Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen at Startup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Crkowbuz

Crkowbuz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

My computer froze so I shut it down. Now when I start up the computer and log in, the just loads to a blue screen.

Loads error message:

The instruction at 0x referenced memory at 0x. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of Ox.

Any suggestions ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:43 PM

Start Windows in Safe Mode  https://support.eset.com/kb2268/

System Restore  http://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/2863/how_to_run_a_system_restore_in_safe_mode_windows_7

How to Fix Hard Drive Problems with Chkdsk  https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Edited by RokTV, 29 March 2018 - 11:52 PM.

#3 Crkowbuz

Crkowbuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the response. Won't load in safe mode either.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

I would disconnect and then reconnect the stated drive.  I/O errors, IME, may indicate connectivity problems between the drive and system.  Even better would be a change of drive cable to the motherboard.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 March 2018 - 02:24 PM.

#5 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/running-a-check-disk-with-an-easy-to-use-interface/

4. Run Check Disk from the Windows DVD

If you haven't got a DVD and don't know the product key to download the ISO image, try 5. Run ChkDsk From a Bootable Rescue Disk

Edited by RokTV, 31 March 2018 - 12:40 AM.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:05 AM

If "powered down" means you switched off the power, pulled the plug, pulled the battery, used the reset button, etc. sometimes that will result in (hopefully) minor corruption in the NT File System (NTFS).

if that is not the exact error message in it's entirety please relay the exact error message in it's entirety.

If the file system is corrupted you are unlikely to be booting in Safe Mode or any kind of mode.

What does "Won't load in safe mode either" mean?

Does that mean you can't get to the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu so you can't can choose Safe Mode?

Does that mean you can get to the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu where you can choose Safe Mode?

Does that mean you if/when you choose Safe Mode you get the same or similar error message?

If you can get the the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu do you or do you not see a "Repair Your Computer" option and if you choose that describe what happens.

Note that the "Repair Your Computer" option will not fix file system corruption.

If the system is a desktop fiddling with the hard drive data cable is possible but if the system is a laptop that may be a challenge.

As the message appears to be coming from Windows (and not the BIOS) it sounds like Windows is at least attempting to load/start.

It would be prudent to run a chkdsk with error correction (chkdsk  /r) on the drive but you are going to have to boot on something in order to do that.

Is the system hand built of components with a Windows Retail or System Builder Windows Product Key or is it an OEM system where it shipped from the factory with Windows installed?

If the system is a Dell what is the Service Tag Number?

If the system is an HP what is the Serial Number?

Does the system have a working CD/DVD drive and do you have a genuine Windows 7 bootable CD/DVD or USB?

Edited by joseibarra, 31 March 2018 - 05:08 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Crkowbuz

Crkowbuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

I can get to the safe mode. It loads to the log in screen. I enter my password and then it logs in, but in safe mode the screen remains black and no error message prompts.

#8 Crkowbuz

Crkowbuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

It is an HP Pavilion dv5 laptop. Windows 7. Serial :CNU0425ZNJ

#9 Crkowbuz

Crkowbuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

When I start up in regular mode. It loads to sign in, I enter my password, it loads and solid blue screen and then error message prompts.

The instruction at 0x000007FEF93740E6 referenced memory at 0x0000000003232FC0. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000185.

#10 Crkowbuz

Crkowbuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Summary of incident:

I was on the internet. The computer froze. Couldn't close out of anything. I held down the power button and shut it down. When I pressed the startup button again to start backup. This occurred.

#11 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:44 AM

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01884928 

Follow the instructions starting at "Repairing the file system if the hard drive is detected in BIOS" 

When you reach "System Recovery Options", select the Command Prompt

Type in chkdsk /r

Press enter

Edited by RokTV, 02 April 2018 - 12:27 AM.

#12 Crkowbuz

Crkowbuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:16 AM

Page you provided doesn't load. Do you have another link?

#13 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:29 AM

Copy and paste into google HP PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 7)

First result 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01884928

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users