2016/07/set-windows-network-priority-wlan10/) and it works fine, but I have to believe there's something, somewhere built into Windows 10 that is native that does this.  Is there?  It's clear that Network & Internet Settings, WiFi Pane, Manage known networks isn't it.

Also, is there any way to forget a network other than via the system tray, which will only show networks it can see?  I have scads of WiFi networks that I'll never use again, but getting rid of them, well . . .

Addendum: I have found that you can click on a network in the list presented in the settings noted above and you'll get a "Forget" option, but I cannot drag and drop them, or do anything else I can find, to reorder the preferred order of connection.

Edited by britechguy, 30 March 2018 - 09:14 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

Brian
Does any of this help?

To forget WiFi Networks
Open Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi > Manage known networks...
Sort or Filter if necessary then select the network you wish to forget and click forget.

Setting WiFi Network Connection Order
I found this little ditty performed through an elevated command prompt...
http://mywindowshub.com/how-to-change-priority-of-wireless-networks-in-windows-10/

Old Rocker

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,279 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:08 AM

Old Rocker,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.  As I noted in my addendum last night I did figure out how to forget networks in the native Win10 interface but appreciate the more specific explanation for others.

I am aware of the command prompt option for managing networks, and am perfectly capable of using it, but was just wondering whether anyone knew of a native Win10 GUI interface for doing so.  It seems insane to me that such does not exist, but I have had no luck finding it or anything about one.

The Wlan10 utility really is very nice for network management and I decided to use it again.  If anyone does happen to know of or find a way to do the same thing with a native component of Win10 in a GUI please do share.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:50 AM

Re-network connection priority

As far as I know selecting a connection and ticking connect automatically moves it to the top of the list and is always connected first as shown here

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/70415-change-wireless-network-connection-priority-order-windows-10-a.html

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,279 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

opera,

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.  What follows isn't aimed at you, but is a general observation.

Talk about a method that requires "going around Jake's barn" (as is said in the area I live in, meaning to go way out of the way) to accomplish something that should be simple!

What brought this all up is that I had configured any number of WiFi connections to "Connect Automatically" when I set them up because the locations for same are separated by relatively great distance.  But what I also did was to set up connecting to my cell phone acting as WiFi hotspot to "Connect Automatically" long after many of the other networks, so it's now higher on the list.  I accidentally forgot to turn off the hotspot on the phone after traveling and it turns out that three laptops in the household were using it (and not marked as metered) as their "first choice" even when in range of the DSL WiFi network that really should be the first choice.

I've pretty much accepted that Wlan10 is definitely the way to go when one wants to do "mass changes" to all the existing WiFi networks your computer knows about.  Most of us collect a list that's much longer than we think it is from connecting to public WiFi (even if password protected) during our travels with our laptops and the only way I've been presented with a fully comprehensive list that allows me to delete networks and rearrange order for all known networks is via Wlan10.  Microsoft really should make something akin to this in their native settings.  It's not the first time nor the last that I'll have need to do this and I'm quite sure I'm not alone, either.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users