Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to know how to properly install upgrades

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mumydrest

mumydrest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

First of all let me say that I am not a Mac person. I am very familiar with a PC.  I have a an iMac8 which belongs to my mother running Os X 10.6.8. I have the original gray install discs ( Mac OS X 10.5.2 ) that came with it. It also has Microsoft Office Suite 2011 and Adobe Creative Suite 8 installed of which I have both programs.  The only thing I care about in CS is Photoshop. It has Deep Freeze installed. Some years ago she allowed a college student to work on it to clean it up because it was running slowly. Not only did this student wipe the drive he also kept the external drive that our back up was on. This tech locked Deep Freeze ( 2 GB space ) so no one is able to look to see whats in it. Preferences tells me that the System is the owner.  I'm not able to save anything new. If I shut down everything is gone when I start it back up. I need to get rid of Deep Freeze completely (don't need it) and reinstall OS x. 

I know that I am able to upgrade this as far as El Capitan. Problem is Im confused about exactly which updates to apply first. Unsure if the Combo updates are all I need. There are so many of them it's mind boggling to me. I also would like to know if I can download them to a USB drive and install them from it.

I plan on upgrading the ram to 4 GB currently at 2 GB. I also would like to know if I could use my 1 TB My Passport USB drive to back it up with Time Machine. I know this is a lot to ask but I really could use the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

You should have the App Store installed. You can download El Capitan from there and upgrade. You can save the upgrade to a USB drive or just upgrade from the installer that is downloaded.

You should be able to save Time Machine backups to the My Passport. It will reformat the drive, so you'd lose whatever is saved to it now.

#3 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

^^  Agreed. I had 10.6.8 on my iMac and after checking with Apple Support I installed El Capitan right over top of it without having to download each separate update. Here's the link I used:

https://support.apple.com/explore/new-to-mac

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#4 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

10.6.8 is snow leopard. pretty outdated. sort of like running windows XP perhaps on the PC. (very fast though one of my favorite versions of the Mac OS but dated these days).. 

I had 10.6.8 on my older imac, I upgraded to El Capitan from the app store. works fine. install/upgrade is pretty easy. Not sure about whether photoshop will work or not. you can check adobe's site to find out about that perhaps? 

Im not sure if El Capitan works with 2GB of ram or not, so you may want to upgrade that first before trying it.

Edited by macuser, 25 April 2018 - 07:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users