Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A ??? About Running Windows Software on Linux

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

I am just getting started with Linux (Mint - Cinnamon) and have a wonder...

If I installed Wine on the computer, is my computer then subject to all the liberties that Microsoft takes in violating just about all my privacy issues on the machine?  I do not appreciate that Windows forces us to accept those terms (especially Windows 10!) in order to access software that has nothing to do with the Microsoft team, and I wonder about this.  I am hoping that I will be able to fully function with software that is Linux friendly, but there is some mighty nice programs written with Windows in mind.

Also, what about Macbooks?  I think there's a program that one can install on Mac that makes it possible to run Windows software.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

Nope wine ids its own thing

As for Macs Wine is also on that

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

I am just getting started with Linux (Mint - Cinnamon) and have a wonder...

If I installed Wine on the computer, is my computer then subject to all the liberties that Microsoft takes in violating just about all my privacy issues on the machine?  I do not appreciate that Windows forces us to accept those terms (especially Windows 10!) in order to access software that has nothing to do with the Microsoft team, and I wonder about this.  I am hoping that I will be able to fully function with software that is Linux friendly, but there is some mighty nice programs written with Windows in mind.

Also, what about Macbooks?  I think there's a program that one can install on Mac that makes it possible to run Windows software.

Thanks.

When you install Windows 10 you can disable any and all telemetry features that you want. It is not like a smartphone that keeps track of everything that you do. Windows 10 does not track individuals like a smartphone does, it simply uses telemetry to understand hardware and app usage.

Windows 10 will never pry like a smartphone.

Macs do pry almost as much as a smartphone, so stay away from Macs.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

@ LittleGreenDots :-

Madman's right, of course. 

WINE essentially runs a simulated, real-time Windows environment inside a 'container'.....or 'prefix', as the WINE team like to call it. But it's not Windows.

The chances of your Linux OS getting any infections, or being wrung dry by invasive telemetry, are so vanishingly small as to equate to zero. Some folks, however, won't believe that no matter what you tell 'em.....and are of the opinion that Windows and Linux should be firmly kept on different machines.

Ask Cat1092 about his views on this one!

Example; I run the occasional scan with Comodo's AV for Linux. This essentially checks for Windows infections, not Linux ones.....yet despite using WINE for a fair few Windoze apps for quite a while now, it's never yet detected a single item. Not one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always take the view that there's no shame in using Windows and Linux software alongside each other. A number of Linux apps are equal to, or superior to their Windoze counterparts; for other things, Windoze is definitely the winner. You use what gets the job done, in the best way for you.

There's precious little to be gained by being so dogmatic about the whole issue that you end up shooting yourself in the foot.....  :P

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 March 2018 - 02:59 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

Thanks.

It's called Boot Camp.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

the easy project guy gives a WINE  explanation that is not so savory..

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/wine

Edited by synergy513, 29 March 2018 - 07:07 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

running windows on Linux ..???!!...why would you do that ?....i can understand that there are some windows programs that cant be duplicated on Linux....but tby the same token, there are many programs on Linux that cant be duplicated on Windows.

Dont Panic.

Play with Linux. Read my post at your previos topic about Timeshift (just in case you break it  !!)

More specifically.......which programs are you missing the most ?....what do you use your PC for ?....browsing, facebook, some type of work, cad programs, business, emails, ????

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#8 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 734 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:52 AM

When you install Windows 10 you can disable any and all telemetry features that you want. It is not like a smartphone that keeps track of everything that you do. Windows 10 does not track individuals like a smartphone does, it simply uses telemetry to understand hardware and app usage.

Windows 10 will never pry like a smartphone.

Disabling telemetry using the "settings" in W10 does not fully remove W10's ability to "phone home", and it's usually necessary to take further measures if you want want to prevent that happening (and I'm not even sure that it is possible).

It's hard to know exactly why Microsoft collects all the information it does (and exactly just what it collects as well). Certainly it uses much of the information to improve its products, but it would be naive to think that they data mine you solely for that purpose.

The large number of "web beacons" and other data collecting devices, found on most sites these days, testifies to the "commercial value" of people's data, and I would be very very surprised if Microsoft were not trying to monetise the data they collect in some way or other.

Edited by Gary R, 30 March 2018 - 03:05 AM.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:18 AM

the easy project guy gives a WINE  explanation that is not so savory..

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/wine

Mm-hm. I agree; purely from the point of view of safety & security, VMs are very definitely the way to go.....if you happen to be running modern hardware, with large amounts of RAM & powerful, multi-core processors with VT instruction sets.

