Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Windows 10 BSOD Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 firepoi

firepoi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

Windows has been trying to upgrade from version 15063 to 16299.  Every time it goes through the download process and restarts.  Once it restarts it gets to around 30% and I get a BSOD Memory Management Error.

I have: 

Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

Updated my BIOS

Used sfc/scannow

Made sure my laptop was set to High Performance

Updated all my drivers

Done these things and at least once a day my laptop will start to download the new version, restart, BSOD and then reinstall the previous version of windows.

Looking for any and all suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:26 PM

Have you tried doing a repair install? Make sure to run it as "administrator"   

Edited by Mason21, 29 March 2018 - 11:27 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Please post the exact memory error message you received.

Rather than doing a fresh installation of Windows 10 where you will have to also reinstall all of your saved data plus all of the third party programs you installed I would do a Reset. 

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

O7p5cKL.png

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

VoWZmo6.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Edited by dc3, 30 March 2018 - 10:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 firepoi

firepoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

The first suggested installation did not seem to work.  

The exact error message I get is "Memory Management"

Not sure I am ready to do a reset of the operating system and have to reinstall all of my programs

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

I have one last suggestion since you are not willing to do what really should be done.

Download the ISO file and install it.

Download Windows 10 Build 16299.15 (RTM) ISO files [Direct links]

I wish you good luck

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 423 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

Ok. You can try these steps listed in this article... https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/memory-management-blue-screen-of-death-on-windows-10-solved/

#7 techiegeek12

techiegeek12

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

In the search box on the taskbar, type View installed updates, and then select View installed updates.

Expand the window to see the installation date, and then select the update that you want to uninstall.
Select Uninstall.

If uninstalling an update fixes the stop error, temporarily block the update from automatically installing again.

You can also try the following:

Scan device performance and health

Windows Defender periodically scans your device for potential problems. To see the results of the most recent scan, type “Windows Defender” on the search bar and select Windows Defender Security Center. Select Device performance & health. If there are problems with your device’s update history or drivers, they’re displayed here.

For more information, see the following support article: Track your device and performance health in Windows Defender.

Run Windows Defender Offline

Windows Defender Offline scans your PC for malware. For more information, see the following support article: Help protect my PC with Windows Defender Offline.

Remove software

Remove recently installed or unnecessary software (for example, antivirus software from companies other than Microsoft) and see if that resolves the problem.

Select the Start button, then select Settings > System > Apps & features. Select Sort by name and change it to Sort by install date. Select a recently installed app you want to remove, and then select Uninstall.

Remove external hardware

Unplug unnecessary external hardware (printers, webcams, additional monitors, etc.) before upgrading.

Turn fast startup on or off

Sometimes, toggling the fast startup setting can help resolve stop errors. On the search bar, type “Control Panel” and select it. Then select Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings. Under Shutdown settings, find Turn on fast startup (recommended). If this setting is turned off, select the check box. If it’s turned on,

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,195 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

Our great member jenae has provided the best fix for these update issues. Let us know if you have any questions.

Attached Files

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users