Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easeus what is wrong here?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 im4bsd

im4bsd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:51 AM

Recently, Easeus Backup software was recommended to me and I see that throughout this forum there are users recommending easeus, so I thought I'd give it a try, attempted to download the free version from the what I believe to be the Developer's website
(https://www.easeus.com/) and at this stage the AV I was using was Windows Defender which I have edited registry to enable WD to scan for PUA, whilst attempting to download installer (tb_free.exe) I was confronted with the following at the bottom of page:- tb_free.exe contained a virus and was deleted (1st capture link below)

Thinking that maybe this wan't correct I started up my Mint machine and downloaded application, once downloaded I uploaded the installer to Virustotal the results of that are are the 2nd capture in the following link:-

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvIa1TH6yguphHOzZbIFswEERtCb

Needless to say I haven't attempted to install as 1 maybe a false positive but 10 is a bit hard to ignore, I've done this several times over a week just in case there may have been a problem and it cleared up, this didn't happen.

So, could someone with the knowledge/skill to have a look at this and see if there's something that shouldn't be in there and is, or is this standard for this company and this has always been the case and is the cost for using free version.

I'm not after opinions or reviews.

Please, I'm new to this forum and if my question is posted in the wrong place by all means move or advise where to go with this. If it goes against guidelines or policy, delete.

regards

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2018 - 07:39 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

That was a stub installer that probably offered other products during the install flagging it as a PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application). Download the full install here. You should get a clean scan with Windows Defender.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 March 2018 - 09:23 AM.

#3 im4bsd

im4bsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

That was a stub installer that probably offered other products during the install flagging it as a PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application). Download the full install here. You should get a clean scan with Windows Defender.

Thanks for getting back,

Did as asked downloaded from both mirrors but I have now installed Trend Micro it came up clean but it got flagged by Eset when I uploaded to Virustotal,

Attached File  VT.PNG   339.5KB   0 downloads

I know Hitmanpro uploads to Virustotal but for interest I used it on the Vendors installer (left)  and the one (right) you directed me to the results here.

Attached File  Vendor.PNG   297.93KB   0 downloads      Attached File  Majorgeeks.PNG   48.74KB   0 downloads

I downloaded Eset online scanner and in the options if PUPs enabled sure enough finds and wants to delete installer, if this is disabled whilst scanning comes up clean.

Not knowing what it is trying to install would I be right in assuming that when I start the install that I will be looking for a check box to un/check and if I don't find one then best not to install?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

I would have to say the Eset scan is a false positive. Right, be aware of any offers the install gives you but I doubt there will be any. If you do not see any offers then it will be okay to install. As long as you uncheck anything offered you will still be okay.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 March 2018 - 07:10 PM.

#5 im4bsd

im4bsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:37 AM

I would have to say the Eset scan is a false positive. Right, be aware of any offers the install gives you but I doubt there will be any. If you do not see any offers then it will be okay to install. As long as you uncheck anything offered you will still be okay.

Once I started install read License Agreement, then proceeded this was presented

Attached File  installer.PNG   12.49KB   0 downloads

Decided that I'd opt out of Cust. Exp. Improvement Program then hit next

Attached File  Bing snip.PNG   21.16KB   0 downloads

Ok, we're getting to the bit I think Eset was trying to warn about in the above screenshot
the checkbox  is confusing as what appears to be links "Terms of Use" "Privacy Policy" & the "click here" (uninstall information) don't work. so if you click next the following comes up

Attached File  winzip.PNG   37.54KB   0 downloads

Went back to previous window and decided to uncheck box and hit next were it proceeded to install, all went well I created a backup made a rescue drive tested drive to see if bootable. Then I realised I hadn't taken a screenshot of the winzip window, So thinking it be easy enough I can uninstall easeus begin installation again screenshot the winzip window and go ahead and reinstall.
Tried to uninstall the windows way it asked for reboot then after reboot tried to install and the following came up

Attached File  Failed Uninstall.PNG   20.07KB   0 downloads

Ok so another reboot, followed by the same again, then I tried Revo uninstaller with the same result.
So the only way back was to a macrium reflect image I took prior to trying to install this where I could go through to take the screenshot I needed.
 I've decided not to proceed with installing the software as I feel that it's not functioning as it should if you hit "Uninstall" to me in my language means remove.
Something is terribly wrong here and I don't feel that it's up to you and I to attempt to fix it.
Just for the record, I used "Windows System Image" after I did initial install and update then Mac Reflect (Full Backup,Differentials) thereafter, but with hearing Microsoft is depracating this, if not already there own utility and advising users to find a 3rd party vendor, I might have a look at Paragon or Aomei's Backupper

Thank You very much for your assistance.

I'll include the 2 capture here that i posted in the original post as the link to them is sheduled to expire

Attached File  1.PNG   490.58KB   0 downloads  Attached File  2.PNG   345.21KB   0 downloads

Edited by im4bsd, 30 March 2018 - 05:41 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for posting this. I use both Macrium and Aomei and have not run into these offers with either.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for posting this. I use both Macrium and Aomei and have not run into these offers with either.

Neither have I, but given the seemingly inexorable trend of the loathsome practice of bundling, it probably won't be long until you do.

I have been using Unchecky for quite a while now and it's been a godsend.  That being said, the `clever bundlers` are now even coming up with ways to include some sort of checkbox that Unchecky cannot detect, though it's still worth having.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 im4bsd

im4bsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:46 AM

Aomei Clean, checked license ageement and there's opt in/out checkbox for either ads or user experiece programme (data collection) choice and it's where they say it is in the menu so can opt whilst installing or after which is fine. Works.

Suggest running own checks as could be different tomorrow

Thanks for the suggestion

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

I also have unchecky, while it sometimes does not get the chance to uncheck something, it often gives a warning for the end-user to...beware.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 im4bsd

im4bsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:05 PM

@ JohnC_21
@ britechguy
@ RolandJS

I’ve been periodical dropping back to vendors website just out of curiousity and downloading free
version and uploading to VT (date shown on capture). Appears that couple more AV’s have got on board.
I thought I’d drop back in (Easeus) today and at this time, interestingly, the free version was not made available, the only choice is a trial version, when free download selected,
 As I didn’t attempt to install the Free Version from this site I’m not sure if it was packaged with bundled garbage or not I do have the Stub Installer laying around somewhere but
if you don’t have the trust in it, what do you do.

The Trial version  can be 100% clean for all I know but I won’t be the one to check this out by installing.

Brian, I agree with you about the practice (bundling) also when they are referred to as a PUP or PUA  I think this is rather polite, I can think of couple of words that might be more suitable
 but I would probably be barred/banned.

Last  VT scan I did:-                                                                                  Website:-

Attached File  1 VTscan tb_free.PNG   489.73KB   0 downloads                                            

I do understand that being free, that as the saying goes that’s getting around that “you become the product”, ads and/or machine data collection to improve product for the paid version are one thing but trying to slide other software that may or may not be wanted on a user’s machine is another.

Who knows the free version might be reoffered at sometime and it may scan clean we’ll see

Should any screenshots posted here violate any laws whatsoever please feel free to delete offending items

Attached Files

Edited by im4bsd, 04 April 2018 - 03:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users