For those of us running Linux on older, less capable hardware, WINE is by far the best compromise. And for those of us using Puppy, if owt goes wrong it's a 10-minute job to replace the save-file/folder with a backup. (With Pup's unique mode of operation, this isn't such an issue anyway; it's perfectly possible to run your Puppy install in the same manner as a LiveSession if you wish, by the simple expedient of entering pfix=ram at boot-time...)

I've never yet once had a single problem due to running WINE. And just because one individual (who posts extremely good, easy-to-use guides.....I've used them myself in the past) absolutely hates WINE, is no reason for everybody else to run scared of it; there must be thousands of folks out there that use WINE on a day-to-day basis, who, like me, have never had the slightest issue with it.

It is, of course, a totally individual choice.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 March 2018 - 05:25 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

Personally I've found WINE very helpful, one should be warned that it won't work for every piece of windows software you may want to run and success may vary between versions of the software (v6.05 of software.exe may run fine under WINE, v8.2 might not) , but it will handle some of them. The key reason to use WINE would be, I suppose, because either you don't have a windows system on which to run windows software, or you don't want to have to go through the bother of dual booting into windows, doing your stuff and returning to linux. Typically WINE will run faster than a windows virtual machine, this is because WINE creates a windows like environment for software to interact with but doesn't try to simulate a full windows OS and folder structure for the software to interact with while a VM creates a whole full windows system which has to be run. As far as viruses go you should be safe so long as the programs you use under WINE are programs used for local work on files on your PC, rather than programs used to access the internet in some way or another. So running photo-editing, CAD or document processing software under WINE would be fine, as would offline games, but running a browser through WINE would be risky (and I would tend to think pointless) and games with online elements may have risks too. If you are using the software under WINE to process files downloaded from sources you can't 100% trust then you might want to scan files using the virustotal website before opening them in the software you run under WINE.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:29 PM

A ??? About Running Windows Software on Linux

No Windows software will not run on Linux, you might be able to run some software using wine but don't count on it.

Heres an example of what it takes to run MS office in Wine.

How To Install Microsoft Office 2010 In Ubuntu With Wine

Edited by NickAu, 05 April 2018 - 10:31 PM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,478 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

Sorry for the Hijack, but I wonder if Speccy will run under Wine, has anyone tried this?  I will try it if someone explains how to use Wine lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Wine can usually be installed from the main repository of most distros (Mint repository, Ubuntu one...). I don't know if speccy is the sort of software that can really be handled by wine, it is designed to gather low level system details and I don't know if it does this in a windows specific way, furthermore it might be the case that only older versions of speccy can be run like this (Wine seems mainly optimised to run windows programs from the XP era). Anyway, below I've put some tips about installing wine, but generally for installing windows programs with wine it is best to see if you can find program specific instructions by someone who has tried it before for the program you want to install.

First download wine from your relevant repository

then run the terminal command sudo apt-get install winetricks
winetricks can make installing programs under wine easier
you might need to configure wine by running winecfg in the terminal and setting the version of windows you want wine to act as (xp,7,8,8.1,10...)
then try opening the installer exe file for your windows program using by going nto the folder where you have saved the exe file and using "open with-->wine windows program loader" which should be shown as an option for .exe files once wine has been installed. Click through the installer and hope it works, if not search online for tips about your specific program, in your case speccy, on wine. If your program installs ok then you should be able to see it installed in the "wine" or "other" section of your linux applications menu. You can also usually run programs under wine by doing
wine "C:\Program Files\wherever you\told the\installer\exe file\to put\ the program.exe"
in your linux terminal. That file path is based on where the exe file required to run the program (different from the installer exe file) would have been put if installed on a windows machine, so some sub directory of "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" usually. You will probably have seen this as the default file path while you were working through the installer.

Personally I use wine for running Google Sketchup 8 and Notepad ++ (whatever version was latest in October 2017), it works well for these on Linux Mint 17.3 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS computers though there are some small bugs and launchers and links to wine programs can be a bit unreliable for me.

The wineHQ database tells you about programs people have tried under wine and what tweaks they have tried, I haven't looked in great detail but here is the page for speccy on wine, it doesn't look too hopeful, most speccy versions are considered "garbage" under wine (won't run at all) and the best luck anyone has had yet seems to be a "bronze" rating meaning some aspects may work if you are lucky. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=12584 That said the latest tests on their are quite old, things might have improved since.

Another option is PlayOnLinux but I have no experience of this at all.

Edited by rp88, 08 April 2018 - 11:52 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users