Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlet Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adams369

Adams369

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:01 AM

Can I plug a portable outlet with a couple of usb ports and outlets into a wall socket that already is GFCI with it's own breaker on it if the portable device is capable or has the same surge protector functionality. So basically canI plug a surge protector into another device with that capability 

thank you 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:18 AM

You're describing two different functions. Surge protection isn't the same thing as a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter or Residual Current Detector.

There's no inherent reason why you would not be able to plug a power board with surge protection into an outlet that has a GFCI capability. GFCI will shut off the power if the current flow is not the same in Active and Neutral (usually 30mA difference as this is considered the threshold current for potential electrocution for a human). Surge protection absorbs voltage spikes above a threshold that could damage devices connected to the mains.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Adams369

Adams369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:48 AM

Awesome thank you for clearing that up for me. My home is old so I like to utilize as much outlet resources as I can. And knowing this will help. 

Thank You Again 

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:59 AM

You're welcome. As always with extension outlets, don't overload with high consumption items like heaters.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Also, keeping items that are common to a system together on the same outlet or surge protector strip helps to eliminate the occurance of a ground loop.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

I always recommend buying a UPS, they are fairly inexpensive.  They all give you multiple protected sockets, they cut the risks of power problems by a very large margin.  The money you have spent on a system will be well protected.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users