Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help building an old but reliable pc

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ok3

Ok3

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

Hi im new to this forum, i came to this fórum in hope somebody could help me gather the ríght parts for a asus p8H61-M LX3 plus LGA 1155 motherboard. By parts i mean all it Needs to form a funcional pc. I live in usa territory so no issues there. Now the motherboard already has a processor Celeron G530 with an Intel heatsink and fan. I have no idea which components and case whould work really well with this mobo. Im currently typing this with an iPad so sorry for inconvenience. I cant even put links or anything sorry. Well for the computer that i wanna build the focus is reliability, good cooling, case and a good psu, seeing as i already have a mobo and processor. I just wanna have a stable pc that i could leave turned on overnight or a day with no problem. Budget is about 300 if the parts are good perfomance wise i may go over it. I Also would like a speedy ssd for gaming. Btw i have a visiontek Radeon HD 5750 gpu that i could use it on this mobo if it would work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

that motherboard should fit in any generic case.....there are hundreds of them out there, so its really just personal preference there....style, color, size, etc

you already also have a GPU.....so now you would need....

- Ram

- power supply

- hard drive

- Cd drive (optional)

#3 Ok3

Ok3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

Apréciate the help, i just never build a pc before, heck i been without a working one for a long time, so im kinda cautious and dont want to make a mistake buying something rather weak or incompatible. Regarding the case i get you but some cases from what ive watched in YouTube dont have aprópiate build for good cooling.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

what type of cooling are you wanting?

#5 Ok3

Ok3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

I would say air cooling, but honesty if there are better type of cooling for a mostly tropical weather with some high temperatures from time to time(no air conditioner) i would take it. And thats what i wonder what good cooling would help for the pc to stay on for the days i need it to be turned on a whole day.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

I would say air cooling, but honesty if there are better type of cooling for a mostly tropical weather with some high temperatures from time to time(no air conditioner) i would take it. And thats what i wonder what good cooling would help for the pc to stay on for the days i need it to be turned on a whole day.

air cooling is normally fine for the type of computer you are wanting to build,

just get a good sized cabinet/case.....dont get a small one, so there is lots of room for airflow,

most decent sized cases come with at least 3-4 fans pre-installed

#7 Ok3

Ok3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

Ah i see so a big case would be the way to go, ill look for that.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

I am guessing you would want to have a case that supports a optical bay right?

well there is this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352075

Very good and if you want USB2 compatibility so you wont lose out on the second USB port on the top there are adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-3-0-2-0-Internal-Cable/dp/B009BBD3V2

since your motherboard doesnt support USB 3 and i am sure you want to have both USB ports on top to be free to use.

The focus G is a pretty good budget case

Alternatives are:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139057

The 100R is another good case

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIABFS59N8274

The Spec 03

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133272

The Thermaltake Core V31

And for something low priced but very good:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147253

Since you mentioned you are not that familiar with computer building these cases should fit you, all are easy to work with.

I would not go too cheap on the case as you said you had airflow concerns, a lot of cheap cases have sharp edges inside and sometimes por airflow and poor compatibility with large graphics cards.

I say for what its worth i would get the last one i listed, the Rosewill Tyrfing.

Sure it doesnt have replaceable PCI slot covers but it makes up for it with a nice removable PSU dust filter, a nice feature for a case at that price point.

For a power supply, well definitely not going to cheap out there, if its one part to never cheap out on its the power supply.

Cheap power supplies tend to explode, or crap out and kill entire systems.

This here should have enough power for you:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

Or this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014

The only bad thing about the EVGA is that it will be a cable octopus but fully modular power supplies tend to be very pricey

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 March 2018 - 10:59 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 Ok3

Ok3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

Yeah the focus G seems good for the needed space and cooling and the tyrfing as well, i like those two. Damn I dint know about the usb 3 being unusable because of the motherboard nice to know.

Nice list excellent choices and not too expensive.

I second that about a cheap psu being bad my dead pc after a power surge started transmiting electricity all over the metal part of the case, that psu was most likely cheap since it was store bought.

