Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Account - Can't Change Primary Alias

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to change the primary alias in my Microsoft Account to another alias that already exists in my account.  Each time I try I get this error:

We were unable to make <NewAlias>@outlook.com your primary alias.  Please try again later.

I have tried using different web browsers, clearing cache and cookies etc. but the issue still persists.  I have been trying to do this for over a year and get the same error.  Therefore, the problem appears to be server side.

Has anyone else experienced this?  How can this be resolved?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

If the instructions below are what you are following then any error would be a problem only Microsoft can solve.

Change which alias is primary

Your primary alias appears on devices, such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email address that OneDrive sends from when you share things like photos or documents. You can change your primary alias up to twice a week. You can include your work or school email address as an alias, but it cannot be made the primary alias.

1. Sign in to the Microsoft account website.

2. Select Your info.

3. Select Manage how you sign in to Microsoft.

4. Select Make primary next to the alias you want as your primary. 

5ljVkef.png

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for your reply.  I followed the same instructions as you posted but got the error when clicking on "Make primary".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users