Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek PCIe GBE controller intermittently working...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MrSparrow

MrSparrow

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

Hi! newbie here. After reading so many posts and trying all those fixes, which didn't work, I'm posting my problem here and hoping that some expert here may have a concrete solution for my weird NIC disappearing issue.

The problem is my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is completely out of my control.
My system configuration - Windows 7 x64bit, Gigabyte motherboard, Intel cpu, 8 GB RAM, onboard gpu, onboard LAN.
After a clean windows installation and then everything running good for few days, suddenly the internet connection is lost and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller goes missing.
I go to the device manager and there I see 'Network Adapter' is entirely missing there. Then I check right side More Actions > View > Show Hidden Devices, and there I find the Network adapter but upon right clicking there's no options available. And if I expand it further there are all those WAN Miniports but no Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

Screenshot below-

4ta8up.jpg

No Realtek PCie GBE Family Controller there, a familiar nightmare for me nowadays.

What I've tried so far-

1. Trying to uninstall/install or disable/enable network adapter.
Wait! That's not possible because my entire Realtek PCIe GBI controller is missing and NIC has no right click options under device manager.

2. Tried updating new version of Realtek LAN driver.
That's too not possible because it can not even find the Realtek PCIe GBI controller. So there's an error message popping up everytime I tried to do so.

3. Tried to change the Network adapter setting from Network And Sharing center. But there is no 'Local Area Connection' present as you can guess. It's completely a blank window folder. Troubleshoot says it can't detect Network Adapter.

4. Rebooted and reset the router.
Yes! Network Adapter menus, Realtek controller is back again, but not for long. Within few hours it's gone again and I'm back with no internet connection.
Bytheway, this trick worked only the first time, next time there's no charm left.

5. Remove the power lines from cabinet and router and connect those next day.
Ok, here's the fun part. Sometimes, remember not always, one or two times happened this, that I get back the Realtek PCIe GBI controller under device manager but then so after I switched on the router NIC is gone missing again! Not for a second the internet connection established there.

6. Format and re-install windows 7!
Did that (couple of time already), worked just for 1 or 2 days max, then again back to the same space. NIC missing, tray network monitor like icon is red crossed.
One thing, before my NIC would go missing again I removed the tick from 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option and saved. But that didn't save me!

7. Pull out the CMOS, RAM sticks, wait for few hours.

OK! NIC is back. Hoped that finally my problem is resolved.
Shoot me please - NIC is gone after a day.

Now you may think my wireless D-link router is faulty, but this entire time I can access my internet through my wireless router in my phone but not in my desktop which is connected to router via RJ45 cable.
Try another WAN port in router? Yes but the the result is same, no NIC.

Maybe the RJ45 cable is faulty then!?

Changed that too, but that didn't make NIC coming back from vacation.

If you're thinking some router configuration error then here is the settings from ipconfig-

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FC-AA-12-15-63-47
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::15c:78d1:c9ed:de3e%11(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 23, 2018 7:42:44 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 24, 2018 7:42:44 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251236576
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-44-31-16-1C-FC-AA-16-17-75-37

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{7898FB4B-D532-4881-A972-160451A3D03E}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

BIOS is up to date. Router is ok.
System is just 3 and half years old and router is 2 years old. System working fine except Network adapter.
No VPN software or any other network related software installed. Antivirus Avast free. On installed softwares- just some basic pdf reader, media player, dvd writer etc.
Computer is used basically for studying and a little bit of gaming (everything on cryogenic sleep now) and there is no additional GPU installed, only the onborad default one there.

Then why the hell my NIC is acting this weirdly lately??? For the last 3 years and so it's perfectly working fine as it should be and then suddenly this started to happen to my computer.
Do anyone here have any theory, explanation or SOLUTION (you're a rockstar if you've one) on this weird NIC problem??

Urgent need of HELP!! PLEASE!!! Anyone?? :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

If I had to hazard a guess from your post the NIC chipset on the motherboard is failing. You an either get a NIC card or if your the MB has USB 3.0, a USB 3.0 adapter similar to the one below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-10-100-1000-Mbps-Gigabit-RJ45-Ethernet-LAN-Network-Adapter-For-PC-Mac-/152813947022?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

Resetting TCP/IP may help but I doubt it.

Open an elevated command prompt. CMD in the search box > Right click Run as Administrator. Type the following

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

reboot

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 March 2018 - 10:15 AM.

#3 MrSparrow

MrSparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

If I had to hazard a guess from your post the NIC chipset on the motherboard is failing. You an either get a NIC card or if your the MB has USB 3.0, a USB 3.0 adapter similar to the one below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-10-100-1000-Mbps-Gigabit-RJ45-Ethernet-LAN-Network-Adapter-For-PC-Mac-/152813947022?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

Resetting TCP/IP may help but I doubt it.

Open an elevated command prompt. CMD in the search box > Right click Run as Administrator. Type the following

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

reboot

This one slipped me I think. But I will give it a shot.
I'm just trying to be sure here that my onboard LAN is the troublemaker before I disable it and replace it.

