Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want my 7 back.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 feverspore

feverspore

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

Ok, I have a single partition c: with windows 10 64 bit installed.

I want to get rid of it and go back to 7.

So... can I just create a second partition on the c: install 7 to it, then delete the win 10 partition? What do I need to do in the bios?

I googled but it seems everyone is going up to 10. Good luck I say.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

yes you can do that.....

however its probably easier to delete the partition BEFORE you install 7.....

just wipe the whole drive and install 7....back up files first of course

#3 feverspore

feverspore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.

But what about the bios? ufi etc

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

you dont need to change anything in the bios

#5 feverspore

feverspore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

perfect. 

Thank you stranger.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:39 PM

make sure you install the same VERSION of windows 7 that you originally had.....or it will not activate

#7 feverspore

feverspore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Wait, what?

Even after formatting?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

It is unclear whether the machine under discussion came with Windows 10 installed, or was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

If it's the former, a new retail copy of Windows 7 will need to be purchased.  If the latter you will need the OEM product key for the original version of Windows 7 that came with the machine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 feverspore

feverspore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

I just bought it and it came with windows 10. The shop guy told me it originally had win 8.

I don't understand how that is relevant if i am completely deleting the partition then doing a clean 7.

Could you explain a bit? I'm here to learn ..

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

If you bought the computer and it had Windows 10 installed on it from the original equipment manufacturer then all you have a license for is Windows 10.

Since you've been told it started out life as a Windows 8 machine, you could roll-back to Windows 8 without having to buy it since the equivalent of the digital entitlement that is used with Windows 10 started being used with Windows 8.

You do not now, nor have ever, had a license to use Windows 7 on the machine under discussion.  The only way you can legally install Windows 7 is by buying a the version of Windows 7 (or at least the license key, I think you can still download the Windows 7 ISO) you want for the machine.  You cannot just install Windows 7 and expect it to activate unless you have purchased the license key to make that occur.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

I just bought it and it came with windows 10. The shop guy told me it originally had win 8.

I don't understand how that is relevant if i am completely deleting the partition then doing a clean 7.

Could you explain a bit? I'm here to learn ..

oh wait.....i thought you previously had windows 7 on the computer.....your title "i want my 7 BACK"

you will need to purchase a windows 7 product key if you never had windows 7 before,

they can be found cheap on ebay

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

I really cannot understand wanting to install an operating system that will have support for it dropped in less than 2 years.

Anyone who's going to stay a part of the Windows ecosystem (with a supported version of the OS) needs to use Windows 10.  It's not all that different from Windows 7, either, with a slight bit of tweaking.  The one thing I really do miss is the Aero GUI.  This flat-look stuff that's now all the rage is harder to navigate, but *everyone* has jumped on that bandwagon.

~ Brian Vogel

#13 feverspore

feverspore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:02 PM

You have a point, but I only paid $100 for this computer and I don't expect it to survive for 2 more years. 

Also, I have a few issues with windows 10 and dumping it is just easier than fighting with it for now.

One, my browser keeps randomly vanishing for brief periods of time, then magically coming back. I have eleviated that by shutting off the hardware acceleration in the browser (chrome).

Secondly, the good ol' windows 10 screen goes black issue..which I also had the last time I tried it..on a different pc.

Not to mention all of the bloat that comes with 10, like XBOX Gaming. No thanks.

anywho, thank you for your help.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

Given the descriptions you've given, I strongly suspect that your hardware may fail well before 2 years pass.  There are "characteristic issues" when Windows 10 is installed on hardware that's really not meant to support it, but what you describe goes beyond anything I've yet to encounter.

Best of luck keeping things together (and I mean that) regardless of what you try.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users