Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From DNS server issues to not starting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pdoff

pdoff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:00 AM

Hi,
My friend has had issues with wifi connections on and off since upgrading to Windows 10.

I was able to fix this for her by changing her IPv6 settings to a set internal IP and DNS etc. Then the problem happened again and i switched it back to detect automatically which worked. And then, after a while, it happened again etc

I THINK the last settings we inputted and were not detecting automatically.

Anyway, the same issue arose last night and I was trying to talk her through changing the settings via messages and phonecall but was having difficulty, so when i came across instructions to run via command prompt, i thought that might be easier to instruct. So she did that, but since then the laptop won't respond. She said it was shutting itself down, but don't know if she had instigated that as per instructions. I asked her to try and force shutdown but she said it still wasn't working but i don't know if she managed to get it to shut down.

I'm thinking that Windows has cr@pped itself because DNS settings were wiped yet option to detect automatically wasn't selected? Is there anything I can do? I won't get a chance to look at it until later. See pics attached

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:15 AM

As the error says....blah bl;ah....wjhile its media is disconnected..."

Has anything been disconnected in the process of carrying out your instructions  ?

Can she simply unplug the router/modem....wait a minute or two.....and then plug it back in ?...in other words reboot it ...

Please note , networking/internet dramas are not my 'thing'...so my advice will be of the simple kind....

edit : spelling

Edited by Condobloke, 30 March 2018 - 03:16 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 pdoff

pdoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:29 AM

Nothing disconnected. But i think that's a common error for the DNS issue. I googled it and it seemed to have been the same thing.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

Please download and install Farbar Service Scanner.  The download will begin immediately after clicking on the link.

When FSS opens you will see an image like the one below.  

ki5z3eX.png

Place checks in all of the boxes and then click on Scan.

When the Scan is complete a log similar to the one below will open.  Copy and then paste this in your topic.

ANXyIjJ.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 pdoff

pdoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for that. I'm going to pick the laptop up now. Thing is I'm not sure I'll get as far as to turn it on!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:56 AM

I would suggest doing a Refresh using the Windows 10 installation media. 

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Edited by dc3, 30 March 2018 - 07:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 pdoff

pdoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

Ok, so not anywhere near as bad as I had feared, but i was right about the settings being wiped with the ipv4 not being found automatically.

It was very slow though and I noticed disk was showing at 99% in task manager. We had the same issue at work with pcs in use 24hrs a day and nothing seemed to fix it (bar a whole system overhaul) but surely this is unusual in a home laptop? Used for study related assignments mostly.

Any thoughts on what actually fixes this? I'll get spec details soon hopefully.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

What version of Windows 10 do you have presently? 

To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver then press Enter.

#9 techiegeek12

techiegeek12

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:51 PM

n Microsoft Windows, you can flush the local DNS cache using the ipconfig /flushdns command in a Command Prompt. You know it works when you see the Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache or Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache message

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users