Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Settings Changed To Default Prevents boot

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

I just installed Linux Mint 18.2 to this sweet little Dell Vostro 1510 using a USB.  I could not get it to boot with the F12 One Time Boot Mode Change.  So I had to change the Boot Order in BIOS Settings, and when I rebooted it would still not boot to USB.  Next I went and Choose the Temporary Boot Order with F-12 and the USB Entry was there.  Not sure Boot Order needed to be changed in BIOS Settings but it worked.  Maybe if I were a little more patient I could have gotten it with just the Quick Boot/Temporary Boot Options.

Now, I wanted to go back and change the Boot Order in BIOS Settings back to what they were, but I forgot what they were...O-boy.  So I used the Default Settings in hopes this would be the best choice for the little laptop to boot efficiently.  Well it was not, as some of you know this caused the pc to not boot.  

Default Settings set HDD as First in Boot order list.   I went back and chose the Optical Drive as First in Boot Order and HDD as Second, and now it boots, but it boots quite slow, not as well as at first.  

I'm wondering if I now need to set Boot Order in BIOS Settings the way it was upon Install of Linux Mint?  That is what I will do now, but can someone tell me a better way to do this, or did I just mess up by not sticking with the Temp Boot Options with F12?

Dell Vostro 1510 inxi -Fxz-18-2

userone@userone-Vostro1510 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: userone-Vostro1510 Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Dell product: Vostro1510 v: Null
           Mobo: Dell model: 0M277C Bios: Dell v: A13 date: 10/09/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T5670 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 7182
           clock speeds: max: 1801 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
           driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 5000 bus-ID: 07:00.0
           IF: enp7s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 282.1GB (9.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500BEVT size: 250.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 32.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 19G used: 5.6G (32%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 209G used: 240M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 2.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 174 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 678.0/2998.7MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
userone@userone-Vostro1510 ~ $ 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

Okay, all done!

Went to Xfce 18.3 64bit just to get a little edge on resources, and was hoping the boot issue would go away.  I think this is the way it is, this old pc just boots slow.  But to make things worse is, there is a Black Screen for too long in between booting windows.  I believe this is due to the 18xx Series, I never seen this in the 17xx Series.  And never installed 18 to such an old pc before.  This is fine for me, but this one will likely be going up for sale or donation. 

I'm fed up with Mate 18 not working correctly so that Distro is out for me.  I've wasted to much time with it since it has came out.  Simply put, the File Manager gets stuck in the Panel when Minimized, but only after Opening the Menu once or twice, I filed a bug report.  You can easily fix it by Right Clicking and Closing it, but it is a big deal breaker for me.  Again, this is fine for me, well, it's usable, but I don't want to have to explain to a customer that this is the way it is and there is no fixing it.  The weird thing is, the first laptop I installed Mate 18 too, had this problem, but the last time I worked on that pc, the problem went away.  Till this day don't know why.

This thing runs really well, but wish Mate didn't have that bug, Xfce is a little quirky for me but still pretty darn good.  Certainly better than the 17xx Series was IMO.

One weird thing is, the Fan Reading in Psensor was showing fan speeds, and then it doesn't.  I wonder if it doesn't read speeds under a certain RPM?

This was an old Vista pc, so it would have been better with Mate on it IMO, and it has 4GB of RAM, so it really had all it needs to run Mate well enough.  

CPU is handling things pretty well.  Can have multiple Browsers open, youtube playing, File Manager, Task Manager, LO Writer, and only using 1.2GB of Memory.  All while on this Bleepingcomputer heavy site LOL.  Should test it out on that horrible Yahoo! haha.

Still have that awful Linux Screen Tearing while in a Browser, though better in Chrome than Firefox.  I guess this is acceptable for a free Operating System.

pc out

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:01 PM

Wish I had read this before the install, don't know if it would have made a difference but....

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-xfce#TOC-An-older-version-Mint-18.1-or-the-latest-version-Mint-18.3-

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

Hey pcpunk,

This is only my experience.

Every computer I have ever installed and used Linux Mint on and it doesn't matter old or new computers Core 2 Duos or i5core processors and it doesn't matter what series or what version Linux Mint it has always been slow at booting up.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

Any info is good info at this point Toolman!

Have you recorded any boot times?

This one is booting right at 1:45 One minute and Forty Five Seconds.  Which is not horrible considering how old it is, and the low end Hardware on it.  I'm tempted to put 17.xx on their just to see, but I've wasted enough time with it, and 18 has a longer lifespan.  I've seen normal boot times on newer equipment myself, but no quicker than say MS.  I've also seen guys here in that one Thread about boot times, post Five Second times, ViperSecurity on his Dell XPS, but that is with an SSD also I believe.

