Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Freezes in Certain Games

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dalex8

Dalex8

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:59 PM

I've had an issue for around a year now where my PC will completely freeze when playing certain games, only way to get out of it is a hard reboot.

The games it's most noticeable are CS:GO and Natural Selection 2. I've also had crashes in 7 Days to Die, Vermintide 2 & Assassins Creed Origins. However I've never had crashes in other games such as Killing Floor 2, Supreme Commander, PUBG & ARK

I've tried reinstalling Windows, updating all of my drivers, Windows Driver Verification, stress tests, memtests etc. I have been unable to find a way to replicate the crashes, it could happen 3 times in a day or not at all for a week so trying to figure out the trigger/triggers is very difficult. Due to the type of crashing (no error logs) I'm thinking it's driver related.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro

I7 6700k

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence

GTX 970

500GB SSD

If anyone has any ideas it will be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

i would start by removing your GPU and cleaning all the dust off the fan and heatsink

do the same to the CPU while your in there

Edited by mikey11, 30 March 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#3 Dalex8

Dalex8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:48 PM

There's very little dust inside my PC. And if it were a heating issue I would be able to replicate this issue in other games and stress tests. Since it's such an inconsistent crash, as I've described, I'm highly doubting it's hardware related.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

I'm highly doubting it's hardware related.

I'm not.....

but hey, you seem to know best.....so carry on

#5 Dalex8

Dalex8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

Then explain to me how it could be hardware related? I'll stand by everything I've said unless someone proves otherwise. It doesn't crash consistently and only in certain games. If it were a hardware issue I should be able to replicate it.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Then explain to me how it could be hardware related?

your GPU or CPU could be overheating,

you HAVE replicated the problem, it's happened more then once hasn't it?

overheating CAN BE intermittent

#7 Dalex8

Dalex8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

When I say I can't replicate it, I mean I cannot make the crash happen outside of these games. And if it were a overheating issue, stress tests would cause my system to freeze as well.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

And if it were a overheating issue, stress tests would cause my system to freeze as well.

no....not nessessarily,

despite all your babbling i can't figure out why you wouldn't at least want to try my suggestion.....it should be done as regular maintanance anyway....

you come here asking for advice, but you don't even want to bother trying or following the advice given.....so why bother asking in the first place?

:deadhorse:

Edited by mikey11, 30 March 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#9 Dalex8

Dalex8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

My first response to your suggestion was "There's very little dust inside my PC"... I'll clean it out now and then, and I have dust covers on all of my fans which helps keep it out.

#10 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

My first response to your suggestion was "There's very little dust inside my PC"

your just assuming that......

you cant even see the dust in the heat sink of the GPU unless you remove the card AND remove the GPU fan(s)....when is the last time you did that?

#11 AlikDiana

AlikDiana

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:42 AM

It is a hot topic in GeForce forum, and you I think this link may helps: https://windows10skill.com/fix-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops-after-creators-update/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users