Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file size expands >2000x based on "what's printing" window

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

<apology: I might have found the answer - something about "raster data" in the file. As a result, I wanted to delete my posting but then realized that I could not delete it>

Is it normal that a PDF file, 1.26 MB (physical size), expands to 3.23 GB (size for a printer??), when sent to a remote wired printer ?

Details:

A document (PDF) was downloaded from the internet at the company. The PDF was opened by SumatraPDF.

After reading it through, I decided to send the file through ethernet to a company's wired printer. Immediately after I clicked "print", the computer kinda "froze". It took close to a minute (or maybe more?) to unfreeze. This was when I (was able to) click(ed) on the printer device, attempting to track the progress of the printing job. To my surprise, I found in the new printer window that my file now had a size of 3.23 GB. What's happening ??

Edited by seraphin, 30 March 2018 - 06:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

No need to apologize, the answer may help someone noticing the same thing in the future. The topic will simply move away from the top of the listing as other topics get posted.

When a file is prepared for printing, the data at the printer resolution, e.g. 600DPI or 1200DPI is huge in comparison to the data stored in the original file. Especially when an original graphic is a vector file, which just stores drawing instructions, so for geometric graphics like logos etc can be quite small. When the image is created by the rasterization process (converted to a pixel image or raster), the resultant amount of data is relatively massive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users