Overall i now know more of what parts to buy and what to look for. Thanks for the help guys.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

Yeah i mainly picked out the cases as you were unspeciffic on what you are looking at in terms of cases, if optical drives are not important i got a list for that too.

Optical drive support or not there are options where the case is concerned.

But yeah your motherboard is a bit old and i saw no USB3 support on it so i also picked things out what i thought may suit you.

Out of curiosity how much are you willing to go for the case?

You said 300 was your limit so i did start low based on that.

As i have no idea if you have storage drives or the like hanging around.

You got a processor and a GPU so you got a good start.

Need ram?

Thats another factor to consider.

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 March 2018 - 05:24 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 Ok3

Ok3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

Yeah i mainly picked out the cases as you were unspeciffic on what you are looking at in terms of cases, if optical drives are not important i got a list for that too.
Optical drive support or not there are options where the case is concerned.
But yeah your motherboard is a bit old and i saw no USB3 support on it so i also picked things out what i thought may suit you.
Out of curiosity how much are you willing to go for the case?
You said 300 was your limit so i did start low based on that.
As i have no idea if you have storage drives or the like hanging around.
You got a processor and a GPU so you got a good start.
Need ram?
Thats another factor to consider.

Hey man, ill say about 50 just because the focus g is around that price and has everything I need for this pc, like places for a lot of fans. However I just realized I dont know if my mobo supports lots of fans that I would like. I mean I read about header splitter, controller hub and fan controller but I cant seem to find anything that says that this mobo supports this types of fan extension or if it supports PWM which is used for what I believe is for rpm speed control of the fan.

About optical drive I dont know. I found a dvd writter from old scraps if that does the job then i guess i dont need one. The most I would do is just write on it/save/burn on cds.

Yeah 300 and maybe a bit more if the part is worth it like the psus you showed me. Cant afford to cheap out on that as I want a reliable pc. Thats why im looking into fan set up and stuff to add later on as i dont wanna spend too much right now.

I actually do have two storage drives which im hoping to test out once I build this pc. I did say i want a ssd, only because I like to game from time to time. As for ram I found some too, two 2gb DDR3 same brand but theyre from the pc that died from power outage and transmits electricity all over the case when plugging the psu, so they may be as good as dead.

About $100 case+psu, so I guess whats left is ssd and ram.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

Yeah it looks like you're going to need some sort of pwm splitter as it looks like the motherboard only supports the CPU Cooler quick typical of old budget motherboards like this. And yeah it might be a good idea to invest in the new Ram just in case

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 Ok3

Ok3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:49 PM

Yeah man this motherboard is outdated quite a bit I may as well just use it for light stuff nothing too heavy. I want it to last and not get damaged by heat or anything. I read something around the lines that splitters could damage the header if it has like more than two fans running so Im not too sure about them. I wanted atleast 4 fans but if it cant handle it I may just build a stronger pc later on and have this one for less heavy task.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:02 PM

Well if the motherboard only has one header and you are fearful of a splitter, I guess you could get a Molex to PWM adapter.

I mean the PSU I suggested does come with Molex you could do that

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9F943Y0331&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Cables+-+Printer+%28Parallel%29+Cables-_-9SIA9F943Y0331&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhoLWBRD9ARIsADIRaxRP89r2opX_62L7hmsZbWh6zl384k8DC5ITVlA-YSTGrm56c7yoqrMaAmRBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It wont offer you the ability to control the speed of your fans but at least it will get them working

or you could get this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA57F6WD5587&cm_re=pci_fan_controller-_-9SIA57F6WD5587-_-Product

or even this

https://www.amazon.com/Evercool-Twister-Speed-Controller-Slot/dp/B009D3O4DE

and this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LN3YJPO/ref=psdc_11036291_t3_B009D3O4DE

Choices are a bit limited here sadly

Edited by MadmanRB, 01 April 2018 - 08:06 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 Ok3

Ok3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:32 PM

Wow those are great, so does this mean I can connect one of them directly to psu molex for it to work fine? Btw I just found the manual of this mobo online and it shows the header pins to be 4 and so is something called the chasis aewell having 4 pins. Does this mean this mobo could use pwm? I really like that fan speed controller I may just get it if is a simple as connecting it to the psu for it to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users