Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

small space and budget

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nealc

nealc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

Hi Everyone,

First post here..  I'm glad to have found this forum..  

Laptop or Desktop?

Not sure.  we have a very small space that we live in, so we're considering a laptop, All-in-one, or small-factor PC.  would be good to have something without too many cables.  how do these 3 options stack up in terms of "bang for the buck?"  Although we have a laptop, we  rarely move it and run it off the battery.  

My budget for the new computer is: 

300-400.  

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

email, browsing, teaching kids to program.  don't want to pay for extra gaming power (our games are flight simulator and kerbal)

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 

have an Office HUP, chrome, youtube, occasional streaming movies

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 

low-powered games like flight simulator.  

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 

sometimes there will be office and chrome - while it's nice if they can both be running, don't mind closing office docs after we're done.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

no.  these go to e.g. dropbox or google photos

Will you be overclocking?

if it's an easy option in the bios itself, but not any kind of "hardware" mods itself

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

California

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?

If it's an small form factor, we'd need a monitor and keyboard.  If there's a cheap 21:9 that would be cool -- not required though. 

Windows - though I use Linux extensively at work my fam does not really.  they might be open to trying Mint as a dual boot.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

old laptop is very slow even after several resets etc.

Thanks for your help and opinions!!

Edited by nealc, 30 March 2018 - 09:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

Ain't going to get much for $300. to $400.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

Are you willing to build your own?

That may be a good option for you as you can get something basic yet powerful for around your budget.

Mind you it may be a little higher as right now RAM prices are a bit high but it can be done.

Plenty of small form factor cases out there and one can hook it up to a TV or whatever if space is limited.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#4 nealc

nealc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

Yes I could build my own - i doubt it would be a complicated build.  I built a full tower a couple of years ago - I ended up spending more than I originally budgeted for, but I got a decent machine.  So if building can get a better machine than buying at this pricepoint, I'd be interested. Do you have any suggestions on case/motherboard/drive/memory?  What is the most inexpensive (but not crappy) 21:9 you've seen?

(Btw Joe C I'd recommend looking at any website, even costco, there's a lot of machines at this price point https://goo.gl/Wmb5hK)

Thanks

Edited by nealc, 01 April 2018 - 11:52 AM.

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

(Btw Joe C I'd recommend looking at any website, even costco, there's a lot of machines at this price point https://goo.gl/Wmb5hK)

Thanks

There is one with a Ryzen 5 cpu but it is $399.99 plus 14.95 ship plus whatever the tax plus a $60. membership fee. That's almost $500. when all is said and done

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:11 PM

Indeed, and with GPU prices and RAM prices being so high right now its probably best to wait a bit before buying either pre built or build your own.

The market is not that friendly to those on tight budgets right now

I would just save up more money and not blindly jump into a new build or machine, this year is so far very unfriendly to those wanting a new machine

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 April 2018 - 02:13 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users