The thing that it's coming back after a clean win 7 reinstall or the time I'm resetting router or even when not trying to connect internet for few days, it's coming back again under device manager, making me think that something - some settings or other thing maybe messing it up. Just trying to be free from all the doubts!

Thanks for replying and the suggestions. :thumbsup2:

I will try to buy a card. I heard that wireless adapter gives slightly lesser speed than wired cable connection to desktop. Not sure though!

#4 MrSparrow

MrSparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

If anyone else have any theory or solution, PLEASE don't be shy to help out!! :mellow:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

You can verify if this is a Windows or Hardware problem by downloading and booting a live linux distro.

Download Mint Cinnamon and burn the iso file to a DVD.

Boot but do not enter anything until you are at the desktop. See if you get the same intermittent issues when online.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

#6 MrSparrow

MrSparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

Hi JohnC. I check the page you suggested. The LinuxMint is an excellent idea. But, if I understand it properly, in that case I have to install a new OS on my harddrive. So will it not mess up any of the existing win 7 settings later?

Is there any Linux portable version where I dont have to install it but can run from pendrive or drisk drive??

I have one more question.

I was surfing and I came across some posts which says that if you are actively using your net connection two ways means through wired in desktop and also same time wirelessly in phone or others, one may be suffer from network issues and shut down. It's not much clear to me either so I may not be able to describe it properly. But do you understand and know anything related to this??

Thank you!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

Sorry, I missed your post. No, linux does not install on the hard drive. You let it boot and it runs from RAM and the DVD. It will only install if you click the install icon on the desktop. 

I have one more question.

I was surfing and I came across some posts which says that if you are actively using your net connection two ways means through wired in desktop and also same time wirelessly in phone or others, one may be suffer from network issues and shut down. It's not much clear to me either so I may not be able to describe it properly. But do you understand and know anything related to this??

I have never heard of this. I run wired and wireless with multiple devices at the same time with no problem.

#8 MrSparrow

MrSparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

HI! I'll try the LinuxMint then. Thanks for all the infos.
My net is working now. Just reinstalled os after clearing cmos. Only thing I left to install this time is the realtek audio. Read somewhere that it also may cause issues with realtek lan. So just observing few days without the sound :mellow:

Thanks again for replying :thumbsup2:

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

Your Welcome, and glad you are back up and running.

You can download the Realtek HD audio driver here.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

To prevent another reinstall in the future I would recommend you create a complete disk image to a USB external drive using any of the following programs. Each lets you create a bootable USB/CD should the computer no longer boot due to a failed hard drive or file system corruption. For a failed drive you replace the drive, boot the recover media, attach the USB external and restore the image. No formatting and partitioning required. This lets you be back up in minutes vs hours doing clean install, reinstalling all your programs, and updates. Make disk images based on how many Window updates have been installed. 

Easeus and Aomei also allow for file/folder backups, both incremental and differential with Easeus being the most intuitive.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

#10 MrSparrow

MrSparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:47 AM

HI! I checked all those pages. Really didn't know about them. Thanks for the gracious suggestions.
I still didn't understand couple of options there. Much to learn. :workout: 
I just have one think to ask- if someday I buy a laptop (I hope!) then can I make a win os disk, for reinstalling purposes, with any of these softwares but without installing them in harddrive. I'm just asking if I can run them from usb? Didn't find it in there software description! Thanks again! :thumbup2:

I will try one of them in my desktop for now after I solve the router portforward issue! :(

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

HI! I checked all those pages. Really didn't know about them. Thanks for the gracious suggestions.
I still didn't understand couple of options there. Much to learn. :workout: 
I just have one think to ask- if someday I buy a laptop (I hope!) then can I make a win os disk, for reinstalling purposes, with any of these softwares but without installing them in harddrive. I'm just asking if I can run them from usb? Didn't find it in there software description! Thanks again! :thumbup2:

I will try one of them in my desktop for now after I solve the router portforward issue! :(

Yes, the purpose of the software is allow you to backup your OS as an image to an external USB hard drive. The software will let you create a bootable disk or USB flash drive. For instance, if the hard drive failed you would install a new drive, boot the CD or USB of the image software, and recover the image of the OS you created and backed up to the USB external drive. You would not need to partition and format the drive. It would be automatic. After the image is restored all your OS with all your programs and settings would be intact saving you hours of work. You can create multiple backup images to the external drive. Aomei and Easeus also allow you to backup files in addition to disk images. You can search youtube for how the software is used.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2018 - 07:57 AM.

#12 MrSparrow

MrSparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

Really sorry for this kind of late response!! I was not well enough for last few weeks!

So I downloaded the Linux Mint from their official website. I will try this first and then I will try the other things you suggested.

Your advises are really helpful and thanks a lot for sharing. As a novice I don't know much of these things but I am reading a lot and learning slowly but steadily :lol:

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. It really helps! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users