The issue is for me is, all about the Black Screen during boot.  I'll need to explain this to a buyer if it is to be sold, and I don't like explaining such deficiencies with a product.  But the only alternative is the older, soon to die for support 17.xx Series.

I will also boot 18.1 to see if there are any Errors at boot.  18.2 and .3 both had some silly script during the Live Boot, and I've seen this in 17.xx's also, the .2 .3, so just for kicks will boot 18.1.  To bad it is this way, as users we always think the newest is the best, and I should no better myself, but I've not worked much with Linux Installs lately.

I do see a new BIOS Update, so I hope I can install that with only Linux on the machine.

Edited by pcpunk, 01 April 2018 - 01:44 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

Hey pcpunk,

I'd leave LM 18 on it and nope never recorded any full boot times because in my case it doesn't matter.

I don't no about 5 sec boot times as that just seems to good to be true imo.

I don't care what kind of hardware someone is running 5 sec boot times I'm not believing.

From a cold start to a startup menu without OS will take more than 5 sec.

Only my opinion.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:57 AM

I am running LM 18.3 (cinnamon) and from stone cold to operational takes 38 seconds.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:04 AM

I am running LM 18.3 (cinnamon) and from stone cold to operational takes 38 seconds.

That's more realistic than 5 seconds from a cold boot to usable.

On my old almost 10 year old computer listed in my signature its 1 minute from a cold boot to usable desktop with Peppermint 7.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

From a cold start to a startup menu without OS will take more than 5 sec.

Only my opinion.

You can give this a read if you like.  Some of those Dell XPS's will boot super fast, and with the 18 Series there is a way to record it, but forget how.

Yeah, those boot times you guys are reporting are good to me.  Most Windows machines I work on boot in 1:30 on mainstream hardware.

Again, my only complaint is the way it boots, with the black screen during part of the boot cycle.  I can only suspect it is because of the old Vista laptop.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

As long as the computer boots into the OS why worry about how long it takes.

I guess for those who use a laptop and are in the field where time is money than I guess I can see where boot times would perhaps matter

I sometimes power off my desktop at night before I crash however most of the time I leave the computer on 24-7 and restart sometime throughout the day when I step way from it.

In my opinion the 90 seconds to 120 seconds it may take from a cold dead power up never has been any concern or thought because imo what is important is how fast it preforms any needed task.

Edited by The-Toolman, 02 April 2018 - 01:12 PM.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

The issue is for me is, all about the Black Screen during boot.  I'll need to explain this to a buyer if it is to be sold, and I don't like explaining such deficiencies with a product.  But the only alternative is the older, soon to die for support 17.xx Series.

Not so much for me Toolman, but still boots a little slow even for me.  My KDE Boots slow also, but that is to be expected, and it shows some kind of activities during the process.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:19 PM

Not so much for me Toolman, but still boots a little slow even for me.  My KDE Boots slow also, but that is to be expected, and it shows some kind of activities during the process.

I think the black screen and the slow boot is Linux Mint tradition or has always been on my Linux Mint and it didn't make any difference which version or series LM 17 or LM 18 / Cinnamon / Mate / Xfce.

When mine is first loading I have black / blank screen and then the little Linux Mint logo before the Desktop appears.

Edited by The-Toolman, 02 April 2018 - 06:38 PM.

#13 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:08 AM

Boot times are determined by the hardware an OS is running on, and the number of processes loaded at bootup.

So if you want to improve your boot time, then you need to either improve your hardware, or reduce the number of "auto start" processes being loaded at bootup.

Personally I'm like Toolman, and am not overly worried by how long it takes for my machines to boot. I boot once when I get up in the morning, and leave my computer, or computers (depending on what I'm doing) running all day, so what's a minute to me here or there.

All I want is boot reliability, and stability.

That's why I've just removed Mint 18.3 Cinammon from one of my machines. The same machine ran Mint 17.2 Cinnamon for years without issue, and I recently updated it to 18.3 and it was a disaster. Oh it ran fine from the Live USB, and the install went without issue, but then the boot problems started, so I ripped it out, reinstalled 17.2, and now it's humming away as happily as it ever did.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

""That's why I've just removed Mint 18.3 Cinammon from one of my machines.""

....that intrigues me...there are a few here on BC who have trouble with 18.3 booting etc.....yet, I have no trouble at all.

must be the hardware I guess.

Spoiler

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#15 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:13 AM

Must be the hardware I guess

Could be, this particular machine has always been a bit picky as to what will run on it.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users