Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows seems to be broken

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 okbye9085

okbye9085

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

I'm not sure which windows version we have here so I picked this forum. My mom has an Asus laptop that she bought new last year. I don't know which windows version it has on it but since it was new I would guess 10. It is giving the error message through werfault of 0x000009c and I read the info on removing that but I have no access to the computer. When you close the error box all you get is a dark blue screen with nothing on it.
On starting it it opens to the log in screen and lets you log in. Then when you are logged in you get the error box, and after that blank screen. I don't see any way to open anything at all. I can't even look at what version it is. I tried click on various places and pressing various buttons, including Windows icon + R like the error repair instructions said but nothing.
Now about 4 days ago I was looking at it because it was super slow and it was giving a different error message. It had a pop up in the events box (oh, duh, it must be ver. 10. It has the event box) saying there was an error in windows and click here to fix it. Clicking on 'there' took me to a page about active x errors but nothing specific about fixing anything. Tried several times. I ran virus and malware scans and it seemed to be doing better and she used it for 2 days. Now for the last 2 days she hasn't been able to get logged on. I am at a complete loss. I have never messed with a laptop before and don't know much in general about computers. I've had to fix enough problems in my time but if I haven't seen it before forget it.
So I'm thinking this needs a do over, is that correct?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meoluoikhongbietcuoi

meoluoikhongbietcuoi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Before buying a product, you must know the information. At the same time need to look at the attitude from the service provider you again.

#3 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:35 PM

Try to start in safe mode https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1013074/

Edited by RokTV, 29 March 2018 - 11:36 PM.

#4 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:37 PM

https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/system-restore-safe-mode-windows-10-4348.html

System Restore from safe mode

Edited by RokTV, 29 March 2018 - 11:38 PM.

#5 okbye9085

okbye9085
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:29 AM

Before buying a product, you must know the information. At the same time need to look at the attitude from the service provider you again.

I didn't buy it, my 71 year old mother did. She didn't ask me first.

Try to start in safe mode https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1013074/

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. I've never had a laptop myself, I don't know where anything is on this thing.

#6 okbye9085

okbye9085
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

I can't get it into safe mode. I can follow these directions to step 5 https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1013074 All the pictures are the same, I get the same boxes. But when I press 4 for safe mode it just restarts normally. I've tried f4 and the regular number pad, a few times each.
I tried a system restore twice anyway out of safe mode and it quit both times at 34%.

I accidently figured out how to get it in BIOS but didn't see anything helpful there.

Edited by okbye9085, 30 March 2018 - 08:51 PM.

#7 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:22 AM

Same page https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1013074/

"If your computer can't automatically be directed to Windows RE(Recovery Environment) ,you can long press Power button to power on the device. When ASUS logo appears on the screen ,hold and press Power button until your computer shutdown forcely . After repeating this step for 3 times, your computer will enter Windows RE."

Then Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Command Prompt

Then  number 4 here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026030/how-to-use-windows-recovery-environment-winre-to-troubleshoot-common-s

#8 okbye9085

okbye9085
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:31 PM

Most of what it said in the command box after I started step #5 the CHKDSK

This type of file system is NTFS
Volume label is OS

Stage 1
file segment .... is unreadable. (about 6 different numbers)

Trying one more time....It hasn't been unplugged for long but I'm going to go get the cord just in case that's what it is, but it started again when I tried so it's not dead.

It's going after I plugged it in. On step 7 now. It said it deleted and fixed a bunch of files in 6.

Well crap. It says 'windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation'

Step 8 said the scratch directory might be too small for this operation but it seems to be doing it.

Well I tried several times but neither of the last 2 scans would complete. I tried starting it up and it was the same blank screen and error message. What the heck is next?

Edited by okbye9085, 31 March 2018 - 10:16 PM.

#9 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:06 AM

As before "If your computer can't automatically be directed to Windows RE(Recovery Environment) ,you can long press Power button to power on the device. When ASUS logo appears on the screen ,hold and press Power button until your computer shutdown forcely . After repeating this step for 3 times, your computer will enter Windows RE."

Then Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Command Prompt

Type into the Command Prompt

dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions  

Press enter

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/48d20da9-0535-462f-b177-f30f48992203/how-to-removing-a-pending-update-that-is-preventing-a-successful-boot?forum=w7itprogeneral

chkdsk /r C:

Press enter

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:25 AM

I ran virus and malware scans and it seemed to be doing better and she used it for 2 days.

What did it find?

#11 okbye9085

okbye9085
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:34 AM

"Type into the Command Prompt

Press enter"

Doing that gives me error 1639  The command is missing a required service command. I tried it with image=c: and got the same thing

#12 okbye9085

okbye9085
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:36 AM

Opera - The virus scan showed nothing and Malware bytes found 60some pup things, nothing major.

Edited by okbye9085, 01 April 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#13 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:50 AM

Go on to

chkdsk /r C:

Press enter

#14 okbye9085

okbye9085
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:59 AM

Ok, it's doing something. The estimate is 267 hours and climbing, hope that is incorrect, lol.

#15 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:09 AM

Make sure there is a space between the \ (after C:) and the / (before cleanup-image)

Edited by RokTV, 01 April 2018 - 01:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users